Biblechat (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:24:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Biblechat (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Biblechat  (Read 907 times)
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« on: October 21, 2017, 07:10:52 PM »

Q almost certainly doesn't exist and Matthew was written first. Discuss Tongue

So does that mean you're in on the old "Mark is a synopsis/abridged version of Matthew" camp?

Mark includes some details that are especially awkward and seem to be sort of elided out of the other Synoptic Gospels (especially the high status of John the Baptist and the presence of Jesus' siblings) and it would make more sense if Mark came first, but Matthew first is not an unheard of position.

Yup. I find it far more likely that Mark abridged Matthew's gospel and threw in a few pieces of oral tradition than hypothesizing an extra document (Q) that we have absolutely no direct evidence for or reference to in the tradition.

I would agree with this.  It was only an intro class, but the two-source hypothesis was the only one that was really explored in my New Testament class a couple years back, and I think it's a really weak hypothesis because there is no mention of the Q source outside contemporary Biblical scholarship.  The theory itself is a fairly recent one.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies