should cashless stores be illegal?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:36:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  should cashless stores be illegal?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: should cashless stores be illegal?
yes

no

some third thing

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: should cashless stores be illegal?  (Read 2693 times)
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2017, 03:06:53 PM »

Yes. De facto discrimination against the elderly and the poor. I voted "some third thing" because I think it should be some sort of civil violation as opposed to a criminal one, but the gist of my opinion is "yes".

This
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2017, 04:33:03 PM »
« Edited: November 05, 2017, 04:35:33 PM by Çråbçæk »

Any civil libertarian should rightly fear the imposition of a cashless society and what it represents to individual privacy.

Stores choosing to be cashless or not isn't an "imposition". The imposition is to ban cashless stores.

The dilemma is similar to how libertarians can cope with the rise of (ostensibly) private internet companies hoarding data. In theory, a libertarian will say that it's fine for private companies to hold this data and do whatever with it; in practice the fact that private companies and the government have a symbiotic relationship means that many libertarians (the ones I speak to, anyway) are just as sceptical of Google, Facebook et al as they are of the government. They - the government and big business alike - are imposing this cashless society upon us, and if you consider yourself libertarian or sceptical of government you are foolish to consider it some sort of benign change.

(Here crytocurrencies are largely a red herring. Society is not being ushered in that direction, it's being told to normalise a world where every single transaction, journey in public transit etc can both be monitored and mined for data)
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2017, 09:10:03 AM »

It shouldn't be illegal, but I don't think it's a smart move for said business and would hurt their profits more than most would think.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2017, 06:49:41 PM »

Yes. De facto discrimination against the elderly and the poor. I voted "some third thing" because I think it should be some sort of civil violation as opposed to a criminal one, but the gist of my opinion is "yes".

This
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies