South Dakota High School cancels homecoming after racist stunt (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:17:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  South Dakota High School cancels homecoming after racist stunt (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: South Dakota High School cancels homecoming after racist stunt  (Read 2322 times)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« on: October 15, 2017, 12:11:51 AM »

The difference between 1960 and 2017 is social media.  This sort of thing could once be contained, violators dealt with, and the show going on.  Today, this could be fodder at a Presidential press conference, or the press conference of a Presidential opponent.  It can be a news segment on FOX, MSNBC, etc.  All because of a viral video on social media.

The Homecoming Event is a school event for minors.  Adults have to make decisions to cancel or not cancel based on safety and liability.  Social Media play of these behaviors inflames folks beyond the levels where folks can be reasoned with, persuaded that it's just a few jackasses being ignorant, etc.  Social Media makes this stuff bigger than it is, and that raises the likelihood that the reaction will be bigger than anticipated.

What would we say if the Principal let the event go on, and there was interracial violence where folks went to the hospital and property was damaged?  I don't know about you, but given the background here, I'd say that the Principal knew, or ought to have known, that letting the homecoming event go on in light of the ugly racial incident that made it to social media would result in a dangerous situation for students.  This isn't a political rally for adults, where one goes at their own risk; it's a school-sponsored event, where there is responsibility and accountability that falls on administrators.

The Superintendent did the right thing.  He did the responsible thing.  In this age of inflammatory social media, I do not put my faith in folks on either side of this coin knowing how to act.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies