Pennsylvania
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:43:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Pennsylvania
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Pennsylvania  (Read 5653 times)
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 16, 2017, 04:11:54 PM »

I have a copy of How Barack Obama Won (Chuck Todd and Sheldon Gawaiser).  An excerpt from their chapter on Pennsylvania:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This analysis seems wrong in several respects.  First, Pennsylvania doesn't have anywhere close the the educational attainment levels of New York, New Jersey, New England and Maryland - so either there was a huge skew towards college graduates voting in PA in particular that year or these exit poll surveys include a fair number of people who don't actually have 4-year degrees.  Also, it seems to downplay Obama having a pretty solid WWC vote in PA.
uti2

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 04:56:45 PM »

Economic collapse muted the display of Mccain's electoral strength. All pre-Lehman polls indicated Mccain to be a stronger candidate in swing states than Romney 2012.

Romney's economic positions actually hurt him.
super6646
Canada

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 05:02:08 PM »

Economic collapse muted the display of Mccain's electoral strength. All pre-Lehman polls indicated Mccain to be a stronger candidate in swing states than Romney 2012.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF9ndn-R1_I&t=126s

This is the day Lehman collapsed (so polls before this day had to be compiled for this map). Mccain was doing far better than Romney ever did in 2012 at this point.
60+ GOP Seats After 2018 GUARANTEED
ahugecat

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 06:15:27 PM »

McCain got a huge jump in the polls because of the Palin pick. Then she opened her mouth.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 06:19:13 PM »

McCain got a huge jump in the polls because of the Palin pick. Then she opened her mouth.
uti2

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 06:30:39 PM »

Palin was highly scripted. No different from Rubio, but she was a VP, all she needed to do was stick to the script. Financial crisis complicated the issue, because it was a dynamic situation for which the Republican establishment did not have an established talking point for (initially some opposed, others supported TARP, until they eventually formally endorsed TARP in unison). Rubio had similar troubles in non-scripted settings.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 06:43:37 PM »

This is the day Lehman collapsed (so polls before this day had to be compiled for this map). Mccain was doing far better than Romney ever did in 2012 at this point.

Even in the period following the first 2012 debate? 
ahugecat

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 07:19:02 PM »

Palin was highly scripted. No different from Rubio, but she was a VP, all she needed to do was stick to the script. Financial crisis complicated the issue, because it was a dynamic situation for which the Republican establishment did not have an established talking point for (initially some opposed, others supported TARP, until they eventually formally endorsed TARP in unison). Rubio had similar troubles in non-scripted settings.

Have you seen Game Change (the movie)?
uti2

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 07:36:22 PM »

Have you seen Game Change (the movie)?

Same as Rubio. Rehearsed, Scripted, did everything per handler recommendation.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 09:34:21 PM »

What's interesting to me is this analysis suggests that a WWC-populist campaign could never work because too much like NY/NJ/MD, Philadelphia suburbs or whatever.
super6646
Canada

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 10:46:03 PM »

Even in the period following the first 2012 debate? 

Yep. Romney was still losing Nevada and Ohio (two states Mccain was leading in), while being tied in Virginia, Colorado, Florida (Mccain doing a bit better in all of these states, with florida leaning for Mccain). Oregon and Washington were never even competitve for Romney (Mccain had closed to single digits), and Mccain was polling better in MN, MI, and even WI. Romney was never ahead of Obama, even at this best.
twenty42
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 03:01:52 PM »

The final results of 2008 make it easy to forget what a close, intense election it was for much of the year.
uti2

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2017, 03:21:16 PM »

The final results of 2008 make it easy to forget what a close, intense election it was for much of the year.

It also allows people to forget how much of a polarizing figure Obama was. Hillary actually polled better than Obama swing-state wise.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2008/05/clintons-closing-argument-to-superdelegates/53314/

Obama wasn't picked for electability, he was picked for running a polarizing ideological campaign.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2017, 11:34:22 PM »
« Edited: October 17, 2017, 11:47:25 PM by Statilius the Epicurean »

I agree with this post. Without the financial crisis McCain could easily have squeaked a victory on the back of a Palin-inspired culture war victory as Trump managed in 2016.

It also allows people to forget how much of a polarizing figure Obama was. Hillary actually polled better than Obama swing-state wise.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2008/05/clintons-closing-argument-to-superdelegates/53314/

Obama wasn't picked for electability, he was picked for running a polarizing ideological campaign.

This is a bit exaggerated though. Really, Obama was picked for running a (deliberately non-polarising) "let's make America post-racial" campaign. Clinton polled better in the swing states because she had more support among the WWC demographic which is highly concentrated there (as we saw in 2016), not because Obama was polarising. In fact, his fav/unfav during the campaign were stable in the low-60s/mid-30s. I also found this article from the primary about Obama bringing up Clinton's relatively high unfavourability and saying she "starts off with 47% of the country against her" (sound familiar?).

Though, in retrospect, I think things would have worked out better for the Democratic party and America if Clinton had won the nomination in 08. President Hillary could have avoided the whitelash Democrats suffered under Obama and also probably would have handled healthcare with more experience, then handing the baton to Obama's unifying post-racial message in the more 'woke' America of 2016.
uti2

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2017, 12:08:04 AM »

I agree with this post. Without the financial crisis McCain could easily have squeaked a victory on the back of a Palin-inspired culture war victory as Trump managed in 2016.

This is a bit exaggerated though. Really, Obama was picked for running a (deliberately non-polarising) "let's make America post-racial" campaign. Clinton polled better in the swing states because she had more support among the WWC demographic which is highly concentrated there (as we saw in 2016), not because Obama was polarising. In fact, his fav/unfav during the campaign were stable in the low-60s/mid-30s. I also found this article from the primary about Obama bringing up Clinton's relatively high unfavourability and saying she "starts off with 47% of the country against her" (sound familiar?).

Though, in retrospect, I think things would have worked out better for the Democratic party and America if Clinton had won the nomination in 08. President Hillary could have avoided the whitelash Democrats suffered under Obama and also probably would have handled healthcare with more experience, then handing the baton to Obama's unifying post-racial message in the more 'woke' America of 2016.

He was more polarizing in Middle America (and especially the South) for sure. That's how the Blue Dogs were wiped out, that event begat the Tea Party. He won by pandering to the Left, and used the anti iraq war card to make an argument to overturn the foreign policy consensus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6f4tZFZ_-g
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2017, 07:40:39 AM »

I still believe that in the end, the best McCain could have done was a 1968 Humphrey or 1976 Ford style narrow loss even without the financial crisis.  The fundamentals were still horrible for McCain and much worse than they were for even Humphrey and Ford.  Bush's approval ratings were in the 20s and the economy was clearly in recession territory.  Unemployment rose from around 4.4% in summer 2007 to 6.2% in late summer 2008.  No candidate has ever won with the fundamentals so much against them.
twenty42
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2017, 09:19:23 AM »

I still believe that in the end, the best McCain could have done was a 1968 Humphrey or 1976 Ford style narrow loss even without the financial crisis.  The fundamentals were still horrible for McCain and much worse than they were for even Humphrey and Ford.  Bush's approval ratings were in the 20s and the economy was clearly in recession territory.  Unemployment rose from around 4.4% in summer 2007 to 6.2% in late summer 2008.  No candidate has ever won with the fundamentals so much against them.

Fundamentals were pretty horrible for Truman in 1948.

One of McCain’s bigger mistakes was leaving Obama’s biggest scandal on the table until the very end. If he had hammered on Reverend Wright from the get-go I think he keeps IN/NC and puts OH into squeaker territory, even in OTL.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2017, 09:32:56 AM »

Fundamentals were pretty horrible for Truman in 1948.

The economy had fantastic economic growth for most of 1948 with a huge increase in real disposable income.  The economy didn't start sliding into recession until late Fall, well too late to start having an impact on the election.

uti2

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2017, 11:08:54 AM »

Apparently, the fundamentals were stacked against GWB, how did he do?
ahugecat

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2017, 11:11:15 AM »

Someone said that had the economic collapse not happened, Obama's 2008 win would resemble his 2012 win - 4 popular vote lead, and the 2012 state margins.

That sounds about right. Palin could have been a huge boon if she was better prepped. She truly was the star of the 2008 election - even over Obama. No one cared about McCain.
ahugecat

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2017, 11:14:48 AM »

Apparently, the fundamentals were stacked against GWB, how did he do?

Well he did lose the popular vote and it was the closest electoral college result in history. He only won Florida by the skin of his teeth (10,000 votes).
uti2

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2017, 11:29:49 AM »

I still believe that in the end, the best McCain could have done was a 1968 Humphrey or 1976 Ford style narrow loss even without the financial crisis.  The fundamentals were still horrible for McCain and much worse than they were for even Humphrey and Ford.  Bush's approval ratings were in the 20s and the economy was clearly in recession territory.  Unemployment rose from around 4.4% in summer 2007 to 6.2% in late summer 2008.  No candidate has ever won with the fundamentals so much against them.

Someone said that had the economic collapse not happened, Obama's 2008 win would resemble his 2012 win - 4 popular vote lead, and the 2012 state margins.

That sounds about right. Palin could have been a huge boon if she was better prepped. She truly was the star of the 2008 election - even over Obama. No one cared about McCain.

Would've been far closer than 2012. Before Lehman collapsed, not a single poll had Obama up in FL, VA, etc., in contrast, Hillary easily beat Mccain in FL and was competitive in a number of southern states like AR.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2017, 11:45:15 AM »
« Edited: October 18, 2017, 11:47:07 AM by Mr.Phips »

I still believe that in the end, the best McCain could have done was a 1968 Humphrey or 1976 Ford style narrow loss even without the financial crisis.  The fundamentals were still horrible for McCain and much worse than they were for even Humphrey and Ford.  Bush's approval ratings were in the 20s and the economy was clearly in recession territory.  Unemployment rose from around 4.4% in summer 2007 to 6.2% in late summer 2008.  No candidate has ever won with the fundamentals so much against them.

Would've been far closer than 2012. Before Lehman collapsed, not a single poll had Obama up in FL, VA, etc., in contrast, Hillary easily beat Mccain in FL and was competitive in a number of southern states like AR.

There were plenty that had Obama ahead of McCain in Virginia before 9/15.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/va/virginia_mccain_vs_obama-551.html#polls
uti2

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2017, 11:52:30 AM »

There were plenty that had Obama ahead of McCain in Virginia before 9/15.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/va/virginia_mccain_vs_obama-551.html#polls

Was exaggerating, but if you look at the trending of numbers before 9/15 overall Mccain looked more like Obama did in 2012 in those states than like Romney.

For sure, had Romney been the nominee in '08, he would've been wiped out.
ahugecat

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2017, 12:16:24 PM »

Obama was struggling in the polls in Virginia and Florida leading up to election day 2012.

He would have separated himself in 2008 as well. Same margins as 2012. No one cared about McCain and Palin was a flop after initial excitement.

Obama would have won Virginia 3-5 points in 2008 and Florida by 0.5-1.5.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies