NY-GOV 2018: Cuomo/Hochul (D) vs. Miner/Williams (D)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:23:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY-GOV 2018: Cuomo/Hochul (D) vs. Miner/Williams (D)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NY-GOV 2018: Cuomo/Hochul (D) vs. Miner/Williams (D)  (Read 780 times)
Progressive
jro660

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 21, 2017, 08:51:54 AM »

There's lots of talk on both the twitter pages of Syracuse Mayor Stephanie Miner and NYC Council Member Jumaane Williams of "uniting" possibly to form a ticket against the incumbent next year. How would they fare? Better than Teachout?
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 04:32:05 PM »

Much better than Teachout, though I imagine they’d still narrowly lose
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 09:03:38 PM »

Lose, but they would damage him enough that Tom Allon, Kathleen Jimino, Richard Hanna, Chris Jacobs, or Roslynn Mauskopf could beat him.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 09:11:47 PM »

I don't know, but I would be super stoked to vote for her and would happily canvas my butt off for her.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 09:28:49 PM »

I would if I lived in New York rather not vote for someone who has a homophobic person as their LT Governor running mate.  If she chooses someone else I would vote for her in an instant.
Cynthia
ueutyi
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -3.63

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 12:23:57 AM »

I would vote for Miner if I were able to vote. But I'm Canadian so I'll GOTV for her.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 01:29:48 AM »

You better just count yourself lucky if Cuomo is not the Democratic nominee in 2020.

NYC will keep Cuomo in the Governor's mansion.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 02:00:51 AM »

You better just count yourself lucky if Cuomo is not the Democratic nominee in 2020.

The Upstate + NYC minority support strategy could work, but it would work a lot better if NY had an open primary.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 02:35:34 AM »

The Upstate + NYC minority support strategy could work, but it would work a lot better if NY had an open primary.

Oh that's precious, you think the NY Democratic Party is not bought and paid for.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 08:51:23 AM »

Oh that's precious, you think the NY Democratic Party is not bought and paid for.

The party doesn't administer primaries. The State does. And while the dates to switch parties and register and prohibitively far from primary day, voting in NYS with the scan ballot, no ID, etc. is relatively easy. What sucks is the lack of automatic registration, early voting, etc.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2017, 12:52:59 PM »

I would if I lived in New York rather not vote for someone who has a homophobic person as their LT Governor running mate.

How is Jumaane Williams homophobic?

He apparently holds fairly conservative personal views on LGBT matters (and perhaps abortion too, though that I haven’t heard anything about) though he is committed to keeping his personal views and his political priorities separate. He would not be a vote/voice against LGBT rights, in other words.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2017, 01:05:47 PM »
« Edited: October 22, 2017, 03:01:00 PM by Skill and Chance »

They would obviously never have an open primary in NY.  Still don't underestimate how many people have had enough of Clinton/Cuomo/McAuliffe type corporate Dems.  Sure, NY is one of the best states in the country for that ideology, but the primary way this type of Dem has shored up their support is by getting left of their economic progressive opponent on social justice/identity issues.  Cuomo can't credibly do that because of his feud with DeBlasio, who is perhaps the most social justice/identity oriented elected official in the country.  Assuming DeBlasio endorses Miner, she will get over 40%.  I would expect something like Northam vs. Perriello where Cuomo prevails on the sheer strength of the >$100K household income New York Times Dems, but only by about 55/45.     
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2017, 05:58:57 PM »

The party doesn't administer primaries. The State does. And while the dates to switch parties and register and prohibitively far from primary day, voting in NYS with the scan ballot, no ID, etc. is relatively easy. What sucks is the lack of automatic registration, early voting, etc.

What does that have anything to do with the fact that the NY Democratic Party is bought and paid for?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies