Trying to forgive evangelical Trump voters at Chris Tomlin’s Xcel concert
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:55:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trying to forgive evangelical Trump voters at Chris Tomlin’s Xcel concert
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trying to forgive evangelical Trump voters at Chris Tomlin’s Xcel concert  (Read 1212 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 16, 2017, 08:49:23 PM »

http://www.citypages.com/music/trying-to-forgive-evangelical-trump-voters-at-chris-tomlins-xcel-concert/451032083

Good read.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 09:15:32 PM »

Sounds like that author has some unresolved issues stemming from his childhood. Why does Christian rock make him so angry for some reason?

This bit though lmao:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 10:02:23 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'll take your word for it.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 12:34:03 AM »

An interesting read.

I identify with the man to a point.  I was an open Obama supporter in 2012 and a Kerry supporter in 2004.  I have been concerned about the degree to which Evangelicals have injected endless enthusiasm for every foreign war America enters, and the Patriotic displays that have become part of some church services (not every Sunday, but, seemingly, more often).  I respect the flag, but my worship is for Him, Alone.  I've listened to the political views of some of my brethren.  One of my closer friends really believes Obama had a plan for "re-education camps" of some kind.  Needless to say, I don't talk politics with these folks. 

I certainly agree that much of the Body of Christ in America has abandoned Almsgiving for the poor.  Almsgiving is Biblical, and, arguably, moreso than Tithing.  There is a need for attitude correction amongst many Christians, and many Pastors are failing to provide it.  Sad to say, my current Pastor is one of them, and I am torn between my burden for members of my congregation and the fact the man is preoccupied with his own retirement finances and it has reduced the amount of real ministry my church actually does.  So, yes, the man has a point.

As the man did not get into doctrine in this article, I do wonder what his actual views, as a Pastor are regarding matters of abortion, homosexuality, marriage, etc.  I wonder what his view is on the inerrancy of Scripture.  Indeed, I wonder what his view is on Salvation, itself, because THAT is what the GOSPEL is all about.  THAT was the WHOLE purpose for Jesus's Life as a Human; that is WHY the WORD became Flesh and dwelt among us.

So while the man makes some good points, I wonder, from his musings, if he hasn't experienced a major crisis of faith.  And, if so, who and what has he lost faith in? 

I don't have faith in Donald Trump for my Salvation, but I don't nurse grudges against folks who think me daft for voting for Obama in 2012 or for needing a loan of tinfoil to make a new hat.  It's who they are; even my friend, the conspiracy theorist is a loyal and faithful Brother in the things that matter.  The Bible says, "Have faith in God!".  Faith, alone, is not what we need; it's where we place our faith that makes it vital.  (Just ask any loser at the racetrack or Fantasy Football.)

I hope I'm wrong.  The man made good points, and his heart is in the right place as far as the less fortunate go.  But Jesus, Himself, told his Disciples how people would know they were His Disciples: "By this, they will know you; that you will have Love, each for the other."  There is a problem when a Christian, and especially a PASTOR, is far away from that standard of a right attitude toward your brethren that Jesus, Himself set.  I hope the man is resolving that.  I only know him by what he says in this article.  But I know the Word of God, and what it says.   
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 12:56:42 AM »

I'm not particularly angry at anyone for voting Trump, even if they voted for Obama previously. Let's admit it, if you're an evangelical, it admittedly doesn't make very much sense to vote for someone (Clinton) who wants to repeal the Hyde Amendment, something Obama never proposed. Beyond that, Clinton went around calling people deplorables, got called "extremely careless" by the FBI Director, advocated for an immigration view far to the left of Obama, went too far left on guns for the general election, ignored the white-working-class vote, etc. And I get that voting Evan McMullin didn't make much sense outside of Utah, and that Gary Johnson's views on abortion and drugs made many conservatives uncomfortable.  For me, what matters is to what extent of a Trump activist they are. Are they going around promoting his agenda, saying he's an amazing president, echoing his racist, sexist, and anti-Islamist sentiments, etc. - that's a problem for me. But if they're the type who is more the "Well I don't exactly like him, but what choice did we have?" camp, which is the clearly dominant camp among people my age, it honestly doesn't bother me.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies