What The Heck Was The GOP Thinking To Let Ron Kind Go Unchallenged in 2016?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:14:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  What The Heck Was The GOP Thinking To Let Ron Kind Go Unchallenged in 2016?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who Would You Vote For In A Theoretical Presidential Race?
John Delaney/Ron Kind (D)
Donald Trump/Mike Pence (R)
Austin Petersen/Adam Kokesh (L)
Jill Stein/David Kulma (G)
Scott Bradley/ Sal Albanese (C/R) Combined Ticket
Other
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: What The Heck Was The GOP Thinking To Let Ron Kind Go Unchallenged in 2016?  (Read 1232 times)
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 21, 2017, 05:01:59 PM »

I mean don't get me wrong, I'm really thankful for the free handout leaving him unchallenged, but seriously, what were you thinking? Sure, it is Lean to Likely D, but seriously, leaving it uncontested, that's like Texdem level apathy.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 05:04:06 PM »

I can't fathom why. They have a decent bench in the area...
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 07:21:04 PM »

Kind would be wise to run for Senate in the open seat race in 2022 when redistricting comes. His district will probably be more Republican post redistricting. I mean he's sitting on like $3 million too, so why would he choose to stay in the House for a tough race every two years?

That's assuming Scott Walker gets reelected, which I'm not sure he can under a Republican President.  If Dems have a seat at the redistricting table, Kind's seat will be protected.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 08:05:55 PM »
« Edited: October 21, 2017, 08:14:37 PM by Mr.Phips »

Kind would be wise to run for Senate in the open seat race in 2022 when redistricting comes. His district will probably be more Republican post redistricting. I mean he's sitting on like $3 million too, so why would he choose to stay in the House for a tough race every two years?

That's assuming Scott Walker gets reelected, which I'm not sure he can under a Republican President.  If Dems have a seat at the redistricting table, Kind's seat will be protected.

Not really. Kind's seat now was designed as a D vote sink believe it or not. The only way it can get more Democratic is to split up the 2nd and that'd be ugly as hell. I was actually assuming a split state government with a Democratic Governor, but I doubt it matters much either way. Kind's seat will only get harder for Democrats to hold on to, so he's better off going for broke on an open Senate seat, which might actually be easier for him in 2022 than reelection to the House

It was designed to be a D vote sink in order to make the 7th more Republican.  Making the 3rd more Republican would again make the 7th more Dem, likely to the point where it was an Obama district in 2012.  We also have to consider what a fair redistricting would do to Paul Ryan's district, but that's a completely different topic in and of itself.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 04:48:46 PM »

He still would've won look at Cheri Bustos her and Kind's district are very similar and she managed to pull out a 21 point win.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 06:41:41 PM »

He still would've won look at Cheri Bustos her and Kind's district are very similar and she managed to pull out a 21 point win.

Still worth at least a sacrificial lamb at the very least.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 06:51:39 AM »

There comes a point where you've been around long enough that they figure out to just leave you alone. See Tim Walz.
SamTilden2020

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 07:03:41 AM »

TBH no one knew Trump would win here, in addition to above reasoning.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 07:41:34 AM »

Everyone thought Kind was safe and on top of that, it's still far too early to say whether the huge swing to the Republican party among Midwestern whites (especially WWC voters) is part of a 1) a long-term realignment, 2) a one cycle fluke, 3) a phenomenon which only occurred because Trump himself was on the ballot, or 4) some combination of 2 and 3.  We really won't know until after 2018 at the earliest and possibly not until after 2020.  One wild swing in a batsh!t crazy election cycle does not a realignment make. 

For example, I actually think Democrats are slightly favored to hold MN-1 (especially if Hagedorn is the Republican nominee), am pretty confident that Rod Blum will lose in 2018 (it might not even be close, tbh), and believe that Mike Bost is already in a pure toss-up race down in IL-12.  I could go on, but you get the idea.  Maybe 2016 was a realignment, but we don't know yet since it was just one data point.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies