Delaney’s 2020 presidential fundraising
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:50:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Delaney’s 2020 presidential fundraising
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Delaney’s 2020 presidential fundraising  (Read 597 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 16, 2017, 02:27:17 PM »

http://www.bethesdamagazine.com/Bethesda-Beat/2017/John-Delaney-Gets-Financial-Boost-From-Close-to-Home-in-Presidential-Bid/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

So he raised ~$600k so far and spent about half of it, with the remaining half in the bank.  Among the things he spent on:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 02:35:46 PM »

Is there seriously any chance that this spending will translate into votes?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 02:41:40 PM »

No.

I love that we already have our 2020 version of Jim Gilmore. Go Delaney Go!
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 09:01:20 AM »

No.

I love that we already have our 2020 version of Jim Gilmore. Go Delaney Go!

Remember that there are more people named Jim Gilmore in Iowa than who voted for Jim Gilmore in that state
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 09:19:23 AM »

If he really raised $600,000, that's not bad.  That's more than either Jindal or Santorum raised in the third quarter of 2015, and way more than Gilmore and Pataki raised:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=219971.msg4762474#msg4762474

It sounds like some of the people who donated were just folks who were eager to write a check to any Democrat running against Trump, and Delaney's the only current option.  So maybe there's a method to his madness in announcing so early.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 12:05:45 PM »

If he really raised $600,000, that's not bad.  That's more than either Jindal or Santorum raised in the third quarter of 2015, and way more than Gilmore and Pataki raised:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=219971.msg4762474#msg4762474

It sounds like some of the people who donated were just folks who were eager to write a check to any Democrat running against Trump, and Delaney's the only current option.  So maybe there's a method to his madness in announcing so early.

But money doesn't mean much if you can't get votes. For all the talk that people have about "money in politics", no one does well on money alone. It doesn't matter know much campaign money he gets, Delaney still won't be getting anything from it.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 04:04:39 PM »

I agree with this, but I think almost all of these people will switch to someone with more name recognition once they declare their candidacy.

Maybe, if Delaney presents himself as a strong anti-Trump voice in Congress, he will be able to become a major candidate, but I just can't see him doing that.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 01:22:14 PM »

I agree with this, but I think almost all of these people will switch to someone with more name recognition once they declare their candidacy.

Right, but if Delaney had the good sense to sit on that money he's just raised rather than spend it now, he'd still come out ahead $-wise compared to where he'd be if he'd waited two years to declare, and no one donated any $ to him at all because there were other choices in the race by then.

Don't get me wrong.  I don't think he has any chance to get anywhere in the primaries.  I just think that, if you're a candidate who has no chance anyway but are looking to maximize your fundraising haul, announcing your candidacy early is a gimmick that I guess you might as well try.  By doing it this way, he's at least spared himself the embarrassment of having the initial quarter of his fundraising reaching Lincoln Chafee levels of failure.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 09:50:01 AM »

Btw, Delaney says he hopes to do more than 400 events in Iowa between now and January 2019.  Not January 2020, but January 2019:

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/politics/2017/10/20/john-delaney-2020-presidential-iowa-caucuses/780497001/

Yes, that's an average of ~1 event there a day for the next year+.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies