How many senators served until they were at least 90? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:01:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  How many senators served until they were at least 90? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How many senators served until they were at least 90?  (Read 1290 times)
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« on: October 14, 2019, 12:55:21 AM »

Two Supreme Court Justices who stayed in office until 90 were Oliver Wendell Holmes and John Paul Stevens.

But Senators? It appears to me that only Carl Hayden and Robert Byrd have the distinction of being Senators past their 90th birthday.

This is demonstrably false. Theodore Green of Rhode Island was 93 when he left office in 1961, and of course, Strom Thurmond served until age 100, dying just four months after he left office in June 2003.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 06:32:25 PM »

Two Supreme Court Justices who stayed in office until 90 were Oliver Wendell Holmes and John Paul Stevens.

But Senators? It appears to me that only Carl Hayden and Robert Byrd have the distinction of being Senators past their 90th birthday.

This is demonstrably false. Theodore Green of Rhode Island was 93 when he left office in 1961, and of course, Strom Thurmond served until age 100, dying just four months after he left office in June 2003.

A nicer way to term this would've been "Also, Theodore Green of Rhode Island was 93 when he left office in 1961, and as the OP mentioned, Strom Thurmond served until age 100, dying just four months after he left office in June 2003."
But what can I expect, this is Atlas Tongue

Who are you to be concerned about civility?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies