Honolulu County without 1st congressional district
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:18:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Honolulu County without 1st congressional district
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Honolulu County without 1st congressional district  (Read 877 times)
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 18, 2017, 03:36:27 AM »

Is Honolulu County beyond the boundaries of the 1st congressional district a Republican stronghold?
The district itself is heavily Democratic whereas the county is waaay more GOP-friendly than its neighbors. Are there many Republicans "hidden" on the island that were just to blind to see?

Is it even possible that Hillary Clinton won this area in both presidential caucuses?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 04:44:41 AM »

No. In fact there are no Republican strongholds in Hawaii. The State Senate is unanimously Democratic.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 05:44:10 AM »

No. In fact there are no Republican strongholds in Hawaii. The State Senate is unanimously Democratic.

I just checked the Republican members of the Hawaii State Legislature come from and I discovered that The Hawaii Senate doesn't have any GOP members (ROFL Grin) and there are seven Republicans in the Hawaii House of Representatives - all of whom represent places in the area in question. Do you know where the one Republican sate senator from the last legislature came from?

PS: Do you know where I can get CD-level results? I wanna calculate it myself.

SamTilden2020

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 07:00:22 AM »

I just checked the Republican members of the Hawaii State Legislature come from and I discovered that The Hawaii Senate doesn't have any GOP members (ROFL Grin) and there are seven Republicans in the Hawaii House of Representatives - all of whom represent places in the area in question. Do you know where the one Republican sate senator from the last legislature came from?

PS: Do you know where I can get CD-level results? I wanna calculate it myself.

The last one was Sam Slom of the 9th district, representing "Hawaiʻi Kai, ʻAina Haina, Waiʻalae-Kahala, Diamond Head", as per wikipedia.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 12:57:45 PM »

I think Laie is marginal because it's heavily Mormon (home to BYU-Hawaii). Otherwise, as I recall, there were no McCain or Romney precincts in all of Hawaii. I doubt Trump won more than maybe a handful.

HI-01 isn't much more Democratic than the island as a whole. It was 63-30 Clinton while Honolulu County was 61-32 Clinton.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 10:07:35 PM »

I think Laie is marginal because it's heavily Mormon (home to BYU-Hawaii). Otherwise, as I recall, there were no McCain or Romney precincts in all of Hawaii. I doubt Trump won more than maybe a handful.

HI-01 isn't much more Democratic than the island as a whole. It was 63-30 Clinton while Honolulu County was 61-32 Clinton.

You'd better be careful with such assumptions.
Over 71% of Honolulu County's population lives in the 1st CD.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 10:58:48 PM »

So that means Honolulu County outside 1st CD was just 56% Clinton and 37% Trump.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 11:01:44 PM »

So that means Honolulu County outside 1st CD was just 56% Clinton and 37% Trump.

Where did you get the data from?
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 11:03:02 PM »

Where did you get the data from?
Just doing math assuming the county and CD numbers are correct.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 11:13:01 PM »

Ah, pity! I hoped I could calculate the data myself.
Especially the 2004 presidential election, the 2016 Democratic caucus and the 2014 gubernatorial election would be very interesting to analyze.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 11:51:24 PM »

Especially the 2004 presidential election, the 2016 Democratic caucus and the 2014 gubernatorial election would be very interesting to analyze.
I suggest you do those.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 11:58:04 PM »

I suggest you do those.

I'd do it if I had the district data.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2017, 06:20:04 PM »
« Edited: October 20, 2017, 06:23:09 PM by cinyc »

I suggest you do those.

I'd do it if I had the district data.

Hawaii’s election results are all available here: http://elections.hawaii.gov/election-results/

The parts of Honolulu County in the 2nd HD might be a little bit more Republican than those in the 1st, but only because Mormon-heavy Laie near BYU Hawaii tends to vote R, and parts of the exurban Wahiawa Valley (near a military base) and more suburban areas like Kaneohe and Kailua are in the district, as opposed to more urban areas near downtown Honolulu and the university at Manoa.

On the other hand, Republicans also tend to do better (by Hawaiian standards) in the richer Waikiki area near downtown, and in the Mililani exurbs, which are in the 1st. They don’t win those areas - but they usually don’t win the Kaneohe/Kailua suburbs, either. So maybe not.

In any event, the Republican congressional candidates received a greater percentage of the vote in the 1st than the Honolulu County 2nd in every election since 2010. You’d need to do a precinct level analysis to break down the President/Senate vote.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies