Closest county to where you live that you haven't been
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:00:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Closest county to where you live that you haven't been
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Author Topic: Closest county to where you live that you haven't been  (Read 13846 times)
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2017, 02:05:43 PM »

I don't think I have ever been to McHenry County, IL (I live in DuPage Co.)

If you've driven to Rockford (or beyond) on I-90 or US-20, you've been through McHenry.

I live just opposite Fermilab across I-88, so the fastest way to Rockford for us is usually 88 to 39. Smiley
dax00

« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2017, 02:44:14 AM »

Cheshire-NH
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2017, 10:05:26 AM »
« Edited: October 19, 2017, 04:24:20 PM by publicunofficial »

San Juan. Particularly egregious as on a nice day I can see the islands from my house.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2017, 10:36:16 AM »

I don't think I have ever been to McHenry County, IL (I live in DuPage Co.)

If you've driven to Rockford (or beyond) on I-90 or US-20, you've been through McHenry.

I live just opposite Fermilab across I-88, so the fastest way to Rockford for us is usually 88 to 39. Smiley

Interesting point, since living on the north side of Fermilab it's definitely faster to take I-90.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2017, 08:24:46 PM »

Morgan County, GA

I currently live in Newton.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2017, 08:53:42 PM »

Van Buren, TN
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2017, 04:49:58 PM »

I don't plan on ever stepping foot in Fauquier County.
Out of interest, what's wrong with it? Seems fine from wikipedia.
It's just really boring. I've driven through it hundreds of times at this point, but I don't see any reason to stop there. It's definitely not part of NoVA, it's not in the Shenandoah Valley, and even most of the wineries are further south towards Culpeper and Charlottesville.

EDIT: I will admit I was wrong; I actually have been in Fauquier County. There's this great farm-fresh ice cream place that I stopped at right outside of Culpeper, which I had just assumed was in Culpeper County.

The Moo-Thru?
Nutmeg
thepolitic

« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2017, 04:52:08 PM »

Of the dozens of people I know who live or have lived in the Metroplex, not one has been to Rockwall. I make it a point to ask DFWers this now, and they always scrunch up their faces in deep thought before realizing with shock that they've never been there.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2017, 06:59:04 PM »

It's just really boring. I've driven through it hundreds of times at this point, but I don't see any reason to stop there. It's definitely not part of NoVA, it's not in the Shenandoah Valley, and even most of the wineries are further south towards Culpeper and Charlottesville.

EDIT: I will admit I was wrong; I actually have been in Fauquier County. There's this great farm-fresh ice cream place that I stopped at right outside of Culpeper, which I had just assumed was in Culpeper County.

The Moo-Thru?

Hell yeah.
Nutmeg
thepolitic

« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2017, 09:20:31 PM »

The Moo-Thru?
Hell yeah.

I adore the Moo-Thru. I always buy a glass jug of milk when passing by and then return it months later the next time I'm in the area. Hadn't even realized that was Fauquier County. O_o
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2017, 11:30:44 PM »

Green County, WI. No, I haven't been to New Glarus.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2017, 10:27:01 AM »

The Moo-Thru?
Hell yeah.

I adore the Moo-Thru. I always buy a glass jug of milk when passing by and then return it months later the next time I'm in the area. Hadn't even realized that was Fauquier County. O_o

That’s neat. I usually stop there to get soft serve ice cream on my way back home. They need to open a second location in Charlottesville just for ice cream and milk; I’d go to that thing on the daily.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2017, 01:49:41 PM »

My guess is Fulton County, New York, but I'm honestly unsure if I've been to Washington County, New York, which would be closer.
SamTilden2020

« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2017, 10:53:39 AM »

The Bronx, NY
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2017, 05:18:38 PM »

San Juan. Particularly egregious as on a nice day I can see the islands from my house.
I'm wondering whether to count myself as having been to San Juan County... I've been on boats through there at least twice but never have actually set foot on one of the islands.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2017, 05:16:10 AM »
« Edited: November 22, 2017, 05:22:29 AM by Lechasseur »

Aisne Department, France

Otherwise closest terriory using the word county: Sussex, UK

US: somewhere in Maine
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2017, 08:08:13 AM »

I don't think I've ever been to Matthews Co Virginia.  About 30 miles away as the crow flies but 60 miles / an hour and a half by car.

Thanks for encouraging me to look into this place. Looks like they have a lot of neat nature areas and historic sites.

That county is very unspoiled by development and gorgeous. I visited there to check out my long dead ancestors from the 18th and 19th centuries.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2017, 12:15:51 PM »

Calvert, MD.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2017, 12:21:21 PM »

Prince William County, Virginia.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2017, 05:28:41 PM »

I've been to all the IL counties, so if I look at the nearest in adjacent states (and driving distances) I get

Barry MI (210 mi)
Fulton, IN (153 mi) Jay, IN (256 mi)
Butler IA (285 mi)
Florence WI (341 mi)
Daviess KY (383 mi)
Iron MO (389 mi)

Looks like I have to spend some driving time in IN. Wink And I did over the weekend. Smiley
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2018, 11:13:40 PM »

I meant to update this after my drive down to FL earlier this month, since I passed through KY and changed my list.

I've been to all the IL counties, so if I look at the nearest in adjacent states (and driving distances) I get

Barry MI (210 mi)
Jay, IN (256 mi)
Butler IA (285 mi)
Florence WI (341 mi)
Daviess KY (383 mi) Breckinridge, KY (387 mi)
Iron MO (389 mi)
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2018, 09:16:57 PM »

My drive into the eastern Ozarks causes a slight change.

Barry MI (210 mi)
Jay, IN (256 mi)
Butler IA (285 mi)
Florence WI (341 mi)
Breckinridge, KY (387 mi)
Iron MO (389 mi) Bollinger MO (390 mi)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2018, 07:49:15 AM »

I am kind of pathetic, but then I have only lived in Hudson for about 4 years. I have not been to Fulton County, NY, a mere 75 miles away or so. Dan and I did drive to Amsterdam, NY in Montgomery County last month, the county just to the south of Fulton (part of a project of mine to check out old cities, to see how they are coping with land use issues, and retrofitting, or not, their abandoned industrial areas, and use of their riverfronts). Man, what a dump that place was. Sad!
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2018, 08:01:17 AM »

I am kind of pathetic, but then I have only lived in Hudson for about 4 years. I have not been to Fulton County, NY, a mere 75 miles away or so. Dan and I did drive to Amsterdam, NY in Montgomery County last month, the county just to the south of Fulton (part of a project of mine to check out old cities, to see how they are coping with land use issues, and retrofitting, or not, their abandoned industrial areas, and use of their riverfronts). Man, what a dump that place was. Sad!

Indeed Fulton is enough out of the way that it is one of only 5 NY counties I've not been in.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2018, 08:33:58 AM »

I just prepared this little map of the area around Hudson, including all of NY. I am a little vague about some of the northern NH and VT counties, since in college I took a trip that involved traveling down from Quebec City or Montreal down to Boston, and I am not sure what counties I went through  It appears that Tolland is the next closest county I have not been to, in CT. Wayne County, PA is the closest going to the southwest. If the map is too big, hopefully the mods can reduce it in size.

Driving to Niagara Falls, and then Chatauqua (sp) (the far west county in NY), Dan and I managed to not go through a bunch of counties because we drove along Lake Ontario going west from Rochester, rather than use the interstate, and then returned home hugging the Southern Tier counties. I may have been to Cortland. I will need to check how the Finger Lakes intrude upon it, because we did try to visit some of the cute little towns on the lakes as we drove to Rochester.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies