Retrospection (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:28:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Retrospection (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Retrospection  (Read 1671 times)
TML
Junior Chimp

« on: October 15, 2017, 01:24:17 PM »
« edited: October 15, 2017, 01:30:17 PM by TML »

10:25 ET(Right after Ohio was called):  I started to get think Trump was the favorite at that point

Wasn't it actually foreseeable that Trump would win Ohio? At least all the polls had predicted it.
What rather bothered me was Trump's high lead in Virginia after the polls had closed. I knew Clinton was gonna win that state, but I had assumed by a wider margin. .-\

Actually, if you looked at the pattern of election returns in VA over the last 10 years or so, you will notice a similar trend: the Republican candidate takes an early lead as the rural parts of VA report their results first, but near the end, as the DC suburbs report their results, the Democratic candidate overtakes the Republican candidate and ends up winning the state overall. In fact, on election night, the NY Times published an article titled "Don't be Fooled by Virginia" which explains this dynamic.

Regarding Ohio, Trump was favored to win that state, but his projected winning margin was only about 2-4% instead of 8-10%.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 01:29:35 PM »

For me, although I saw Hillary was in trouble in both FL and NC early in the night, I wasn't necessarily worried about those states, since I figured that (1) they could go either way and (2) she could do without them (with a 278-260 margin). In fact, in an article published by FiveThirtyEight several weeks before the election, this was one of the scenarios they had projected (in this scenario, the election isn't called until after midnight). What set off alarm bells for me was Wisconsin & Michigan, both of which I didn't expect Trump to win. When I went to bed at around 9:30 pm that night, I looked at the returns and saw Michigan wasn't in good shape, and when I briefly woke up again a couple of hours later, I saw that Wisconsin had been called for Trump, and that was when I realized that the identity of the winner was pretty much decided.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies