Trump to widow of Sgt. La David Johnson: "He knew what he signed up for"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:06:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump to widow of Sgt. La David Johnson: "He knew what he signed up for"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Trump to widow of Sgt. La David Johnson: "He knew what he signed up for"  (Read 4616 times)
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 17, 2017, 08:03:13 PM »

Can you imagine any other President saying this?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 08:13:06 PM »

Here, Trump says what everyone else is thinking.

However, no other President would say this because of common decency.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 08:19:31 PM »

No man who regards the deaths of soldiers so callously should ever, in any event, be made Commander in Chief of the military and allowed to provoke hostile foreign powers.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 08:26:33 PM »

The context matters here.  I don't know what it is.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 08:44:09 PM »

Glad someone is finally standing up to these snowflake army widows.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 08:55:14 PM »

Cannot believe that the man popular among Republicans for having zero sense of empathy would be so terrible at consoling people.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 09:26:05 PM »

Anyone want to defend Trump on this one?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 09:32:05 PM »

I can't imagine anyone I've ever met in my life saying this, much less any other President.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 09:32:34 PM »

Textbook Sociopath.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 09:34:31 PM »

Reminds me of when Tony Abbott was told about a troops death and said "well, sh**t happens folks". Is a lack of empathy pretty common in fairly nationalist right wingers?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 09:36:46 PM »

Again, where are the usual blue avatars that screech about winning and how Trump is right because he won the electoral college? Still waiting. They won't come in this thread, because they can't defend this one. And before anyone says it, it's not a joke like everyone and their mother likes  to say to excuse away everything Trump says.
bandg
Rookie
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 09:37:28 PM »

Anyone want to defend Trump on this one?

I see nothing wrong with this statement. He was highlighting the bravery of soldiers who choose to risk their life to serve their country.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2017, 09:37:49 PM »

As it says, it's a developing story, but my interpretation is that he was saying that the soldier, may he rest in peace, knew the risks of the job.  Saying "but when it happens it hurts anyway" is saying that such travesty looms over everyone's heads, and while many prepare for the worst, they are still hit hard.

I would like more context, however, than a third-hand account.

I am so sick of you defending this vile monster.

It is NEVER okay to say that to a widow on the day of her husband's funeral!
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2017, 09:38:25 PM »

Again, where are the usual blue avatars that screech about winning and how Trump is right because he won the electoral college? Still waiting. They won't come in this thread, because they can't defend this one. And before anyone says it, it's not a joke like everyone and their mother likes  to say to excuse away everything Trump says.
4th post.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2017, 09:50:34 PM »

No context would make that comment appropriate.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2017, 10:03:02 PM »

As it says, it's a developing story, but my interpretation is that he was saying that the soldier, may he rest in peace, knew the risks of the job.  Saying "but when it happens it hurts anyway" is saying that such travesty looms over everyone's heads, and while many prepare for the worst, they are still hit hard.

I would like more context, however, than a third-hand account.

I am so sick of you defending this vile monster.

It is NEVER okay to say that to a widow on the day of her husband's funeral!

Again, I WOULD PREFER CONTEXT. From what I read, it looked like he was trying to console her and say that this is a job that he took and he knew the risks of doing it and that he signed up to defend the nation.  The sergeant, rest in peace, was an honorable man.  Am I wrong about what Trump was trying to say through the comment? That's very possible, but again, I would like to see full context.  If I'm wrong and he did mean this in an extremely disrespectful manner, then I will 100% admit that I am wrong.

And I do not consistently defend him.  He has been doing a f***ing horrible job and is easily one of the worst presidents this nation has had.  I want him out as badly as the next guy.  The s*** he says puts me in horrible moods.  He is a horrible, horrible, horrible president.

I think the issue is more that even in that context, this was still an incredibly cruel and insensitive thing to say.  Trump displayed a complete lack of even the most basic degree of empathy.  That said, I do think it's unfair to act like The Saint some sort of mindless Trump stooge.  He definitely gives him the benefit of the doubt too often and seems to have a real blind spot with regard to the GOP's racism, but he's also not part of Trump's unthinking personality cult.  That alone puts The Saint well above many on the forum in my book.  Maybe it's a low bar, but it's one a disturbing number of Americans can't seem to pass.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2017, 10:05:20 PM »

Yes. He knew what he signed up for. That's what makes him a hero. That wasn't obvious to you guys?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2017, 10:16:28 PM »

Yes. He knew what he signed up for. That's what makes him a hero. That wasn't obvious to you guys?

I think we all know that if Barack Obama had said something like this to a military widow, you'd be calling for impeachment.

For that matter, Trump let four Americans die in Niger. Why is he not being subject to the same scrutiny Hillary was when four Americans died in Benghazi?
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2017, 10:27:12 PM »

That's if one still believe that the GOP is a political party but right now it starting to closely resemble a cult. Let's wait till tomorrow morning for Fox and Friends defense to create the GOP narrative for their followers to mimic. 
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2017, 10:35:45 PM »

Trump will probably "defend himself" by tweeting something even worse at 3am tomorrow morning.

And naturally, the soldier and his widow were black. We all know Trump doesn't regard anyone other than white Republicans as "real" Americans so I'm sure they got the treatment they deserved in his estimation.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2017, 12:51:30 AM »

I think we all know that if Barack Obama had said something like this to a military widow, you'd be calling for impeachment.

For that matter, Trump let four Americans die in Niger. Why is he not being subject to the same scrutiny Hillary was when four Americans died in Benghazi?

And while we're quoting harsh truths...

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2017, 02:35:31 AM »

CNN Video.

President Trump called the families of troops who lost their lives in the Niger raid. Congresswoman Frederica Wilson says he (Trump) told the widow of Sergeant La David Johnson, "He knew what he signed up for." She talks to CNN's Don Lemon about the call.

The Congresswomen said she was in the car when Trump called, and she was "livid" when she heard (on speaker phone) what the President said. She asked the family to give her the phone, because the Congresswomen "was going to curse him out." The family did not give her the phone. (I wish they would have. trump deserved someone to tell him that, once again, he was being an assh**e !)

Watch and listen here. Link: http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2017/10/18/frederica-wilson-la-david-johnson-trump-call-intv-lemon-ctn.cnn

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2017, 06:54:48 AM »

He just does not understand the sorrow of others, and lacks the decency to admit such. No empathy.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2017, 07:02:58 AM »

What do you expect from someone who has a long history of denouncing and degrading our armed services?

Also, the blame should not solely fall on the president, but ALL of his voters. They endorsed this type of behavior with their vote.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2017, 07:10:23 AM »
« Edited: October 18, 2017, 07:16:36 AM by VirginiaModerate »

@realDonaldTrump

Democrat Congresswoman totally fabricated what I said to the wife of a soldier who died in action (and I have proof). Sad!

@425 in the morning no less

--

I am getting really sick of this type of sh*t from him. Disgusting. Background here, http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2017/10/18/frederica-wilson-la-david-johnson-trump-call-intv-lemon-ctn.cnn

No empathy whatsoever. F*** you Mr. President. Sorry if this is more elevated than my usual posts but as a vet, this type of stuff from His Orangeness really hits home for me.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies