Republicans: we are now against spending cuts, they're unpopular and won't work (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:11:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Republicans: we are now against spending cuts, they're unpopular and won't work (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Republicans: we are now against spending cuts, they're unpopular and won't work  (Read 2996 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« on: October 19, 2017, 07:27:20 PM »

So where are all the "I vote Republican because I'm a sensible American concerned about fiscal conservatism, balanced budgets, and the deficit SmileySmileySmiley" people now?

In the Netherlands I'm afraid Tongue

Anyway, I never really supported the GOP's deficit alarmism and brutal austerity proposals anyway, but it was a hell of a lot better than their apparent new course (massive tax cuts without any offsetting spending cuts/base-broadening). Slashing food stamps or medicaid never really was necessary, social security and medicare are the main "culprits", so it's best to slow down spending on these programs (by raising the retirement age, reducing social security benefits for higher-earners and seriously looking at cutting medicare spending).

Republicans did manage to slash spending on the state level though. The US passed a lot more austerity than people think, it's just that it were the (predominantly Republican) state governments pushing for austerity instead of the federal government (which is a lot more visible I suppose).

Yes, and that's part of the reason that the post-2009 recovery was so slow and all those Midwest states that were immiserated by Republicans beginning in 2010 voted for Trump.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies