What does the red mean?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:59:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What does the red mean?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What does the red mean?  (Read 463 times)
v0031
China
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 20, 2017, 09:05:58 PM »
« edited: October 20, 2017, 09:42:44 PM by v0031 »

America's eighth oldest person celebrates 112th birthday
The eighth oldest living person in the United States celebrated her 112th birthday with a glass of beer on Sunday.
Lucy Treccasse was born in 1905 and lived through the Prohibition when her family brewed five-gallon crocks of beer and decided to spend her birthday splitting a beer with a friend.
"She and I split one... I still like beer," the centenarian said.
Treccasse told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette her favorite beer is Rolling Rock and her favorite color is pink, earning her the nickname "Pink Lady of Concordia."
While she does enjoy the occasional beer, Treccasse said a different beverage choice helped contribute to her longevity.
"Well, I never drink coffee," she said. "I drink milk."
Treccase graduated first in her class at Butler High School and worked for five years as a secretary for Standard Steel Car Co.
She married her husband Joseph Treccase in 1928 and he died in 1980 after the couple had been married for 52 years.
Treccase and her husband had no children, but she celebrated her birthday with 60 friends and relatives and said she was content with their company.
"Oh I don't know what it would be," she said when asked what she would want for her birthday. "I have everything. I've been coast to coast, clear to California and back, and I don't want anything."
https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2017/10/20/Americas-eighth-oldest-person-celebrates-112th-birthday/2061
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 10:32:17 PM »

Communism
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 08:39:26 AM »

The phrase "the occasional beer" means a beer that is had only occasionally, that is to say that the person does drink beer, but not regularly.

The phrase "clear to California and back", gives a specific example of how she has traveled from coast to coast. The word "clear" is a colloquial usage that could be replaced by "all the way", that the whole phrase could be written slightly longer as "all the way to California and back home". She is being interviewed by a Pittsburgh newspaper, which though is not exactly on the East Coast is close enough that most readers would assume that she has traveled that far. The readers would not always assume she'd been to the much farther West Coast.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 01:41:36 PM »

Damn commies don't drink muh 'Murican beer!
v0031
China
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 06:00:16 AM »

A retired professional ballroom dancer in Tennessee set a world record by running an entire marathon in high heels.
Irene Sewell shared photos of herself following the Guinness World Record-breaking performance as she managed to complete the 26.2-mile race in the high-heeled shoes.
"Well world, I DID IT. I'm still in shock, but it really happened," she wrote this week. "I ran a marathon today in high heels and set a Guinness World Record with two minutes to spare!"
Sewell told reporters she was inspired by the story of a British woman's quest to become the world's fastest marathon runner in heels.
"She ultimately didn't get the record. So, I was just reading about her and I thought man, with my dancing background and now running background," she said.
Sewell brought six pairs of the 3-inch stilettos ranging from size seven and a half to nine along with blister band-aids, in-soles and calf sleeves.
To top the previous record Sewell was required to complete the race in under seven and a half hours equaling a 17-minute mile pace.
"That's kind of the moment that I run for," Sewell said.
Sewell's experience as a ballroom dancer made her comfortable moving in high heels, but her podiatrist advised against training in the dress shoes.
She instead opted for "normal training for a marathon, and then throw in the high heels every now and then."
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 07:52:18 AM »

A retired professional ballroom dancer in Tennessee set a world record by running an entire marathon in high heels.
Irene Sewell shared photos of herself following the Guinness World Record-breaking performance as she managed to complete the 26.2-mile race in the high-heeled shoes.
"Well world, I DID IT. I'm still in shock, but it really happened," she wrote this week. "I ran a marathon today in high heels and set a Guinness World Record with two minutes to spare!"
Sewell told reporters she was inspired by the story of a British woman's quest to become the world's fastest marathon runner in heels.
"She ultimately didn't get the record. So, I was just reading about her and I thought man, with my dancing background and now running background," she said.
Sewell brought six pairs of the 3-inch stilettos ranging from size seven and a half to nine along with blister band-aids, in-soles and calf sleeves.
To top the previous record Sewell was required to complete the race in under seven and a half hours equaling a 17-minute mile pace.
Sewell's experience as a ballroom dancer made her comfortable moving in high heels, but her podiatrist advised against training in the dress shoes.
She instead opted for "normal training for a marathon, and then throw in the high heels every now and then."

In this context it's a word used as an exclamation for emphasis. The runner could have used the word wow and the sentence would mean the same.
v0031
China
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 12:28:12 AM »
« Edited: October 23, 2017, 12:36:24 AM by v0031 »

A retired professional dancer in Tennessee set a world record by running the whole marathon in high heels.
To top the previous record Sewell was required to complete the race in seven and a half hours equaling a 17-minute mile pace.

It's simple in grammar but difficult in meaning. So I don't know what it tells.
dax00

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 02:16:07 AM »

A retired professional dancer in Tennessee set a world record by running the whole marathon in high heels.
To top the previous record Sewell was required to complete the race in seven and a half hours equaling a 17-minute mile pace.

It's simple in grammar but difficult in meaning. So I don't know what it tells.
The woman that Sewell read about attempted to break the world record, but she failed. Sewell considered her own abilities as a dancer and runner, figuring it would be possible to break the world record herself.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies