Religious Right hypocrites cheer Trump at summit
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:37:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Religious Right hypocrites cheer Trump at summit
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Religious Right hypocrites cheer Trump at summit  (Read 5804 times)
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 13, 2017, 01:24:59 PM »

America's religious right vanquished any doubts about their complete and total hypocrisy today with their warm welcome for a vain noted adulterer, drug user, sexual predator who is obviously utterly ignorant of the Bible and is virtually a living counterexample to any set of Christian virtues you could name.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/355314-trump-gets-heros-welcome-at-christian-summit
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 01:26:17 PM »

This take is two years old.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 01:29:30 PM »

Let me guess .... trump approached the podium with a bible in his hand, and all the bird-brains looked at him like the next coming of Christ.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 01:30:57 PM »

And just as correct as it was two years ago.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 01:32:47 PM »

“Thou shalt begin a nuclear war.” - The Book of Drumpf 6:66
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 01:37:25 PM »

Evangelical Christianity is the mouthpiece of and ideological medium for the transmission of elitist controlled values and beliefs. It primarily serves to assuage natural human negative reactions to inhumane social conditions and organize people behind a policy agenda that serves particular interests. Critical thought is discouraged, while human capital and energy is directed towards bigotry, nationalism, rallying around capitalism, and directing your frustrations towards non-constructive actions, such as prayer. Meanwhile, megachurch pastors get filthy rich and right-wing special interests are promoted while also cultivating a uniform voting base that works against their own self-interest and focuses on distraction issues.

That Trump received such a large percentage of the Evangelical vote and such a warm welcome should be absolutely unsurprising.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 01:38:34 PM »

I wonder how many of them are posting ads on craigslist for gay sex this weekend...
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 01:55:52 PM »

“Thou shalt begin a nuclear war.” - The Book of Drumpf 6:66
Let me guess .... trump approached the podium with a bible in his hand, and all the bird-brains looked at him like the next coming of Christ.
You are both spot on.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 03:02:43 PM »

I wonder how many of them are posting ads on craigslist for gay sex this weekend...

Ouch !
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 03:33:28 PM »

My point is that this is no news.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 03:41:12 PM »

That is why they are so angry. The self hatred eats them alive.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 04:14:48 PM »

I thought Trump was the most LGBT-friendly Republican ever?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2017, 04:15:50 PM »

One thing I wonder is that the excuse frequently given for the extremely hypocritical and morally bankrupt behavior of the religious right with Trump, that "they are trying to accomplish bigger goals and don't have to like/approve of Trump to support him in supporting their goals," if they are really only tolerating him to essentially milk what they can policy-wise, why are they going out of their way to be so supportive? It's one thing to put up with his absurdity, but they don't have to like it nor pretend to. I guess you could say that they have to pretend to love Trump in order to get him to do what they want, but it seems a lot like they have completely lost their way and that religion is really only 2nd (or 3rd...or 4th..etc) place to their #1 goal of gaining power and influence. You don't get to march around all pious like, telling people what they should or should not being doing, or what is right or wrong, judging them, when you don't even stick to your own principles yourself and sell out entirely when you think someone - anyone can deliver on your political agenda.

I think what Jacobin said sounds about right. Religion is just being used and abused by these kinds of people. It's really about power and wealth. At this point, we've all seen what comes first.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2017, 04:23:50 PM »
« Edited: October 13, 2017, 04:25:57 PM by PR »

You don't get to march around all pious like, telling people what they should or should not being doing, or what is right or wrong, judging them, when you don't even stick to your own principles yourself and sell out entirely when you think someone - anyone can deliver on your political agenda.

Kinda like the House of Saud, then?

Anyway, the Religious Right has always been a political movement, not a religious one (see: the 1980 presidential election) - although that's not entirely fair to the charismatic, manipulative, abusive megalomaniacs and hucksters who make up the "Prosperity Gospel" movement.  I suppose that they can be considered a sort of religion, to the extent that modern American cults in general are religions.

Note that many of these men - and they are mostly men - are serial womanizers (or worse) and embezzlers themselves, and project a domineering "alpha male" (read: bullying a--hole) image. Is it any coincidence that the Prosperity Gospel types were Trump's largest base of early political support among evangelicals?

Birds of a feather...
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2017, 04:30:48 PM »

We all fall short of the glory of God. Some are more flawed than others. If it takes an unrighteous vehicle to achieve righteous goals, so be it.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2017, 04:32:07 PM »

It makes me sick that its effing 2017 and these bigots feel empowered.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2017, 04:46:26 PM »

Ouch !

It is a legit question though lol.

Most of these "god-fearing" conservatives are closet freaks.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2017, 05:24:10 PM »

Ouch !

It is a legit question though lol.

Most of these "god-fearing" conservatives are closet freaks.

Yep. AKA Scott Presler
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2017, 05:30:49 PM »

I respect closeted people.
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2017, 07:46:03 PM »

Meanwhile, liberal hypocrites in Hollywood lecture us on ''women's rights'' and the evils of Trump while their industry is chock full of sexual predators. Where is your criticism of their hypocrisy? These people routinely help finance liberal campaigns, so you can't say they have no significant political influence.

if they are really only tolerating him to essentially milk what they can policy-wise, why are they going out of their way to be so supportive?

I supported Darrell Castle in last year's election. I liked Trump's populist platform, but was uncomfortable with some of his behavior and his history of ideological inconsistency. Trump is not my ideal president, nor do I go out of my way to defend literally everything he ever says or does. That said, one of the main reasons he has my support now is the fact that, in many cases, we both have the same enemies. Not giving Trump at least some level of support means effectively siding with and emboldening them.
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2017, 07:57:06 PM »

Now I realize you cannot truly know what is in a persons heart so it is hard to determine if they are a Christian or not many times but I think it is fairly clear most of these people are not. Embracing someone like Trump would be fine if he had legitimately changed his ways but when it is clearly all just a facade and they still embrace it because his talking points match their political desires it is certainly hard to consider them Christians. But then there are many people who claim to be Christian snd say it does not matter how they live because they are "saved by grace" yet these same people turn around and are so judgmental towards others. Indeed they are hypocrites and are much like those who rejected Jesus at his time on earth. These kind of people give Christianity a bad name and are why so many turn away from it these days. Yes we should try not to judge others but when their actions cause such harm to others it is difficult not to call them out on it. I mean on value based issues I may even agree with the religious right in many aspects but they go about it in such an awful manner and indeed embrace hypocritial figures like Trump if it means acconplishing legal goals. Their goals should not be legal ones that will change nothing and be undone with the changing of politics in DC but rather with an attempt to change the hearts of people.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2017, 08:43:46 PM »

F#ck Pharisees.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2017, 11:08:36 PM »

Just start referring to them as the 'No Values Voters.'
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2017, 02:34:26 AM »

But if Barack Obama held a Bible the Religious  Right would be convinced that it was all for show to hide that he is a Muslim.

(Cue the duck that serves as a spokesman for an insurance company). .
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2017, 02:38:00 AM »

But if Barack Obama held a Bible the Religious  Right would be convinced that it was all for show to hide that he is a Muslim.

(Cue the duck that serves as a spokesman for an insurance company). .

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies