Cub Scout questions legislator, gets booted from troop
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:52:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Cub Scout questions legislator, gets booted from troop
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cub Scout questions legislator, gets booted from troop  (Read 1145 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 20, 2017, 04:10:16 PM »
« edited: October 20, 2017, 08:03:07 PM by Generally Useless »

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/10/18/cub-scout-kicked-out-questioned-senator-vicki-marble/

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 04:19:01 PM »
« Edited: October 20, 2017, 04:43:50 PM by Fuzzy Bear »

The above-quote is not exactly what Sen. Marble said.  On the other hand, what she did say reflected a level of tone-deafness which is the stuff of legends, and I'm not sure that the media said she said that, either.  The video is pretty clear.  I won't say she's a racist.  I will say she's an idiot.

I note that he wasn't booted from his Pack, only from his Den.  That suggests that he's still part of the Pack, but it was probably his Den Leader that invited Sen. Marble to the Cub Scout Pack, presumably for a powder puff evening.

Now I will say this:  If I had asked a public official a question like that as a Cub Scout, my mother would have been mortified, and would have disciplined me.  My mother was a liberal Democrat, and a member of Common Cause, but she would not have approved of me asking someone a "When did you stop beating your wife?" question to embarrass them.  And Ames, the young Cub Scout, ought to learn that the only reason these questions are asked is to embarrass people unnecessarily.  The incident in question occurred in 2013, four (4) years ago.  Would he want his peers to listen to a question as to whether or not he peed the bed since Trump became President?  It's fine to question your public representatives, and to ask them tough questions, but it's not right to plan was to embarrass them.  

I would also point out the Cub Scout Law of the Pack:

Do you think young Ames came up short on the last point?  If he's looking ahead to Boy Scouts, the fifth point of the Scout law is that a Scout is Courteous.  Does questioning of this kind in this setting give good will?  Is is courteous?  Yes, I know "A Scout is Brave", but how much courage does it take to be a snotty?  And if HIS mother signed off on this, shame on her.

I have a funny idea that our young folks can grow up to be more gracious than today's politicians.  Maybe I'm aiming high.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 05:02:29 PM »

FF Cub Scout. Ames Mayfield did great and should find a worthy den to join up with.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 06:49:48 PM »

FF Cub Scout. Ames Mayfield did great and should find a worthy den to join up with.

Being an FF means understanding what Freedom you're fighting for.

Embarrassing a local pol for a 4 year old foot-in-mouth statement isn't the stuff REAL FFs are made of.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 06:56:38 PM »

Put a sock in it you snowflake. It’s an entirely fair question to ask. Undue civility to people who don’t deserve it is antithetical to the whole idea of politics.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 07:28:54 PM »

A scout is ... friendly, courteous, kind, obedient ...
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 07:54:28 PM »

Embarrassing a local pol for a 4 year old foot-in-mouth statement isn't the stuff REAL FFs are made of.

A fifth grader spoke out against their elected rep. His question related to what this particular politician was infamous for. I see no fault here.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 07:59:26 PM »

A fifth grader spoke out against their elected rep. His question related to what this particular politician was infamous for. I see no fault here.

I don't either.  When did it become a problem in this country to question those with power or authority?
AtorBoltox

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 09:14:25 PM »

I don't either.  When did it become a problem in this country to question those with power or authority?
When you can't dispute what someone is saying you just dispute the tone
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2017, 09:24:28 PM »

If a cub scout asked invited guest michelle obama when she decided to transition from male to female, would that just be questioning authority?
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2017, 10:15:33 PM »

Why? I jokingly accused my den leader of alcoholism and I wasn’t kicked out.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2017, 10:16:00 PM »

If a cub scout asked invited guest michelle obama when she decided to transition from male to female, would that just be questioning authority?

No, in fact, that's being a total dick. This cub scout was politely asking his congressman a question regarding politics and was booted. Asking Michelle Obama about transitioning (Which is obviously false) Is just completely rude and demeaning.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2017, 10:43:41 PM »

No, in fact, that's being a total dick. This cub scout was politely asking his congressman a question regarding politics and was booted. Asking Michelle Obama about transitioning (Which is obviously false) Is just completely rude and demeaning.

The question wasn't about "politics", or about any current issue.  It was about a 4 year old statement that was well-litigated.  Given that the kid was 4 years old and was only a Cub Scout (no older than 10 years old), I find it hard to believe that this kid wasn't coached by parents with a political bias.  The issue was open and shut; if folks feel the need to discuss what's on that tape 4 years later, then I would suggest that there is a real problem here.

What if the kid asked Hillary Clinton why she publicly discredited Juanita Broaddrick and Kathleen Willey, calling them nuts and sluts?  That's not quite what Hillary did, but what this kid said isn't quite what the Senator said, either.  Is this how we're going to build a civil discourse; teaching kids to find embarrassing questions to ask their public officials?

I'm not signing off on the Den Leader's response, although if the incident produced that level of resentment from the Den Leader, the kid might do well somewhere else. 
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2017, 01:45:25 AM »

Put a sock in it you snowflake. It’s an entirely fair question to ask. Undue civility to people who don’t deserve it is antithetical to the whole idea of politics.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2017, 01:52:56 AM »

Tell the boy to write "I wilk not expose the hate of the community's leaders" 100 times!
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2017, 07:14:59 AM »

FuzzyBear cares a lot about civility, respect and dignity. That's why he supports Donald Trump.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2017, 01:43:22 AM »

Are you the foil to Socrates in some Platonic dialogue?
AtorBoltox

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2017, 01:45:00 AM »

Are you the foil to Socrates in some Platonic dialogue?
So Fuzzy Bear is Socrates? Oh boy
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2017, 02:16:45 AM »

If anyone looks like they're transitioning, it's the racist Colorado lawmaker.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies