South Dakota High School cancels homecoming after racist stunt
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 11:06:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  South Dakota High School cancels homecoming after racist stunt
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: South Dakota High School cancels homecoming after racist stunt  (Read 2270 times)
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2017, 07:44:31 PM »

Apparently one incident means we have to cancel everything now.

It's almost like they're teaching the kids that actions have consequences, and that they can end up paying the price for the actions of their peers.
Why do the 99.99% of kids who didn't partake in this have to suffer the consequences?

Not very good at math are you?
Can you come up with an exact percentage?
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Please return to your bridge.
Alright, I did the math. If one student was responsible for the vandalism then 99.85401459854015% of students would be innocent. My estimate was pretty close.

Not only are you so bad at math that you think being wrong by a factor of ten is close, your reading comprehension is terrible too.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Even if it was 10 students, 99.85% of students would still be innocent. That still doesn't change the fact that the vast majority of students weren't involved.

675/685 = 98.54%, but that's OK, we've established that math isn't your strong suit.

Still, your original "estimate" implied that the high school had 10,000 students for every one who was involved in the incident, which should have been an obvious huge overinflation even to the math illiterati.

What is your point?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2017, 07:48:04 PM »

Rocketman please nuke, Obama please drone, Cecile please abort, etc.. this thread.
No mods, choose life!! 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏿🙏🏿
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2017, 08:01:31 PM »

That people shouldn't make up wildly hyperbolic percentages?

Obviously no high school, especially one in rural western South Dakota, is going to have tens of thousands of students.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2017, 09:46:10 PM »

That people shouldn't make up wildly hyperbolic percentages?
Obviously no high school, especially one in rural western South Dakota, is going to have tens of thousands of students.

LOL.
I don't think the 99.99% was for someone to take literally (mathematically accurate).
Something tells me by the looks of your Atlas username, that you are a "critical numbers-type person."
Smiley
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2017, 07:53:55 AM »

I applaud their intolerance of racism but the vast majority of students are not racist.

[citation needed]
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2017, 07:56:13 AM »

I applaud their intolerance of racism but the vast majority of students are not racist.

[citation needed]
You've met students right?  Sure, some are horrible people, but most aren't racist......

.....oh, I see you're from MA.  Nevermind.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2017, 08:43:07 AM »

As a high school student, I can easily say that collective punishments never work at school. They only make students more rebellious and angry with administration. I know this is anecdotal, but still. Punish the kid(s) who were involved, make it known on their record, and let them deal with their actions when colleges turn them away.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2017, 08:54:58 AM »

Ugly stuff.
South Dakota .... yeah, it makes sense.

Does South Dakota have a more racist history than California or something...?

Reputedly the poorest county in America is  a Reservation in South Dakota.  Economic and social conditions are horrid, and this is well known. Much racism is directed at any identifiable minority that is poor. 
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2017, 08:57:59 AM »

Ugly stuff.

Stop, I know you are smarter than that.
Not necessarily a "more racist history" but the kids/people there have less exposure to "other" cultures. This leads to individuals (predominately white in SD) that are "less tolerant" to respecting and seeing as equal, others who are different. In addition, almost everyone around you in SD is wearing "the red hat," so they all tend to jump-on-the-band-wagon, or else be punished for being different in your own community. So "the hate" and "intolerance" characteristics that the Red-Hat-Fuhrer himself exhibits, then rubs-off on his sheep (If the President of the Unites States can say/do it, then why not little-ole'-me ?).

I know you're NOT smarter than this, but there is literally zero evidence that people from less diverse areas are more "intolerant" than people from diverse ones.  I'd argue the opposite is the case 90% of the time.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2017, 09:26:17 AM »
« Edited: October 14, 2017, 09:28:22 AM by Brittain33 »

[citation needed]
You've met students right?  Sure, some are horrible people, but most aren't racist......

.....oh, I see you're from MA.  Nevermind.

You must be new to Nebraska if you're shocked and surprised by racism towards Native Americans in places near reservations, I guess. 
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2017, 09:30:26 AM »

I know you're NOT smarter than this, but there is literally zero evidence that people from less diverse areas are more "intolerant" than people from diverse ones.

Dunno, the Pennsylvania 2016 county swing map is pretty compelling. For a different example, the areas that voted heavily for Brexit tended to be places that were not diverse at all or which were historically not diverse, but suddenly had an influx of migrants from Poland or Romania (e.g., East Anglia.)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2017, 10:30:19 AM »

I know you're NOT smarter than this, but there is literally zero evidence that people from less diverse areas are more "intolerant" than people from diverse ones.

Dunno, the Pennsylvania 2016 county swing map is pretty compelling. For a different example, the areas that voted heavily for Brexit tended to be places that were not diverse at all or which were historically not diverse, but suddenly had an influx of migrants from Poland or Romania (e.g., East Anglia.)

I reject the assertion that there is a meaningful correlation between a swing toward Trump and "intolerance," but even so aren't there multiple studies that show racial polarization and segregation increase a heck of a lot more in areas with higher minority populations?  I don't really consider a White liberal hipster who lives in Lakeview in Chicago but is too scared to ever accidentally venture south of the Loop very "tolerant," no matter what he posts on his Facebook page.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2017, 03:58:55 PM »

Ugly stuff.

Not necessarily a "more racist history" but the kids/people there have less exposure to "other" cultures. This leads to individuals (predominately white in SD) that are "less tolerant" to respecting and seeing as equal, others who are different. In addition, almost everyone around you in SD is wearing "the red hat," so they all tend to jump-on-the-band-wagon, or else be punished for being different in your own community. So "the hate" and "intolerance" characteristics that the Red-Hat-Fuhrer himself exhibits, then rubs-off on his sheep (If the President of the Unites States can say/do it, then why not little-ole'-me ?).
SD suffered unprecedented oppression of the German language.

Also, by this logic, Europe and Asia are far more racist/bigoted did so their "inexperience with 'other' cultures".
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2017, 04:59:17 PM »

Ugly stuff.

SD suffered unprecedented oppression of the German language.
Also, by this logic, Europe and Asia are far more racist/bigoted did so their "inexperience with 'other' cultures".

Europe and Asia are a different beast altogether.
My comments were not intended to extend to those regions (or any other region), at all.
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2017, 12:11:51 AM »

The difference between 1960 and 2017 is social media.  This sort of thing could once be contained, violators dealt with, and the show going on.  Today, this could be fodder at a Presidential press conference, or the press conference of a Presidential opponent.  It can be a news segment on FOX, MSNBC, etc.  All because of a viral video on social media.

The Homecoming Event is a school event for minors.  Adults have to make decisions to cancel or not cancel based on safety and liability.  Social Media play of these behaviors inflames folks beyond the levels where folks can be reasoned with, persuaded that it's just a few jackasses being ignorant, etc.  Social Media makes this stuff bigger than it is, and that raises the likelihood that the reaction will be bigger than anticipated.

What would we say if the Principal let the event go on, and there was interracial violence where folks went to the hospital and property was damaged?  I don't know about you, but given the background here, I'd say that the Principal knew, or ought to have known, that letting the homecoming event go on in light of the ugly racial incident that made it to social media would result in a dangerous situation for students.  This isn't a political rally for adults, where one goes at their own risk; it's a school-sponsored event, where there is responsibility and accountability that falls on administrators.

The Superintendent did the right thing.  He did the responsible thing.  In this age of inflammatory social media, I do not put my faith in folks on either side of this coin knowing how to act.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies