Pennsylvania (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:51:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Pennsylvania (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pennsylvania  (Read 5754 times)
twenty42
United States

« on: October 17, 2017, 03:01:52 PM »

Economic collapse muted the display of Mccain's electoral strength. All pre-Lehman polls indicated Mccain to be a stronger candidate in swing states than Romney 2012.

Romney's economic positions actually hurt him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF9ndn-R1_I&t=126s

This is the day Lehman collapsed (so polls before this day had to be compiled for this map). Mccain was doing far better than Romney ever did in 2012 at this point.

The final results of 2008 make it easy to forget what a close, intense election it was for much of the year.
twenty42
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 09:19:23 AM »

Economic collapse muted the display of Mccain's electoral strength. All pre-Lehman polls indicated Mccain to be a stronger candidate in swing states than Romney 2012.

Romney's economic positions actually hurt him.

I agree with this post. Without the financial crisis McCain could easily have squeaked a victory on the back of a Palin-inspired culture war victory as Trump managed in 2016.

I still believe that in the end, the best McCain could have done was a 1968 Humphrey or 1976 Ford style narrow loss even without the financial crisis.  The fundamentals were still horrible for McCain and much worse than they were for even Humphrey and Ford.  Bush's approval ratings were in the 20s and the economy was clearly in recession territory.  Unemployment rose from around 4.4% in summer 2007 to 6.2% in late summer 2008.  No candidate has ever won with the fundamentals so much against them.

Fundamentals were pretty horrible for Truman in 1948.

One of McCain’s bigger mistakes was leaving Obama’s biggest scandal on the table until the very end. If he had hammered on Reverend Wright from the get-go I think he keeps IN/NC and puts OH into squeaker territory, even in OTL.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies