TV series you used to love and now hate (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:34:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  TV series you used to love and now hate (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: TV series you used to love and now hate  (Read 2278 times)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: October 17, 2017, 12:49:39 AM »

Easily Yugi-oh!
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 09:42:21 PM »

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 10:47:54 AM »

I liked the formulaic looseness initially. But it wore out its welcome after a while. Also, the cheap effects don't hold up so well.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 02:03:38 PM »

I liked the formulaic looseness initially. But it wore out its welcome after a while. Also, the cheap effects don't hold up so well.

Obviously holding episodes from the 70's by today's standards is a tough one though certain stories suffer for them - some have other things to like from them like Invasion of the Dinosaurs with its crappy looking dinosaurs has a pretty solid conspiracy story with betrayal behind it while others like Underworld which has cartoonish masked villains and a general lack drama are severely lacking. Doctor Who from that era was immensely popular in the UK and of course for those in America from the 70's and 80's who predominantly started out with Tom Baker.

A major criticism of the John Nathan Turner era was the brightly lit sets that did little to hide the budget limitations of the show. I stopped watching as a child in Season 22 (the first Colin Baker - 6th Doctor era) and to my knowledge the local PBS did not air the remaining seasons' stories. Thus I have absolutely no nostalgic fondness for the later years of the original series run from 1986-89 that helped me overlook the gaps in production values for the 80's stories when Buck Rogers & Battlestar Galactica had already shown what TV sci fi could do with a decent budget.

There are some examples - notably in the Russell T Davies era (Doctor 9 & 10) of already dated CG too - The Lazarus Effect, Idiot's Lantern, The Satan Pit, School Reunion, The Unicorn and the Wasp, and a few others come to mind in terms of having CG that does not look very good now. Obviously others are quite good - like Human Nature, The Girl in the Fireplace, and Blink - and these seem to rely a bit less on large CG heavy scenes in general.

I've seen nothing before Eccleston's run as the Doctor. Made somewhere into David Tennant before I gave up.

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 11:49:36 AM »

@Vanguard: I went back to animation, Avatar: The Last Airbender returned with a sequel series, Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Rebels ended being the best thing Star Wars, Gravity Falls happened too, and I could go on and on.

I figured if I'm gonna have mostly cartoony antics, at least let the world be visually stunning, have the characters do tthing Live Action can't do and cut back on the melodrama.

Back on topic, Supergirl is also a show I burned out on after 2nd season, though I've heard it pulled an Arrow, or as of late, Flash,so  I may look into it once my plate clears.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies