South Dakota High School cancels homecoming after racist stunt
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:33:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  South Dakota High School cancels homecoming after racist stunt
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: South Dakota High School cancels homecoming after racist stunt  (Read 2277 times)
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2017, 04:15:01 PM »
« edited: October 13, 2017, 04:17:15 PM by ProudModerate2 »

Ugly stuff.
South Dakota .... yeah, it makes sense.

Does South Dakota have a more racist history than California or something...?

Stop, I know you are smarter than that.
Not necessarily a "more racist history" but the kids/people there have less exposure to "other" cultures. This leads to individuals (predominately white in SD) that are "less tolerant" to respecting and seeing as equal, others who are different. In addition, almost everyone around you in SD is wearing "the red hat," so they all tend to jump-on-the-band-wagon, or else be punished for being different in your own community. So "the hate" and "intolerance" characteristics that the Red-Hat-Fuhrer himself exhibits, then rubs-off on his sheep (If the President of the Unites States can say/do it, then why not little-ole'-me ?).
Cashew
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2017, 04:18:27 PM »

Apparently one incident means we have to cancel everything now.

It's almost like they're teaching the kids that actions have consequences, and that they can end up paying the price for the actions of their peers.
Why do the 99.99% of kids who didn't partake in this have to suffer the consequences?

Because learning their lesson by now by getting homecoming canceled is preferable to learning it later from bombs, artillery and head-chopping religious fanatics.

collective punishment is an abomination.

Vandalizing someone's car with a racist insult is an abomination.

That's not a counterargument.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2017, 04:23:19 PM »

There was clearly no vandalism... learn to read, folks.
You must be logged in to read this quote.

This is a homecoming ritual.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2017, 04:24:42 PM »

It's almost like they're teaching the kids that actions have consequences, and that they can end up paying the price for the actions of their peers.
Why do the 99.99% of kids who didn't partake in this have to suffer the consequences?

Not very good at math are you?
Can you come up with an exact percentage?

Please return to your bridge.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2017, 04:28:47 PM »

Alright, I did the math. If one student was responsible for the vandalism then 99.85401459854015% of students would be innocent. My estimate was pretty close.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2017, 04:30:13 PM »

Good, America's institutions should show absolutely ZERO tolerance for racism. I know the president and 12 year-old 4chan users like to encourage bigotry and racial superiority, but it's 2017 and this sh**t shouldn't be happening.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2017, 04:32:42 PM »

Good, America's institutions should show absolutely ZERO tolerance for racism. I know the president and 12 year-old 4chan users like to encourage bigotry and racial superiority, but it's 2017 and this sh**t shouldn't be happening.
I applaud their intolerance of racism but the vast majority of students are not racist.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2017, 04:34:35 PM »

To be fair, who really cares about "Homecoming" except jocks, cheerleaders and the parents of students who once fell into one of those two categories and still want to live vicariously?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2017, 04:37:16 PM »

To be fair, who really cares about "Homecoming" except jocks, cheerleaders and the parents of students who once fell into one of those two categories and still want to live vicariously?
Normal white people...
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2017, 04:37:36 PM »

Alright, I did the math. If one student was responsible for the vandalism then 99.85401459854015% of students would be innocent. My estimate was pretty close.

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2017, 04:38:16 PM »

Zero tolerance policies and collective punishment policies are garbage, but that's not really a political issue. If they know who's actually responsible, they should be punished harshly, possibly expelled. If they know who's responsible, there's also no grounds to punish the rest of the school.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2017, 04:39:03 PM »

THERE. WAS. NO. VANDALISM.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2017, 04:39:52 PM »

Not only are you so bad at math that you think being wrong by a factor of ten is close, your reading comprehension is terrible too.

Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2017, 04:40:44 PM »

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.
Or when it doesn't really matter if you're 0.05% off.

And why does anybody care?
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2017, 04:43:45 PM »

Not only are you so bad at math that you think being wrong by a factor of ten is close, your reading comprehension is terrible too.

Even if it was 10 students, 99.85% of students would still be innocent. That still doesn't change the fact that the vast majority of students weren't involved.
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2017, 04:52:41 PM »

Hmm. I can understand punishing the student body as a whole if the school had no idea who did it and no one came forward(though would probably still disagree.) But if pictures were posted on social media it seems really easy to identify the perpetrators and hell,anyone who "liked" it and punish them. Not sure why it needs to go further than that, honestly, and I think it could be counter productive.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2017, 05:15:35 PM »

Even if it was 10 students, 99.85% of students would still be innocent. That still doesn't change the fact that the vast majority of students weren't involved.

https://www.khanacademy.org/math/pre-algebra/pre-algebra-ratios-rates/pre-algebra-percent-decimal-conversions/v/converting-decimals-to-percents-ex-2
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2017, 05:17:14 PM »

Normal white people...
For all the jocks/cheerleaders/sports circuit/extroverts who loved the pageantry of homecoming, there were an equal amount of bitter awkward losers who hated it. Of course, I fell into the latter category like the rest of Atlas but I didn't want the fun to be spoiled for the normal kids who were neither jock nor nerd, the great silent majority of my high school.

By the way, most years, the homecoming King and Queen came from that majority of normal, chill students.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2017, 05:40:53 PM »

Rocketman please nuke, Obama please drone, Cecile please abort, etc.. this thread.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2017, 06:05:31 PM »

what's to stop someone from "rival High School" from doing something like this to "other rival High School" right before the "big game"?  Punishing everybody when you don't know who did it is what authoritarian govts, bad parents and dumb teachers do.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2017, 06:09:58 PM »

The type of person who would perpetrate a racist stunt isn't the type of person who would care about homecoming.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2017, 06:25:23 PM »

The type of person who would perpetrate a racist stunt isn't the type of person who would care about homecoming.
Um, it’s the exact type of person who would care
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2017, 06:28:16 PM »

Thank you. I was about to interject that this will probably save the families (and presumably the school) money and help to avoid needless despondence on the part of the nerds and the rejects. I hope every school follows this brave example.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2017, 07:11:47 PM »

Kids being kids.  Guess it's worthy of national news in Trump's America.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2017, 07:38:51 PM »

675/685 = 98.54%, but that's OK, we've established that math isn't your strong suit.

Still, your original "estimate" implied that the high school had 10,000 students for every one who was involved in the incident, which should have been an obvious huge overinflation even to the math illiterati.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies