Thumb21 for House of Representatives campaign hub
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:11:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Thumb21 for House of Representatives campaign hub
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Thumb21 for House of Representatives campaign hub  (Read 573 times)
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 15, 2017, 04:54:25 PM »

I'm slightly late on making one of these because I wasn't sure if there was a point because my "manifesto" is quite clearly set out in my poster but I think this would be a good opportunity for me to listen to any issues voters have with my platform, answer questions and clarify my positions.

So, if you have any questions or concerns, here is the place to ask.
Alternatively, you can PM me.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 05:03:37 PM »

The legal requirement for a referendum every six months would be on what issues, who would decide what is asked ? Is it a single question referendum or multiple policies question like a direct democracy system ? Can you explain a bit the referendum every six months idea. Thank you.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 11:49:54 AM »

The legal requirement for a referendum every six months would be on what issues, who would decide what is asked ? Is it a single question referendum or multiple policies question like a direct democracy system ? Can you explain a bit the referendum every six months idea. Thank you.
Hi!

The type of issues that the referendum would be based on would be flexible (as long as it is not in violation of the constitution) and would depend on what issues people are concerned about at that time. People would be able to create petitions to have a referendum on an issue. If there are multiple petitions, congress would decide which is more appropriate and if there are no petitions, members of congress and the president would be able to make suggestions and once again, congress would vote on which one is more appropriate.

The referendum would be based on one issue, not multiple and voters would have a choice between various policy proposals as solutions, or it can be a yes or no question - "would you like this policy to be implemented in Atlasia?" The people proposing the petition would also be able to specify this. However, multiple question referenda could be allowed later or the time between referenda could be reduced depending on how successful the first referendum is and how many petitions are proposed.

Other things that are important to note are that each petition must have at least 5 signatures to be considered for a referendum and if a petition has less than 50% of the amount of signatures of the most popular petition, it will not be considered to ensure that congress would not pick small petitions over big petitions, ignoring a large section of the electorate. Additionally, in the 6 months period before a referendum, the first 4.5 months would be used to allow people to prepare and propose their petitions. If we are 4 months in and no proposals have been made, lawmakers and the president would be given the responsibility to prepare a referendum subject in anticipation that we get to the 4.5 month deadline and there are still no eligible petitions. Then, the second half of the 4th month would be used for congress to vote on which proposal the referendum will be based on and everything will be refined and finalized. Then, the last month would be available for people to campaign.

I think I've covered everything. If there are any other issues, feel free to say.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 09:42:01 PM »

If elected which party would you caucus with? This could be of particular importance if both Labor and the Federalist party gets 4 seats each.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 09:48:34 PM »

If elected which party would you caucus with? This could be of particular importance if both Labor and the Federalist party gets 4 seats each.
As the speakership is no longer a partisan office, I don't think this would have any great impact on how the House operates — so long as Thumb is able to remind himself to vote. Tongue Even when the speaker was still chosen by the caucus system, I don't think Siren or EarlAW ever officially joined a party caucus (though both were, of course, generally left-of-center in terms of voting records).
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 09:56:33 PM »

As the speakership is no longer a partisan office, I don't think this would have any great impact on how the House operates — so long as Thumb is able to remind himself to vote. Tongue Even when the speaker was still chosen by the caucus system, I don't think Siren or EarlAW ever officially joined a party caucus (though both were, of course, generally left-of-center in terms of voting records).

The caucus system didn't arise until after the Earl and Siren had left. I beleive it started in March or May. Basically whenever the bylaws were passed in both parties.

The Caucus/Conference system is still in place, and I still message the Whips or acting whips or whatever you want to call them. Don't tell me Labor's Whip hasn't been contacting you. Tongue
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 10:08:12 PM »

The caucus system didn't arise until after the Earl and Siren had left. I beleive it started in March or May. Basically whenever the bylaws were passed in both parties.

The Caucus/Conference system is still in place, and I still message the Whips or acting whips or whatever you want to call them. Don't tell me Labor's Whip hasn't been contacting you. Tongue
Oh, JGibson has been doing an excellent job on that front — no worries there. Smiley
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 10:13:59 AM »

Hi!

I won't caucus with any party.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 01:02:08 PM »
« Edited: October 23, 2017, 01:44:21 PM by thumb21 »

As announced, I have failed to enter the House of Representatives in last week's election. Although my campaign was fairly low key, I did seriously hope to enter the house. However, as a new citizen and an independent, I did not expect to. I started off this campaign as a complete noob to Atlasian politics and I believe jumping in the deep end has taught me alot. I believe this can only be the start of something bigger and a more democratic and meritocratic Atlasia. At the very least, I made the election slightly competitive which is something we really need.

Thanks to those who gave me first or a high preference, I am grateful. Well done to the president for being re-elected by a very strong margin, Lumine for getting second place and everyone who was elected to the congress or regional positions.

If anything has been proven this election, its that independent voices are a nessessity. The Federalists are very strong, their monopoly continues while Labour fails to be a viable alternative. Neither side has offered good solutions to Atlasia's problems. Both political parties are headed to collapse in the long term, especially Labour and there is an opportunity to fill the gap left by these dinosaurs. I am optimistic the future is bright and Atlasia will be revitalised, good night!

TLDR; The political parties will break up and the time for independents is coming.
Former Senator Haslam2020
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 08:06:56 PM »

I wish you luck on your political future. Although I'm on the libertarian spectrum who's socially liberal, I really hope to see you run for something again. I've had an election loss myself and I really thought I was gonna win. I Feel you my dude
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 06:01:30 AM »

I wish you luck on your political future. Although I'm on the libertarian spectrum who's socially liberal, I really hope to see you run for something again. I've had an election loss myself and I really thought I was gonna win. I Feel you my dude

Thanks for your kind words and congratulations on your re-election!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies