Sheffield University expels Christian student for expressing biblical views
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:55:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Sheffield University expels Christian student for expressing biblical views
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Was the university right to expel the student?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: Sheffield University expels Christian student for expressing biblical views  (Read 2719 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2017, 08:35:43 PM »

yeah nobody with those kinds of views should be a social worker

Does that apply to religious Muslims as well?

Of course. All liberal, all the time. Muslims are NOT exempt. No religion is.

Liberalism today, liberalism tommorow, liberalism forever.

Amen to this. That wicked student needs to pray to God for forgiveness and to open his eyes to the correct Christian viewpoint in support of LGBT equality.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2017, 05:34:57 AM »

Yes of course it is. You shouldn't be thrown from a university because you express a unpopular/bad opinion especially if its on a place like Facebook. It should be noted that this was a public college which means it has a huge amount of it/all of its funding coming from taxes from the provincial or national levels. I don't think taxes should be wasted on university's that censor expression of opinions and i bet others would agree. If it was a Private University however, it would still be morally wrong, but the university would have every legal right to do it.

and if you're training for a profession where that "unpopular/bad opinion" might mean that you can't perform all of the duties of that role and might, say, harm the way that you handle a case where you're responsible for handling and monitoring an adoption or foster placement by a same sex couple which this person clearly would not be able to do in an impartial manner.  That's the key difference between this qualification and other academic ones: this is someone outright training for a job and part of the duty of care that the university has is, as I said earlier, to make sure that inappropriate people aren't put in a position of working with and making significant important decisions on behalf of vulnerable people.

The bolded portions of your argument are doing all of the heavy lifting, despite being simple conjecture. What evidence is there that he and others like him would mistreat clients? Is there any attempt by the university to police similar Facebook posts on other issues or the other side of the debate? I and a few couples in my congregation would like to adopt children. Some have worried that they might be discriminated against due to their views on marriage. Does the university plan to expel students who post "Anyone who opposes gay marriage is an ignorant bigot!"? As things currently appear, the university, and other institutions policing of traditional views on marriage amount to a religious test in all but name.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2017, 09:05:01 AM »

I'll offer my rosary for the conversion of England tonight.

You're a Catholic?
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2017, 01:57:11 PM »

Yes. His views make him unfit to perform a job where he would have to help kids abused for being lgbtq+. You wouldn't give a medical license to someone who believes that people with cancer are "an abomination".

Yes of course it is. You shouldn't be thrown from a university because you express a unpopular/bad opinion especially if its on a place like Facebook. It should be noted that this was a public college which means it has a huge amount of it/all of its funding coming from taxes from the provincial or national levels. I don't think taxes should be wasted on university's that censor expression of opinions and i bet others would agree. If it was a Private University however, it would still be morally wrong, but the university would have every legal right to do it.

and if you're training for a profession where that "unpopular/bad opinion" might mean that you can't perform all of the duties of that role and might, say, harm the way that you handle a case where you're responsible for handling and monitoring an adoption or foster placement by a same sex couple which this person clearly would not be able to do in an impartial manner.  That's the key difference between this qualification and other academic ones: this is someone outright training for a job and part of the duty of care that the university has is, as I said earlier, to make sure that inappropriate people aren't put in a position of working with and making significant important decisions on behalf of vulnerable people.

The bolded portions of your argument are doing all of the heavy lifting, despite being simple conjecture. What evidence is there that he and others like him would mistreat clients? Is there any attempt by the university to police similar Facebook posts on other issues or the other side of the debate? I and a few couples in my congregation would like to adopt children. Some have worried that they might be discriminated against due to their views on marriage. Does the university plan to expel students who post "Anyone who opposes gay marriage is an ignorant bigot!"? As things currently appear, the university, and other institutions policing of traditional views on marriage amount to a religious test in all but name.

I wouldn't trust someone who described my very existence as an "abomination" to treat me fairly. Would you?
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2017, 01:59:44 PM »

I wouldn't trust someone who described my very existence as an "abomination" to treat me fairly. Would you?

So, if the social worker student is a left-winger, and he writes in Facebook that all right-wingers are abominations, should he be expelled in that case as well, on the grounds that he can't treat right-wingers fairly?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2017, 06:36:10 PM »

So, if the social worker student is a left-winger, and he writes in Facebook that all right-wingers are abominations, should he be expelled in that case as well, on the grounds that he can't treat right-wingers fairly?

If he honestly believes that, yes. If he was just blowing off steam, he should be reprimanded..

(Did you really expect any liberal to say otherwise?)
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2017, 03:51:04 PM »

"It will never happen, and when it does happen, you bigots will deserve it."
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2017, 09:49:00 PM »
« Edited: October 31, 2017, 09:53:01 PM by the 2018- The People v. The Pepe »

Its no different than a law student proclaiming to the world that its antisocial or unethical to be a homosexual and that it should therefore be illegal to be actively homosexual or at least it be state policy to encourage people to avoid homosexuality.

However, I would not want someone like that to represent a homosexual loved one of if possible, myself unless the work avoided politics and was about the decision at hand.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies