Sen McCain warns against 'spurious nationalism' in Liberty Medal speech
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:28:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Sen McCain warns against 'spurious nationalism' in Liberty Medal speech
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Sen McCain warns against 'spurious nationalism' in Liberty Medal speech  (Read 1942 times)
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 16, 2017, 10:45:48 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 10:49:03 PM »

until this man decides he no longer thirsts for the blood of dead Iranians, I really don't care about any sort of sanctimonious stand he has against President Trump.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 11:08:21 PM »

Highly ironic considering mccain has never met a war he didn't like.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 11:10:19 PM »

It's hard for me to believe that McCain is really against "spurious nationalism" when he was the guy saying we should continue the Iraq War for eternity if that was necessary to achieve "victory".
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 11:11:53 PM »

I ought to try out this whole cancer thing. Apparently it makes everything you say super awesome and intellectual or something Wink
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 11:32:25 PM »

I ought to try out this whole cancer thing. Apparently it makes everything you say super awesome and intellectual or something Wink

I faked cancer to get pity sex once. The girl told me she pitied me before the cancer.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 11:50:22 PM »

Why is it patriotic to support NAFTA, GATT, TPP, Open Borders, etc.?  Not to mention endless foreign interventionism?

We don't need higher levels of immigration, period.  It's not in the interest of American workers.

We don't need more foreign wars.  It's not in the interest of American citizens and taxpayers.

Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 11:52:26 PM »

Why is it patriotic to support NAFTA, GATT, TPP, Open Borders, etc.?  Not to mention endless foreign interventionism?

We don't need higher levels of immigration, period.  It's not in the interest of American workers.

We don't need more foreign wars.  It's not in the interest of American citizens and taxpayers.

Senator John McCain has never supported open borders. Contrary to what the Tea Party may be telling you, both the 2007 and 2013 immigration reform packages included extensive increases to border security.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 11:57:14 PM »

Senator John McCain has never supported open borders. Contrary to what the Tea Party may be telling you, both the 2007 and 2013 immigration reform packages included extensive increases to border security.

SENATOR McCain does not.  PRESIDENT McCain would have.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 12:50:56 AM »

hasn't American nationalism been "spurious" since at least the mid 70s?  If all those yellow ribbon magnets on the back of gas guzzling SUVs a decade back didn't prove it, I'm not sure what would.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 07:40:31 AM »

until this man decides he no longer thirsts for the blood of dead Iranians, I really don't care about any sort of sanctimonious stand he has against President Trump.

I don't think that level of absolutism is helping the goal of saving the country from the forces of chaos and destruction that Trump lets carry him.

Certainly, Trumpublicans who criticize Dumb Leader but then support everything he does should be judged on what they do, not what they say. McCain has memorably put his vote where his mouth is on Trump. We need more of that, and less of Sasse.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 09:59:18 AM »

We need to go back to good old fashioned nationalism: Firebombing Vietnamese rice farmers like John McCain would have done.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2017, 12:37:16 PM »

We need to go back to good old fashioned nationalism: Firebombing Vietnamese rice farmers like John McCain would have done.
And Iranians, don't you dare forget those no good dirty Iranians!
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2017, 01:57:33 PM »
« Edited: October 17, 2017, 02:08:21 PM by Generally Useless »

I faked cancer to get pity sex once. The girl told me she pitied me before the cancer.

You two are disgusting human beings.
People suffering from cancer is not something to make jokes about.

publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2017, 02:06:09 PM »
« Edited: October 17, 2017, 02:08:35 PM by Generally Useless »

You two are disgusting human beings.
People suffering from cancer is not something to make jokes about.

It's so easy to get the moral high ground on Sanchez, why the f**k do you guys keep throwing yourself off of it by making fun of his brother? Jesus.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2017, 02:12:08 PM »

Have either of you ever had cancer?
I have twice, I don't find it funny, so you better be careful here.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2017, 02:12:55 PM »
« Edited: October 17, 2017, 02:15:54 PM by DTC »

Solid speech by Mccain. I don't always like him (especially his foreign policy about Iran), but he's a smart guy.

We don't need higher levels of immigration, period.  It's not in the interest of American workers.

Immigration is maybe not the best for american workers, but it's very good for retired people. Young immigrants would help pay for Social Security and Medicare which have become very expensive programs because of the huge baby boomer population. American people are not having enough babies to help pay for these programs (without getting screwed themselves - few benefits go to working class americans). You can use the "but they take muh welfare" argument, but we pay far far more in taxes for Social Security and Medicare (and lets not forget that Medicaid is used for people in nursing homes who can no longer afford it) than any food stamp program. SS + Medicare + Medicaid for people in nursing homes is around 50% of the federal budget, and another ~20% or so is used for the military.

Also, many corporations are having a hard time finding employees (both unskilled and skilled) because there aren't enough Americans in their area that are qualified (many are addicted to drugs,  they don't want to work the job because they think it's "beneath them", or the skills and training for the job are not in ample enough supply in America.)

I always find it funny that the american people who benefit from immigration the most tend to be the most against it.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2017, 02:24:59 PM »

What was said about my brother this time?
i4indyguy
Rookie
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2017, 04:39:10 PM »

Sen. McCain has never been as sleek a speech giver as Obama for instance, but it did stand out to me that the Sen. tripped over and struggled with the text on a couple of occasions. It makes me very sad, but I am worried there might be some INITIAL outward signs of his illness manifesting in his actions. I really hope I am wrong.

But his speech was definitely an attempt to plant a banner and make one last stand for what he thinks it means to serve the country and protect our institutions. I think he wanted to make sure people remember that he is prepared to die on the hill he has been fighting on his whole life.

It was very "I am John McCain, and this is where I will make my final stand"   
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2017, 04:47:01 PM »

As much as i deeply disagree with Mccain's polices of never ending war, he is a war hero. Trump on the other hand got a deferment for bone spirs in his foot and when asked couldn't say which foot it was.
i4indyguy
Rookie
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2017, 07:35:39 PM »

I had heard of the bone spur thing, but not this part. Donald has said numerous times that as a young man he wanted to be in the military. That he looked up to soldiers. How much he loved military boarding school (some evidence that he may have been sent there to correct severe behavioral issues).  He certainly could have served in Vietnam if he wanted to.

publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2017, 07:45:41 PM »

I'm really surprised this clip doesn't come up every time Trump is compared to real soldiers.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2017, 02:49:35 PM »

John McCain needs to retire.
Jeffster
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2017, 03:13:40 PM »

Solid speech by Mccain. I don't always like him (especially his foreign policy about Iran), but he's a smart guy.

We don't need higher levels of immigration, period.  It's not in the interest of American workers.

Immigration is maybe not the best for american workers, but it's very good for retired people. Young immigrants would help pay for Social Security and Medicare which have become very expensive programs because of the huge baby boomer population. American people are not having enough babies to help pay for these programs (without getting screwed themselves - few benefits go to working class americans). You can use the "but they take muh welfare" argument, but we pay far far more in taxes for Social Security and Medicare (and lets not forget that Medicaid is used for people in nursing homes who can no longer afford it) than any food stamp program. SS + Medicare + Medicaid for people in nursing homes is around 50% of the federal budget, and another ~20% or so is used for the military.

Any system that requires constant population growth is not sustainable on a finite planet. It would be better to reform the system than keep propping up what you are describing as a ponzi scheme.

If they are having trouble finding workers they can raise wages to entice more people to do those jobs. They don't want to do that, so these business owners cry about a lack of workers, when it's really a lack of workers willing to do the jobs for sh**tty wages.

The ones who benefit the most from immigration are people who have jobs that can't be outsourced or replaced by an immigrant, who then take advantage of the cheap goods produced on the backs of exploited foreign workers abroad and exploited immigrant labor here at home, and then who look down on American workers who had their jobs outsourced and their wages depressed by the increased labor supply.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2017, 03:17:47 PM »

I had heard of the bone spur thing, but not this part. Donald has said numerous times that as a young man he wanted to be in the military. That he looked up to soldiers. How much he loved military boarding school (some evidence that he may have been sent there to correct severe behavioral issues).  He certainly could have served in Vietnam if he wanted to.

Severe behavioral issues, huh? You don’t say?

Any system that requires constant population growth is not sustainable on a finite planet. It would be better to reform the system than keep propping up what you are describing as a ponzi scheme.

If they are having trouble finding workers they can raise wages to entice more people to do those jobs. They don't want to do that, so these business owners cry about a lack of workers, when it's really a lack of workers willing to do the jobs for sh**tty wages.

The ones who benefit the most from immigration are people who have jobs that can't be outsourced or replaced by an immigrant, who then take advantage of the cheap goods produced on the backs of exploited foreign workers abroad and exploited immigrant labor here at home, and then who look down on American workers who had their jobs outsourced and their wages depressed by the increased labor supply.

Seems like E-Verify, and punishing the employers who refuse to honor it instead of wrist-slaps, would ameliorate much of this
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies