Opinion of the Oct. 15, 2017 Austrian election results ?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:01:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of the Oct. 15, 2017 Austrian election results ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Huh
Approve

Neutral/Let's wait and see

Disapprove

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: Opinion of the Oct. 15, 2017 Austrian election results ?  (Read 520 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 21, 2017, 02:03:14 AM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austrian_legislative_election,_2017#Final_results

I approve of the fact that the SPÖ did not as bad as projected by the pre-election polls and actually improved by 0.1% relative to 2013 and received 100.000 votes more than last time.

... which is a result of rising turnout (exactly 80%) and up by 5%, the highest since 2002, which I also applaud.

---

On the other hand, the next government will likely be a Conservative-Nationalist one with ÖVP-FPÖ and certain backing of the neo-liberal/center-right NEOS party.

I guess they have learned from their mistakes between 2000-2006 and ÖVP-FPÖ will be more like the current state government in Upper Austria (also ÖVP/FPÖ), which focuses on the economy and reducing debts and which slashed the welfare payments for economic migrants.

I also approve of the fact that the Green Party was kicked out of parliament in favour of Peter Pilz's List.

Still voted "neutral" (because I need to see what ÖVP-FPÖ does), but I tend to slightly approve of the election results in general because of the messages it sent.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 02:11:27 AM »

Neutral. It wasn't as bad as I expected, with the SPÖ overperforming, but a government that includes the horrid FPÖ is certainly not something I approve of, and I dislike the absence of the Green Party from the Parliament.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 02:24:41 AM »

Neutral. It wasn't as bad as I expected, with the SPÖ overperforming, but a government that includes the horrid FPÖ is certainly not something I approve of, and I dislike the absence of the Green Party from the Parliament.

I'm also no fan of the FPÖ in government in general, but I guess at some point they also need to take governing responsibility instead of just gaining votes in every election because of the dissatisfied in the country.

Still, in hindsight, the Kern-cabinet - which is in office since 1.5 years now - will likely be seen as a very good government actually ... if it weren't for the constant bickering between SPÖ and ÖVP officials like an old couple in a love/hate relationship and in which one constantly wants to poison the other. The people in place, the Chancellor, the Health Minister, the Defense Minister etc. are all competent people (excl. Sobotka from the ÖVP). The economy is moving in the right direction, debt is going down.

But even if Kern was steering the ship in the right direction, the impression of voters was that a change was badly needed. They mostly blamed SPÖ and Greens for the uncontrolled mass-immigration in 2015/16, the rapes and killings committed by Muslim immigrants and the exploitation of the welfare system by illegal, economic immigrants. A system which was built by our hard-working parents and grandparents. So, the message that voters sent in the election was clear: 60% backed the FPÖ's message, which the ÖVP adopted in the campaign. And the Greens paid the heavy price for their naive conduct over the past 3 years ...
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 06:01:09 AM »

Approve
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 06:14:29 AM »

Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 02:20:58 PM »

I mean, my ideal government was SPÖ-ÖVP-NEOS or SPÖ-NEOS-PILZ-GREEN, so not great, but it’s better than I expected. Voted neutral.
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 09:04:55 PM »

Approve, since the Freedom Party will join the government.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 10:08:33 AM »

Approve, since the Freedom Party will join the government.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies