What was the connection between the Bushes and Nixon?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:15:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  What was the connection between the Bushes and Nixon?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What was the connection between the Bushes and Nixon?  (Read 992 times)
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 15, 2017, 03:14:00 PM »

What was Nixon's history with the Bushes before he nominated HW to be an ambassador?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 04:31:09 PM »

It has been reported that Bush, at the time a one-term Congressman, had been briefly considered for the Vice Presidency by Nixon at the '68 Republican National Convention. I have heard another account that he was part of a list of names of recently elected Republican officeholders in Southern states; these men could on their own be seen as some stripe of moderate or another, but all had been able to beat Democrats as recently as two years prior; Nixon was not looking at Strom Thurmond or any other Goldwater Democrat, but rather at Baker, Bush, and Agnew. So you can see a general geographic and ideological trend of "New South" Republicans.

Aside from that, I know very little of the two interacting prior to Bush's appointment as Ambassador to the United Nations. Nevertheless, it is easy to see that Bush was viewed as a rising star within the party--though perhaps ironically in hindsight. He had been elected in the South and had sacrificed his career in a second attempt at winning Ralph Yarborough's Senate seat. The UN Ambassadorship could at least give a lease on life to a potential political asset. Moreover, 1970 as a whole was a year where the White House pushed hard to make Congressional gains that did not materialize. Bush was one such example. A number of other Republican officeholders who found themselves out of office in the early 1970s made their way to the Nixon and Ford administrations, though with less latter-day notoriety. Nixon even, per rumors(?), offered Senate Minority Leader Howard Baker a chance to become a Supreme Court Justice.

It should be noted that, in light of Bush's ambitions, the offices he served in under Nixon and Ford were a relative disappointment. If you count 1968, Ford and Nixon combined snubbed him for the Vice Presidency four times--1968, 1973, 1974, and 1976.

Oddly enough, it was Bush and a crew of two other Nixon administration members that floated on the periphery that would come to have a heavy hand in Republican administrations for the next three decades or so--Donald Rumsfeld went on to serve as Chief of Staff and twice as Defense Secretary, while Dick Cheney became the House Minority Whip, Secretary of Defense, and Vice President. The first Republican Governor of Texas since Reconstruction, Bill Clements, served as Deputy Secretary of Defense for Nixon and Ford.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 05:04:56 PM »

Oddly enough, it was Bush and a crew of two other Nixon administration members that floated on the periphery that would come to have a heavy hand in Republican administrations for the next three decades or so--Donald Rumsfeld went on to serve as Chief of Staff and twice as Defense Secretary, while Dick Cheney became the House Minority Whip, Secretary of Defense, and Vice President. The first Republican Governor of Texas since Reconstruction, Bill Clements, served as Deputy Secretary of Defense for Nixon and Ford.
Maybe the bigger players in the Nixon administration were brought down by Watergate, leaving these figures to fill the vaccuum?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 05:12:28 PM »

Maybe the bigger players in the Nixon administration were brought down by Watergate, leaving these figures to fill the vaccuum?

In general, not many people usually run for office after membership in a presidential cabinet (outside of the Vice Presidency). Aside from Hillary Clinton and George H.W. Bush, how many non-Vice Presidential members of Presidential administrations since... 1960 have been on a ticket? Sargent Shriver, Dick Cheney... I wouldn't attribute the rise of Bush, Rumsfeld, and Cheney to some overall trend rather than to serendipity. If you are overly deterministic, you could say that Bush's victory in Iowa gave him the presidency, which gave Cheney the Vice Presidency, which made Rumsfeld Secretary of Defense, but that was largely dumb luck. John Tower was supposed to be George H.W. Bush's Defense Secretary, which would have eliminated Cheney's time in the cabinet, and George W. Bush, I believe, originally wanted the CEO of Federal Express to have the Pentagon job (and I can imagine Tom Ridge definitely being on the table as well). I think it just so happens that these three men were particularly canny and fortuitous during a time when the Republicans were more often in the White House than out of it. A President's son seeking the office is unique in its own right.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 05:24:04 PM »

It should be noted that, in light of Bush's ambitions, the offices he served in under Nixon and Ford were a relative disappointment. If you count 1968, Ford and Nixon combined snubbed him for the Vice Presidency four times--1968, 1973, 1974, and 1976.
I've read that Bush felt that Rumsfeld cheated him out of the Vice Presidency in 1974, and as a result he hated Rumsfeld and was disappointed by his son's decision to appoint Rumsfeld.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 05:26:28 PM »

I've read that Bush felt that Rumsfeld cheated him out of the Vice Presidency in 1974, and as a result he hated Rumsfeld and was disappointed by his son's decision to appoint Rumsfeld.

This was at least believed to be the case. During the first days of Ford's administration, Bush had hoped it would finally be his turn, but such was not to be, and he felt cheated that he was shunted off to Langley to head the CIA and he blamed Rumsfeld for that fact. That said, I wouldn't be able to tell you as God's honest truth that it was Rumsfeld who engineered that. In Rumsfeld's autobiography, he makes clear his own distaste with Rockefeller's hand in the administration. In the end, ironically or not, it was Bush who was made Vice President on a far more successful ticket than Ford could have hoped for. Rumsfeld, meanwhile, has Abu Ghraib as his legacy.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 07:24:46 AM »

In general, not many people usually run for office after membership in a presidential cabinet (outside of the Vice Presidency). Aside from Hillary Clinton and George H.W. Bush, how many non-Vice Presidential members of Presidential administrations since... 1960 have been on a ticket? Sargent Shriver, Dick Cheney... I wouldn't attribute the rise of Bush, Rumsfeld, and Cheney to some overall trend rather than to serendipity. If you are overly deterministic, you could say that Bush's victory in Iowa gave him the presidency, which gave Cheney the Vice Presidency, which made Rumsfeld Secretary of Defense, but that was largely dumb luck. John Tower was supposed to be George H.W. Bush's Defense Secretary, which would have eliminated Cheney's time in the cabinet, and George W. Bush, I believe, originally wanted the CEO of Federal Express to have the Pentagon job (and I can imagine Tom Ridge definitely being on the table as well). I think it just so happens that these three men were particularly canny and fortuitous during a time when the Republicans were more often in the White House than out of it. A President's son seeking the office is unique in its own right.
Andrew Cuomo, Bill Richardson, Lee P. Brown, Deval Patrick, and others might beg to differ with the bolded words.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 12:52:32 PM »

darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 08:08:17 PM »

A picture of Nixon and Prescott Bush. I've seen that picture on conspiracy theory websites. What's the non-conspiracy-theory context of that picture?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 03:45:36 PM »
« Edited: November 11, 2017, 03:47:27 PM by PR »

A picture of Nixon and Prescott Bush. I've seen that picture on conspiracy theory websites. What's the non-conspiracy-theory context of that picture?

Not entirely sure when it was taken - I think late 40s/early 50s? Remember that Prescott Bush was a very close friend of people like W. Averall Harriman, Robert Lovett, and the Dulles brothers - aka, the "Wise Men" of early Cold War-era US foreign policy, and the bipartisan WASP Establishment in general.

Many (most?) of these men had gone to Yale, had been involved in elite WASPy banking firms like Brown Brothers Harriman (in which Prescott Bush had been a senior partner, along with the Harriman brothers, Lovett, and other "Wise Men" exemplars) and many had been part of the ultra-secretive Skull and Bones society at Yale (which was notorious for producing CIA officers, in addition to other foreign policy Establishment figures in the State and Defense Departments). Prescott Bush was very much a part of this elite inner circle of Skull and Bones alumni - and that was before he was elected US Senator from Connecticut. He lived in Greenwich; how much more "Establishment" can you get? Tongue

Moreover, Bush was elected as a US Senator in a special election in 1952 - the same year in which sitting US Senator Richard Nixon was elected Vice President on Dwight Eisenhower's ticket. The two Dulles brothers headed the CIA and the State Department in Eisenhower's administration, and other WASPy Wise Men figures could be found throughout the rest of the administration. And Prescott Bush was not just a staunchly loyal ally of Eisenhower in the Senate; he was also one of Eisenhower's closest friends and confidants. Consider the fact that they were golf partners on a regular basis during Eisenhower's Presidency (Ike, of course, was a notoriously prolific and skilled golfer... Tongue )

Needless to say, Nixon knew Prescott Bush very well, I'd imagine - as well as any other Republican Senator in the Eisenhower years. Which would later be very helpful for Prescott Bush's most famous son...
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 02:09:31 AM »
« Edited: November 13, 2017, 02:14:55 AM by darklordoftech »

Not entirely sure when it was taken - I think late 40s/early 50s? Remember that Prescott Bush was a very close friend of people like W. Averall Harriman, Robert Lovett, and the Dulles brothers - aka, the "Wise Men" of early Cold War-era US foreign policy, and the bipartisan WASP Establishment in general.

Many (most?) of these men had gone to Yale, had been involved in elite WASPy banking firms like Brown Brothers Harriman (in which Prescott Bush had been a senior partner, along with the Harriman brothers, Lovett, and other "Wise Men" exemplars) and many had been part of the ultra-secretive Skull and Bones society at Yale (which was notorious for producing CIA officers, in addition to other foreign policy Establishment figures in the State and Defense Departments). Prescott Bush was very much a part of this elite inner circle of Skull and Bones alumni - and that was before he was elected US Senator from Connecticut. He lived in Greenwich; how much more "Establishment" can you get? Tongue

Moreover, Bush was elected as a US Senator in a special election in 1952 - the same year in which sitting US Senator Richard Nixon was elected Vice President on Dwight Eisenhower's ticket. The two Dulles brothers headed the CIA and the State Department in Eisenhower's administration, and other WASPy Wise Men figures could be found throughout the rest of the administration. And Prescott Bush was not just a staunchly loyal ally of Eisenhower in the Senate; he was also one of Eisenhower's closest friends and confidants. Consider the fact that they were golf partners on a regular basis during Eisenhower's Presidency (Ike, of course, was a notoriously prolific and skilled golfer... Tongue )

Needless to say, Nixon knew Prescott Bush very well, I'd imagine - as well as any other Republican Senator in the Eisenhower years. Which would later be very helpful for Prescott Bush's most famous son...
Ah, I see. What I find interesting is how Nixon had his fingers deep inside every wing of the GOP from the WASP Eastern Establishment to the Ford wing to the Buckley/Goldwater/Reagan wing. HW and Dubya reinvented themselves as Reaganites as the GOP grew more conservative.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies