Favorite College Football Team By Conference (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:14:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Favorite College Football Team By Conference (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Favorite College Football Team By Conference  (Read 961 times)
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« on: October 15, 2017, 09:08:37 PM »
« edited: October 15, 2017, 09:11:13 PM by Dereich »

ACC: F L O R I D A  S T A T E

SEC: Florida, except when playing Florida State. Also Auburn, since all of their fans I've met have been classy people and Gus Malzahn is a fun coach.

B1G: Sparty! This year, though, it'd have to be Penn State for being a very good team that plays very fun football.

Big 12: A tough one. Probably West Virginia, though I also like it when TCU does well.

PAC 12: You don't have a heart if you don't like Wazzu.

If I had to pick a team from outside the P5, it'd be USF for family ties and for being interesting the last few years.

And, of course, whoever Alabama is currently playing.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 01:09:53 PM »

PAC 12: This conference is just so meh. I guess Colorado maybe. I don't hate these schools, but I just have no reason to like them either.

You're seriously missing out. The PAC12 has such a rich history of CFB and the current dynamics of the conference are fascinating, with USC still recovering from sanctions and multiple self-imposed hiring miscues; Washington is finally returning to national prominence after two decades in the wilderness; Wazzu with certifiable crazyman Mike Leach, the rising and unpredictable Arizona schools, Oregon's fight to stay relevant in a recruiting wasteland, Cal and UCLA perpetually underperforming, plus newcomers Utah and Colorado, one of which is a 90s powerhouse with an excellent coach, while the other is a perpetual overperforming minor conference team.

Oh and Oregon State exists too, I suppose.

I think if you live in the Midwest or east, it's just so hard to get interested ... from our perspective, the games are on at such strange times, we rarely play those teams and we don't really know that much about the conference.  I'm sure it is just as exciting to people in the West as the Big Ten is in the Midwest or the SEC is in the South, but it almost seems like a separate universe sometimes, LOL.  Plus, whether academically or in football/basketball, the Pac-12 always seems SO top heavy with such a pathetic bottom.

It's much much easier to argue the opposite. PAC-12 football has too much parity, not too little. Especially when you compare to the SEC (Bama, one or two good-ish teams, everyone else is a garbage fire with no hope in sight). And as for a "pathetic bottom," the gulf between best and worst teams in the PAC12 is nowhere near as bad as difference between the OSU/Penn States and the Illinois/Rutgers tier in the Big 10; only one team in the PAC-12 right now has a losing record and no team looks unbeatable. While that parity wasn't really there last year, that was the exception and not the norm; look at the 2013-15 PAC standings. Plus, the worst teams in the PAC-12 right now (the Arizonas, Oregon, UCLA) were among the best ones four years ago and vice versa (hi Wazzu and Utah) and nothing about the current crop of best teams makes me think that this group will still be on top four years from now.

The only real problem with the PAC-12 is the time their games air. This is seen by their coaches as a problem, its just not one the networks care about.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies