S16: Occupational Licensing Reform Act (Statute)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:32:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S16: Occupational Licensing Reform Act (Statute)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: S16: Occupational Licensing Reform Act (Statute)  (Read 716 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 21, 2017, 06:58:50 AM »
« edited: November 01, 2017, 10:08:05 PM by Southern Speaker/National Archivist TimTurner »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Mr. Reactionary
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 09:00:53 AM »

So this is just a sample of some of the jobs that some states require extensive occupational licensing and training for. That serves as a barrier to entry to a lot of poor workers who might otherwise be able to find a job or start a business. And to clarify, this is directed at specific occupational licenses, not general business licenses which apply to any occupation. It also does not prevent localities from regulating safety and sanitary conditions.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 01:22:26 PM »

This is sensible legislation.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 07:46:04 AM »

Would such removing of licenses of the above occupations impede the effectiveness of their abilities to carry out their jobs?  I would like to make sure that not requiring licenses will not result in non-properly trained employees.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 05:55:22 PM »

Would such removing of licenses of the above occupations impede the effectiveness of their abilities to carry out their jobs?  I would like to make sure that not requiring licenses will not result in non-properly trained employees.

I would say generally no. There might be a few more inexperienced beauticians or hair braiders, but the market is usually good about sorting that out.

I'm not even sure what training coffin salespersons or interior decorators or florists and the like receive that might make them better or worse at their job. With barbers and piercings there is a hygiene aspect to the training, but local regulations on cleanliness can just as easily prescribe health code standards that function the same as paying several hundred dollars and a year of your time to a private group that teaches the exact same information. Most localities which issue building permits will still need to inspect a swimming pool regardless of whether or not the workers paid a grand to become certified. And there is a Circuit split right now on whether or not requiring people who walk and talk (tour guides) to take a standardized history test and pay to hold a license is unconstitutional under the 1st Amendment. SCOTUS recently struck down a NC law prohibiting persons without a dental hygienist license from providing teeth whitening services.

I think any decline in quality would be minimal, and it would make it easier for many of our brothers and sisters who have been left behind by the emerging economy to carve out a service job without having to wait a year or more and pay a fair amount of money to private courses just to become eligible to try and find a job. There is no need for the girl at the nail salon to have 100 hours of government mandated classes just to pursue a career.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 02:53:40 PM »

I would say generally no. There might be a few more inexperienced beauticians or hair braiders, but the market is usually good about sorting that out.

I'm not even sure what training coffin salespersons or interior decorators or florists and the like receive that might make them better or worse at their job. With barbers and piercings there is a hygiene aspect to the training, but local regulations on cleanliness can just as easily prescribe health code standards that function the same as paying several hundred dollars and a year of your time to a private group that teaches the exact same information. Most localities which issue building permits will still need to inspect a swimming pool regardless of whether or not the workers paid a grand to become certified. And there is a Circuit split right now on whether or not requiring people who walk and talk (tour guides) to take a standardized history test and pay to hold a license is unconstitutional under the 1st Amendment. SCOTUS recently struck down a NC law prohibiting persons without a dental hygienist license from providing teeth whitening services.

I think any decline in quality would be minimal, and it would make it easier for many of our brothers and sisters who have been left behind by the emerging economy to carve out a service job without having to wait a year or more and pay a fair amount of money to private courses just to become eligible to try and find a job. There is no need for the girl at the nail salon to have 100 hours of government mandated classes just to pursue a career.

Thank you for the response.

This all sounds good to me!
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 09:11:43 PM »

Cool. I Motion for a final vote.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 06:58:50 AM »

I motion for a final vote as well.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 01:16:28 AM »

Final vote. 48 hours.
[] aye
[] nay
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 01:34:07 AM »

Aye
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 05:37:35 AM »

Aye
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 09:43:17 PM »

Aye
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2017, 01:24:26 AM »

3 ayes, 0 nays. This bill passes.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2017, 09:36:03 PM »

Did Leinad ever sign this or the other bill?
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2017, 09:58:06 PM »

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies