Dickinson, Texas requires those seeking Hurricane relief to be Pro-Israel
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:41:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Dickinson, Texas requires those seeking Hurricane relief to be Pro-Israel
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Dickinson, Texas requires those seeking Hurricane relief to be Pro-Israel  (Read 2929 times)
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2017, 10:54:08 PM »

I'm not sure what's more pathetic: the fact that this is happening, or the likelihood that Netanyahu would approve if he knew.
Anti-Bothsidesism
Somenamelessfool
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2017, 11:42:14 AM »

Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2017, 12:15:10 PM »

Does my refusal to purchase a Sodastream constitute a boycott of Israel?
Depends on why. I refused because it's cheaper to buy soda on sale and/or the store brand. You have to be really into gadgets or really buy into their eco-claims to consider using it.

What if I'm some hardcore Trumpian protectionist who wants to ONLY BUY AMERICAN, and therefore boycotts things made in Israel and in any other country that is not the United States?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2017, 12:27:21 PM »

I'm always struck by why Jews tend to vote so strongly Democratic when it is quite clear that Democrats are far from fond of Israel.

I remember about 10-12 years ago or so, Rush Limbaugh had a caller ask him that question. Rush said, "Because they're liberals first and Jews second."
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2017, 12:31:48 PM »

These laws were always designed to target NGOs, not private citizens. This is absurd.

*whispers* It was always going to be used to target private citizens.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2017, 12:48:38 PM »

These laws were always designed to target NGOs, not private citizens. This is absurd.

*whispers* It was always going to be used to target private citizens.

No it wasn't. That's your guys' game, not ours. The same way you're always projecting that Israel is "thiiiiiiiiis close" to doing something bad enough that would justify an attack, just like the Jews were always "thiiiiiiis close" to taking over the world/poisoning the well/etc.

Projection is the anti-semite's #1 tool.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2017, 01:25:28 PM »

Just seems like a local government trying to interpret a poorly written law. Who cares if a group or business boycotts Israel, if that bothers you don't do business with them. There is no reason to make a law over it, just more big Government GOP in action.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2017, 01:32:29 PM »

How on earth does anything like this apply to private citizens? How do I, as a private citizen, boycott Israel?

This is nonsensical and any attempt to enforce this farce will hopefully be struck down/thrown out in court

It looks like the boneheads running the local govt interpreted the state anti-BDS law, which is about businesses that participate in BDS, as something which applies to individuals.

The way this appears to be set up is that they are contracting with individuals to rebuild their own homes and businesses at government expense.  I don't know if they have to do it that way, but under this set-up they are government contractors and thus would fall under that law.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2017, 02:08:16 PM »

I'm always struck by why Jews tend to vote so strongly Democratic when it is quite clear that Democrats are far from fond of Israel.

I remember about 10-12 years ago or so, Rush Limbaugh had a caller ask him that question. Rush said, "Because they're liberals first and Jews second."

I would say it's because American Jews still remember the sentiment expressed in Niemöller's poem, "First they came ...".  By and large over the past fifty years the Republicans have almost always been about coming for some group or another. The Democrats (with the exception of the Dixiecrats that are now Republicans) have generally not been. Go farther back than that and they remember what happened as a result of Republican isolationism and nativism prior to December 7, 1941.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2017, 02:25:50 PM »

I would say it's because American Jews still remember the sentiment expressed in Niemöller's poem, "First they came ..."By and large over the past fifty years the Republicans have almost always been about coming for some group or another. The Democrats (with the exception of the Dixiecrats that are now Republicans) have generally not been. Go farther back than that and they remember what happened as a result of Republican isolationism and nativism prior to December 7, 1941.

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2017, 09:50:29 AM »

This, plus what Goldman said.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2017, 10:11:03 AM »

I'm relatively pro-Israel, but this is quite Orwellian.
Indeed. These are opinions and lives are at stake.

Question: I consider myself moderate on Israeli issues, as in I do believe that we should continue our friendship and alliance with Israel but they should be held somewhat accountable for their actions. I also believe that a compromise can and should be made with Palestine. Is that enough to prevent me from getting hurricane aid in Port Arthur?
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2017, 10:16:21 AM »

Why should American Jews care about Israel? Israel is simply a country, not a religion or an ethnicity, no matter how much it pretends to be.  It can not speak for all Jews and Jews are under absolutely no obligation to show any loyalty towards it.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2017, 11:17:51 AM »

Good!
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2017, 11:20:42 AM »

Why should American Jews care about Israel? Israel is simply a country, not a religion or an ethnicity, no matter how much it pretends to be.  It can not speak for all Jews and Jews are under absolutely no obligation to show any loyalty towards it.

Right. If someone set up a white ethostate somewhere I wouldn't feel compelled to defend them bulldozing peace activists or anything like that.

I mean, Naso totally would so I can get the confusion.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2017, 11:46:12 AM »

Because people keep trying to kill us, and we like to have a place we can flee to if we need to - or that can threaten said countries with actual consequences if they intend to seal their borders and wipe us out rather than allow us to leave.
elcorazon

« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2017, 11:54:33 AM »

not a fan of tying that type of aid to a specific policy position
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2017, 12:16:09 PM »

not a fan of tying that type of aid to a specific policy position

It was never supposed to. The point of these laws to stop government grants going to organizations that work to undermine our ally. This is just garbage virtue signaling by a far-right city government at the worst possible time.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2017, 12:47:22 PM »

Great news!
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2017, 01:20:24 PM »

As always David, I hope bad things happen to you in your life.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2017, 01:37:16 PM »

Some rando on the internet more than 10.000 km away from me doesn't like me. Okay.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2017, 01:57:37 PM »

Some rando on the internet more than 10.000 km away from me doesn't like me. Okay.

I assume you don't spout your "Let the people who care about Palestinians die in a hurricane" stances in real life, otherwise it's more than some rando on the internet who hopes you get hit by a bus.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2017, 02:17:03 PM »

Assuming that you're serious, how can you possibly justify people being denied aid after a natural disaster for the mere crime of their views on foreign policy?

I mean, I don't go quite as far as David does, but if you can't understand Jewish bitterness towards those who STILL deny our right to self-determination, no one's going to convince you.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2017, 02:29:41 PM »

Assuming that you're serious, how can you possibly justify people being denied aid after a natural disaster for the mere crime of their views on foreign policy?
There are enough decent people in need of aid. Let's help them first. I do not have compassion with those who want my fellow Jews in Israel to die.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2017, 02:35:03 PM »

There are enough decent people in need of aid. Let's help them first. I do not have compassion with those who want my fellow Jews in Israel to die.

If you are imposing a political test in exchange for aid, you are horrible on human rights. Most of the people seeking aid probably don't even have much of an opinion on Israel.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies