Walmart ☀
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:32:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Walmart ☀
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Walmart ☀  (Read 3986 times)
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 16, 2017, 04:07:11 PM »

What German retailing company could be best comparable with Walmart ☀ in terms of range of products and reputation?
SNJ1985
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 07:10:38 PM »

I'd say Metro AG. Their Real hypermarkets are similar to Walmart's Supercenters.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 07:53:36 PM »

Is it correct that you can buy anything at Walmart, from foodstuffs over apparel up to guns, right?
SNJ1985
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 08:19:54 PM »
« Edited: October 16, 2017, 08:29:00 PM by Thomas from NJ »

Not every Walmart contains a full-service supermarket. There are still some smaller, older stores that only carry a limited selection of foodstuffs. Walmart often expands these stores into (or replaces them entirely with) Supercenters (which combine a department store and full-service supermarket) when it gets the opportunity.

A typical old-school Walmart:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ncmike1981/32900060074/

A typical Supercenter:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mjhale/14878419931/

As for guns, Walmart sells them in every state but California, Hawaii, and my home state of New Jersey.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 08:53:50 PM »

Walmart is disgusting, it sends shivers up my spinal cord just thinking of it. Gross.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 08:55:16 PM »

What about Walmart's reputation, or rather its patrons? When ever I read, hear or see something about it, I perceive it as an allegory of white trash, uneducated, overweight America. Maybe I could be wrong, but these views are always connected with Walmart.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 01:10:35 PM »

What about Walmart's reputation, or rather its patrons? When ever I read, hear or see something about it, I perceive it as an allegory of white trash, uneducated, overweight America. Maybe I could be wrong, but these views are always connected with Walmart.
Yup, I started shopping at Walmart when I became a Republican. Makes me feel good to be among my people.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 01:20:33 PM »

Yup, I started shopping at Walmart when I became a Republican. Makes me feel good to be among my people.
I once saw a loudmouthed fat lady that looked like a bulldog pull a wad of rolled up cash out of her sweaty, sunburnt cleavage and start handing them to the cashier.

The worst part?

Her children were on leashes.

Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 08:11:25 PM »

I once saw a loudmouthed fat lady that looked like a bulldog pull a wad of rolled up cash out of her sweaty, sunburnt cleavage and start handing them to the cashier.

I don't know if that is supposed to be sarcasm, cause I've seen such a picture of Walmart.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 06:29:41 PM »

I don't know if that is supposed to be sarcasm, cause I've seen such a picture of Walmart.
It's probably not that uncommon.  I definitely am speaking from experience.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 08:21:45 PM »

I've found an interesting map about Walmart:

SNJ1985
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 09:57:12 PM »

The key to their rise was their excellent distribution system.

https://tinyurl.com/y9yskltj
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 09:31:36 AM »

The Waltons have ~$126 billion in total wealth today. Walmart has put Arkansas on the map as the home of one of the, if not the, richest families on the planet.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2017, 10:32:59 AM »

So, Walmart is only one of three things your state is famous for.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2017, 05:47:07 PM »

Well, the Walton family in general. They have are actually, IIRC, the third richest family in the world. Only the Rothschilds and Saudis are above them, and those two have been rich for far longer.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2017, 09:30:33 AM »

Well, the Walton family in general. They have are actually, IIRC, the third richest family in the world. Only the Rothschilds and Saudis are above them, and those two have been rich for far longer.

I actually thought of Bill Clinton and Evanescence as being the other things.
BackWoodsSouthernLawyer
Aspe4
Rookie
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2018, 07:21:23 PM »

:-)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2018, 03:22:05 PM »

Wal-Mart’s chief retail competitor, especially in the Midwest and west coast, is Target...which has a much better reputation.

Their Super Target (a Target store with a full scale grocery store) concept has not been nearly as successful as Wal-Mart so they have focused on expanding the limited grocery options at their traditional format stores.  Target is also doing well competing with online retailers by building stores in urban areas and offering delivery, store pickup, and free shipping without any membership required.

They have been much better than Wal-Mart in urban environments

Philadelphia

Chicago

A typical suburban Target with the Greatland concept which basically has more lifestyle merchandise (sports, outdoors, clothing)

Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2018, 06:23:08 PM »

Those Target sub-brands are obsolete. Greatland is dead. Even the "Super" has been dropped from "Super Target".  They are all just "Target"s again.

https://corporate.target.com/article/2018/03/store-remodels?preset=60x60crop

https://corporate.target.com/press/multimedia/2018/07/2018-Store-Remodels
Lincoln_Chaffee
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2018, 05:49:07 PM »

Walmart is disgusting, it sends shivers up my spinal cord just thinking of it. Gross.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2018, 01:15:35 PM »

Walmart is Walmart's unethical business practices are disgusting, it they sends shivers up my spinal cord just thinking of it them. Gross.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2019, 02:33:46 PM »
« Edited: January 04, 2019, 06:30:05 PM by Del Tachi »

This reputation is mostly because Walmart is the only big-box retailer with significant locations in rural and small town America.  Walmart's competiters like Target tend to be much more concentrated in urban or suburban areas. 

Despite the perception that Target is "higher end" than Walmart, Walmart's financials are in much better position and I imagine that they will outlast Target by decades.  Target's problem is that they attempt to compete for higher-end "suburban" shoppers in areas where that demographic has ample boutique or specialty retail options.  Walmart's philosophy is to basically be the only game in town for the millions of rural Americans in the South and Midwest.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2019, 12:15:00 PM »

This reputation is mostly because Walmart is the only big-box retailer with significant locations in rural and small town America.  Walmart's competiters like Target tend to be much more concentrated in urban or suburban areas.  

Despite the perception that Target is "higher end" than Walmart, Walmart's financials are in much better position and I imagine that they will outlast Target by decades.  Target's problem is that they attempt to compete for higher-end "suburban" shoppers in areas where that demographic has ample boutique or specialty retail options.  Walmart's philosophy is to basically be the only game in town for the millions of rural Americans in the South and Midwest.

I don't think Target being "higher-end" than Wal-Mart is perception necessarily. The issue is that middle-market retail is struggling, but low-end retail is doing well, generally, across the board. It's not just Wal-Mart - sellers of true crap like Dollar Tree/Family Dollar and Dollar General are also flourishing. Target suffers because it's trying to focus on middle-income buyers more than low-income buyers, but middle-income is a tough market these days.

I actually don't think I've been inside a Wal-Mart, or at least not more than once or twice in my life. There is no Wal-Mart in NYC even today, I don't think (or if one has opened in the past few years, it's not transit-accessible).
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2019, 12:38:43 PM »

This reputation is mostly because Walmart is the only big-box retailer with significant locations in rural and small town America.  Walmart's competiters like Target tend to be much more concentrated in urban or suburban areas. 

Despite the perception that Target is "higher end" than Walmart, Walmart's financials are in much better position and I imagine that they will outlast Target by decades.  Target's problem is that they attempt to compete for higher-end "suburban" shoppers in areas where that demographic has ample boutique or specialty retail options.  Walmart's philosophy is to basically be the only game in town for the millions of rural Americans in the South and Midwest.

I don't think Target being "higher-end" than Wal-Mart is perception necessarily. The issue is that middle-market retail is struggling, but low-end retail is doing well, generally, across the board. It's not just Wal-Mart - sellers of true crap like Dollar Tree/Family Dollar and Dollar General are also flourishing. Target suffers because it's trying to focus on middle-income buyers more than low-income buyers, but middle-income is a tough market these days.

I actually don't think I've been inside a Wal-Mart, or at least not more than once or twice in my life. There is no Wal-Mart in NYC even today, I don't think (or if one has opened in the past few years, it's not transit-accessible).

Yes.  Middle-income retail is harder because your shoppers have more opportunities of where to shop - namely local boutiques, specialty stores, department stores, and online.  Middle income people still spend beaucoup money on retail, it's just increasingly online or in specialty outlets.

Also, think about how much of Walmart's sales are driven by household and perishable items (i.e., groceries, toiletries, cleaning supplies, etc.) versus Target, whose sales are more reliant on apparel, personal accessories, and home goods.  The retail markets where Target currently excels are much more likely to be replaced by online options.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2019, 08:10:40 PM »

FWIW I actually have a couple of pieces of clothing from Target's Goodfellow brand and was surprisingly satisfied with them.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies