Hatch vs. McMullin vs. Huntsman
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:29:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Hatch vs. McMullin vs. Huntsman
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who would win the senatorial primary?
Orrin Hatch
Evan McMullin
Jon Huntsman
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Hatch vs. McMullin vs. Huntsman  (Read 932 times)
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 18, 2017, 02:37:39 AM »

A follow-up to my my thread, where Romney seems to be the overwhelming answer?

What if Mitt Romney doesn't run for Senate? Who will win the 2018 United States Senate election in Utah if these are the only three candidates to seek the Republican nomination?

Btw, Utah doesn't hold runoffs for their primaries, right?
And their primaries are closed, right?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 02:51:18 AM »

A follow-up to my my thread, where Romney seems to be the overwhelming answer?

What if Mitt Romney doesn't run for Senate? Who will win the 2018 United States Senate election in Utah if these are the only three candidates to seek the Republican nomination?

Btw, Utah doesn't hold runoffs for their primaries, right?
And their primaries are closed, right?
Yes, Utah does not hold run-offs, and as of today, Republican primaries (but not Democratic primaries) are closed. There's a ballot petition circulating that may be on the 2018 ballot that could change a variety of electoral laws in Utah, but it would not change anything until 2019.

In this case, I believe Jon Huntsman would win, as while he's not as well regarded as Mitt Romney, he's got a similar "Mormon royalty" background, and was the two-term governor of the state after all. It wouldn't be as easy and it's possible Hatch could squeak through, but I think Huntsman would be the moderate favorite. Hatch would be the next most likely, and I think McMullin has the least chance to win.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 03:06:08 AM »

Why is Hatch so unpopular? Has he just been a U.S. senator for too long? Or are there actual political issues?
SamTilden2020

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 06:54:52 AM »

Why is Hatch so unpopular? Has he just been a U.S. senator for too long? Or are there actual political issues?

Both?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 02:21:25 PM »

Most Utahns don't seem to have much of an issue with his actual policies, but they're just sick of him. He's promised multiple times that (whatever term he's on) will be his last term, and then he always breaks that promise. Hatch's main justification for booting out the previous senator was that the senator had been in DC too long, and Hatch has been in DC for more than twice as long than old Senator Moss.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 06:28:50 PM »

Most Utahns don't seem to have much of an issue with his actual policies, but they're just sick of him. He's promised multiple times that (whatever term he's on) will be his last term, and then he always breaks that promise. Hatch's main justification for booting out the previous senator was that the senator had been in DC too long, and Hatch has been in DC for more than twice as long than old Senator Moss.

So, he's kinda the American Merkel? Tongue

Regarding Mitt Romney again: Someone wrote in the other thread that the Romneys were the Mormon Kennedys: If instead of him his son Josh runs, would he as easily win the primary as his father?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 09:44:34 PM »

So, he's kinda the American Merkel? Tongue

Regarding Mitt Romney again: Someone wrote in the other thread that the Romneys were the Mormon Kennedys: If instead of him his son Josh runs, would he as easily win the primary as his father?
I was the one that said the Romneys were the Mormon Kennedys! Tongue

But yeah, I think Josh Romney would win as easily as Mitt. The issue is that Josh is way more interested in the 2020 gubernatorial election, and its rumored that even the Romneys are wary of treating Utah like a fiefdom. That is, they don't feel like they could get away with a Senator Romney and a Governor Romney. So if Mitt decides to run for Senate, that shuts down Josh's gubernatorial ambitions, and if Mitt stays out of the Senate race, that keeps the door open on Josh's gubernatorial ambitions.

Tagg Romney could also be interested in running for something, though probably less so than Mitt and Josh, who have openly admitted their interest.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies