National Anthem singer takes knee at Brooklyn Nets game
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:28:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  National Anthem singer takes knee at Brooklyn Nets game
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: National Anthem singer takes knee at Brooklyn Nets game  (Read 756 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 21, 2017, 02:33:12 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/singer-takes-knee-performing-national-anthem-brooklyn-nets/story?id=50626409

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Never heard of Justine Skye, but I admire what she's trying to do...
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 02:48:58 PM »

I went to camp with her when I was younger, I think.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 03:01:09 PM »

I've never thought kneeling during anthems is an especially appropriate way to express protest. The act seems sacrilegious -- isn't kneeling itself a sign of piety (kneeling during a prayer) or subservience (kneeling to monarch)?

Now, turning your back to the singer or the flag during the anthem would be a protest since turning your back to a speaker is immensely disrespectful in any context.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 03:26:14 PM »

I've never thought kneeling during anthems is an especially appropriate way to express protest. The act seems sacrilegious -- isn't kneeling itself a sign of piety (kneeling during a prayer) or subservience (kneeling to monarch)?
I don't agree with what they are doing, but that is the point. Kneeling draws attention to their cause, and the anthem is just a platform to do it. I think that's why Kaepernick went from sitting on a bench to kneeling in the first place, because he was told that sitting was disrespectful.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 04:18:18 PM »
« Edited: October 21, 2017, 04:19:53 PM by Fuzzy Bear »

There are real issues in criminal justice to discuss here.  They are hardly one-sided, but they deserve discussion from serious people.  I am in agreement with the BLM folks on some issues, but not on others.  I'm always willing to talk to folks who have open minds, and I'm willing to be open minded on a number of issues that are presented here.  The issues involve locking people up; that's something that folks should always be willing to be introspective about.  

That being said, gestures like this are gestures I consider to be of ill-will.  These issues AREN'T the issues of the 1960s, and to insist that we are no closer to the ideal of justice and fairness in America now than we were then is both wrong, and (for some) self-serving.

Is the solution going to be a coming and reasoning together, or is it going to be one side forcing it's will on the other?  I'm old enough to remember when the American Flag was a SYMBOL of the Civil Rights movement.  I see none of THAT spirit today in the BLM movement and its sympathizers.  And I'm old enough to know the difference in spirit between Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr, and Stokely Carmichael.  One loved America; the other loathed it.  If I have common cause with America's loathers, you'll have to convince me that it's so.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 05:51:18 PM »

These issues AREN'T the issues of the 1960s

Which actually is precisely the problem. Subtler forms of racism can't be as easily combated as overt examples, and therefore require different responses.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 06:23:02 PM »

These issues AREN'T the issues of the 1960s

Which actually is precisely the problem. Subtler forms of racism can't be as easily combated as overt examples, and therefore require different responses.

Please elaborate.

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 06:07:05 AM »
« Edited: October 22, 2017, 01:19:03 PM by Alt-Grumps »

She must be fired immediately.  (Better, fascist?)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 09:52:17 AM »

There are real issues in criminal justice to discuss here.  They are hardly one-sided, but they deserve discussion from serious people.  I am in agreement with the BLM folks on some issues, but not on others.  I'm always willing to talk to folks who have open minds, and I'm willing to be open minded on a number of issues that are presented here.  The issues involve locking people up; that's something that folks should always be willing to be introspective about.  

That being said, gestures like this are gestures I consider to be of ill-will.  These issues AREN'T the issues of the 1960s, and to insist that we are no closer to the ideal of justice and fairness in America now than we were then is both wrong, and (for some) self-serving.

Is the solution going to be a coming and reasoning together, or is it going to be one side forcing it's will on the other?  I'm old enough to remember when the American Flag was a SYMBOL of the Civil Rights movement.  I see none of THAT spirit today in the BLM movement and its sympathizers.  And I'm old enough to know the difference in spirit between Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr, and Stokely Carmichael.  One loved America; the other loathed it.  If I have common cause with America's loathers, you'll have to convince me that it's so.

True, but did she truly disrespect the flag, FB? She made the gesture AFTER finishing, after all.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies