Will TX GOV be more competitive than we think? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:49:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Will TX GOV be more competitive than we think? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will TX GOV be more competitive than we think?  (Read 1532 times)
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« on: October 17, 2017, 10:40:56 PM »

It's certainly possible, however, the trend that occurred in 2016, I think, was partially due to the extraordinary circumstances surrounding the election. Yes, Texas is certainly trending towards the left, but I don't think it's as hard to the left as some have stated. There is still an obvious majority of Republican-leaning voters, and being on the ground here in Texas and living in an area that is trending D harder than the rest of the state, I can still say the majority of the people I know (of many different political backgrounds) seem to support Abbott, and it seems that the GOP is still alive and well and no "funeral" is needed. However, this is anecdotal.

Texas is not as competitive as, say, Florida, so writing off the Texas GOP and declaring its death when Trump still had a nine point lead in 2016 seems a bit much, as nine points is not "close" by many standards. I once read in a FiveThirtyEight article that, for a candidate or party to win Texas, they need to win two of three things: the rural areas, the suburbs, and the city. Unlike suburbs in the Northeast and other areas (where most suburban moms went for Clinton), the GOP still seems to have a bit of a lock on the suburbs. Although, time will tell what happens to this come 2018. My C-TX avatar is just that: I'm actually from Texas, and from what I see day-to-day, it dosen't seem that the Republican Party is crumbling at the rate that some are proclaiming.

Another factor is that Abbott himself may not be affected by Trump himself as much as, well, Trump. Abbott certainly does not use the same campaign style and, while having the Republican label under his name, may not suffer the same effects as some other R's.

Although, it is still to far out to say.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 10:53:19 PM »

It's okay, Krazen. Hey, if you can get Wendy Davis to create an account here, she can be part of the funeral!

The funeral of her leadership of TX Democrats? Wink
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 11:00:38 PM »
« Edited: October 17, 2017, 11:04:40 PM by wxtransit »

It's okay, Krazen. Hey, if you can get Wendy Davis to create an account here, she can be part of the funeral!

The funeral of her leadership of TX Democrats? Wink
Yeah because the new guard is taking over. Viva la O' Rourke!

Olé!
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 11:05:25 PM »
« Edited: October 17, 2017, 11:08:32 PM by wxtransit »

This thread was a fascinating insight into the male mind.

Quite fascinating indeed. Smiley

Wait...I didn't put my gender down....... DO YOU KNOW WHERE I LIVE?

mic drop
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies