US fails to qualify for World Cup 2018
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:05:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  US fails to qualify for World Cup 2018
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: US fails to qualify for World Cup 2018  (Read 3643 times)
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2017, 05:19:53 AM »

It is inexcusable and mostly kills any possible interest I had in next year's World Cup. I guess if I had to root for a team, I suppose I would have to go with Mother England.

As some may have already noted, we can't say much for our men's team, but our women's team is one of the best and the current reigning World Cup Champion. The US men's team may suck, but our women's team is f-cking amazing and we should be supporting them.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2017, 12:40:21 AM »

Yeah but what if you have English ancestry... Sad

Root for England? They're qualified this year.

Eh, maybe, but I'm already pretty good at pessimism and self-loathing, I don't think I need more practice at that.

As some may have already noted, we can't say much for our men's team, but our women's team is one of the best and the current reigning World Cup Champion. The US men's team may suck, but our women's team is f-cking amazing and we should be supporting them.

This is true, and I'll definitely be eagerly watching these upcoming friendlies with South Korea!
vanguard96
United States

« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2017, 04:51:55 PM »

Imagine the panic going on with Fox and the other American sponsors. Fox spent $400 million to get the broadcasting rights for this and was planning to make this World Cup the "biggest programming event in Fox's history." That money is going down the drain. Think they'll still be showing 350 hours of soccer with no US in it?

What American citizen is actually cheering for America though? I've never met a US fan.

Even though this is obviously a joke (and the game watches for US World Cup games last time around were actually really big and fun every bar I went to!), I think every single one of my friends cheers for an "ancestral" European team if/when the US gets eliminated, LOL.

Really, always the ancestral teams? No non-white friends? No Messi or Brazil lovers?

I think people generally think it's cooler to cheer for a team they have some connection to, however small.  I am mostly German and part Swedish, so I cheer for those teams.  As for the no non-White friends, it's kind of a product of living in Iowa, LOL.  It's incredibly White.

I always try to keep at least one black friend so I can use the black friend defense.

Been searching for about a decade now.

Iowa. But your profile has Illinois. Did you move there?

Yes, born in Peoria and live in Iowa City.  My friends here still think of me as "their friend from Illinois," my whole family lives there, all of my sports teams (including college) are from IL, etc.

My wife is going to Palmer College for a chiropractic seminar next week. It's the epicenter of Gonstead Chiropractic - a field of dreams if you will for the practice she works at.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies