Why/how did Pete Wilson beat Feinstein in 1990?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:36:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Why/how did Pete Wilson beat Feinstein in 1990?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why/how did Pete Wilson beat Feinstein in 1990?  (Read 968 times)
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 16, 2017, 05:56:00 PM »

I know California was still a red state on the presidential level at that time, but in a good Democratic year with an outgoing two-term Republican governor, how did Pete Wilson beat fairly popular Dianne Feinstein?
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 06:02:33 PM »

I've kind of wondered this too.  Wilson was a two term US Senator and popular San Diego mayor who Republicans knew was their only hope of beating Feinstein.  I know that Wilson basically ran a perfect campaign, while Republicans kept tying Feinstein to controversial Assembly Speaker Willie Brown.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 06:16:40 PM »

I do not know either. Wilson is also very conservative. He even endorsed Ted Cruz in 2016 and has long been conservative on immigration.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 11:03:13 PM »

I do not know either. Wilson is also very conservative. He even endorsed Ted Cruz in 2016 and has long been conservative on immigration.

Wilson was right on taxes and crime.

Immigration was an issue more favorable to the GOP in the California of 1990. 

California, at the Presidential level, was a swing state in 1990.  It had recently recalled its Supreme Court Chief Justice for anti-death penalty rulings.  It had a large number of defense industry workers that were Republican-inclined and viewed the Democrats as the party of DoD cutbacks.  Its demography was NOT the majority-minority demography it is today. 
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 08:26:00 AM »

Maybe that has also something to do with gender. It is still a factor for some voters today, and we're talking about 1990 right now. Crime was a big issue back then and Wilson obviously seemed more of the "law and order candidate".
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 09:04:14 AM »

Pete Wilson played the Gillespie card of appearing reasonable and moderate on most social issues [California was already a known liberal bastion on social issues by this point, even in the '80's], except on crime, where he was "tough".
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 11:26:38 AM »

Wilson was right on taxes and crime.

Immigration was an issue more favorable to the GOP in the California of 1990. 

California, at the Presidential level, was a swing state in 1990.  It had recently recalled its Supreme Court Chief Justice for anti-death penalty rulings.  It had a large number of defense industry workers that were Republican-inclined and viewed the Democrats as the party of DoD cutbacks.  Its demography was NOT the majority-minority demography it is today. 

^ the post-Cold War “peace dividend” hit Southern California very hard and presaged an exodus of defense contractors, especially places like San Diego and Los Angeles counties. One of the reasons my parents moved away from there, and it’s an underrated reason in CA’s turn from red to blue
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 11:54:12 AM »

It should also be noted that Feinstein faced a seriously divisive primary challenge from the far more liberal Attorney General, while Wilson just sailed through.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies