Describe a soc conservative, econ liberal WC/poor white who voted for Clinton
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:51:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Describe a soc conservative, econ liberal WC/poor white who voted for Clinton
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Describe a soc conservative, econ liberal WC/poor white who voted for Clinton  (Read 2161 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 13, 2017, 06:51:42 PM »

There's got to be a sizeable number of these...even if not the majority in any area.
The Govanah Jake
Jake Jewvinivisk

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -5.30

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 08:06:20 PM »
« Edited: November 09, 2017, 07:05:36 PM by The Govanah Jake »

Union members/former union members. Vote on economic issues and don't care for clintons socially liberal views. This select group most likely voted for Trump but there is a sizeable minority of these in the Midwestern states though much less then they did with Obama. For locations the former driftless area has many and though voted for trump was relatively close, Iron Range in Minnesota, and the areas in places like Flint and other former/current union towns in Michigan.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 05:15:10 AM »

Someone with a brain
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 09:32:59 AM »

A small but still visible portion of Blue collar dems who stayed ever loyal, and were unwaivered by Trump as they saw through his sh!t.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 01:36:41 PM »

Union members/former union members. Vote on economic issues and don't care for clintons socially liberal views. This select group most likely voted for Trump but there is a sizeable minority of these in the Midwestern states though much less then they did with Obama. For locations the former drift valley has many and though voted for trump was relativly close, Iron Range in Minnesota, and the areas in places like Flint and other former/current union towns in Michigan.

I can't find this on Wikipedia. What and where is this?
Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 09:15:13 PM »

Union members/former union members. Vote on economic issues and don't care for clintons socially liberal views. This select group most likely voted for Trump but there is a sizeable minority of these in the Midwestern states though much less then they did with Obama. For locations the former drift valley has many and though voted for trump was relativly close, Iron Range in Minnesota, and the areas in places like Flint and other former/current union towns in Michigan.

I can't find this on Wikipedia. What and where is this?
The driftless area.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 09:24:37 PM »

Me.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 10:01:39 PM »

He or she is described in the thread title.
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 10:40:35 PM »

Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 06:59:08 PM »

Me!
Pennsylvania Deplorable

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2017, 05:30:40 PM »

Most likely from a union household. Probably Catholic but not especially religious. Votes democrat because that's what their parents and grandparents did. Doesn't follow politics closely. May have heard some good things about Trump from friends and neighbors supporting him but ultimately can't fathom voting for a republican billionaire.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2017, 11:23:36 PM »

There's quite a few out there. We sometimes forget that Hillary Clinton still won Johnstown, Wilkes-Barre, Scranton, Youngstown, Green Bay, etc. Sure it was by smaller margins than Dems are used to, but there's certainly a group of likely religious WWC who voted for her. Also, outside the Rust Belt there are portions of Chicago (SW side) where this occurred.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2017, 01:52:46 PM »

Please don't ever use the words economic liberalism again
uti2

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2017, 05:33:38 PM »

This is what 'economic liberalism' means in the US:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_democracy

Does the VVD's centrism trigger you? Do you vicariously live through neoconservative US politicians?
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2017, 09:01:17 AM »

This is what 'economic liberalism' means in the US:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_democracy

Does the VVD's centrism trigger you? Do you vicariously live through neoconservative US politicians?

Only the borderline D66 left-liberal types trigger me, but most of them have um joined D66 Smiley. I'm an old fashioned European who gets triggered by Mericans abusing our terms (and everything is ours because we actually have historical cities). By American standards I'm pretty centrist on economic issues btw, but in a more technocratic way instead of in a Trumpist/populist way. But yeah, I get triggered when the VVD sells out after every Dutch election, but I'm still old enough to remember the days when the almighty "we rule this country" more Merkelist than Merkel CDA ruled the Netherlands, so the VVD definitely is an improvement (they never actually said "we rule this country" btw). And the VVD definitely is one of the best (if not the best) European major parties.

I'm pretty sure there are a lot of voters like this btw. The majority of them probably voted for Trump, but Trump still did worse with poor voters than with middle-class or wealthy voters. I think Washington and Oregon are the only states where Democratic voters actually are wealthier than Republican voters.
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2017, 10:41:44 AM »

There's quite a few out there. We sometimes forget that Hillary Clinton still won Johnstown, Wilkes-Barre, Scranton, Youngstown, Green Bay, etc. Sure it was by smaller margins than Dems are used to, but there's certainly a group of likely religious WWC who voted for her. Also, outside the Rust Belt there are portions of Chicago (SW side) where this occurred.

To be fair in Youngstown particularly (and probably many of the other places you mention) this is largely due to African-American population (around half of the population if I'm not mistaken). That said it's true that even in areas one would consider 'ruby red', there is a considerable number of people still voting D. Even in a 'landslide' scenario, ~30% is not something to sneeze at.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2017, 11:05:01 AM »

To be fair in Youngstown particularly (and probably many of the other places you mention) this is largely due to African-American population (around half of the population if I'm not mistaken). That said it's true that even in areas one would consider 'ruby red', there is a considerable number of people still voting D. Even in a 'landslide' scenario, ~30% is not something to sneeze at.

You're right that SW Chicago and Youngstown differ in that regard. However, Green Bay is 3.5% Black, Scranton 5.45% Black, Wilkes-Barre 5%. None has a particularly high Hispanic population.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2017, 11:20:50 AM »

One who votes out of economic self-interest.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2017, 03:47:10 AM »

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies