Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 18, 2018, 05:11:20 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  About this Site
| |-+  The Atlas
| | |-+  Petition to ban all necroposters on the spot
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Petition to ban all necroposters on the spot  (Read 608 times)
diptheriadan
YaBB God

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2017, 05:49:43 pm »
Ignore

I'm tired of people dragging up decade old obscure threads. We already have enough stupid sh**t getting posted, we don't need a recycling of the old crap.

x diptheriadan
Solid4096
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 06:13:08 pm »
Ignore

I dislike necroposting but I disagree with the idea that it should be a bannable offense.

I never use toss ups.

Current predictions
NewYorkExpress
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 06:52:59 pm »
Ignore

The only stupid Sh*t I see getting posted is in the 2020 board. That board is a cesspool.

Scott🌲
Ascott
YaBB God
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.43

P P
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 09:50:42 pm »
Ignore

Oppose.  Some threads are really interesting to look at five, ten, twelve years after they were posted.

For example, who doesn't love looking back at some right-wing Libertas posts?

Nichlemn
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 12:35:50 am »
Ignore

It should be covered under existing spam rules. Although I would prefer necros to have some identifiable purpose, I don't see them as inherently worse than other forms of bad posting.

People's Speaker North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 05:21:27 am »
Ignore

Oppose.  Some threads are really interesting to look at five, ten, twelve years after they were posted.

For example, who doesn't love looking back at some right-wing Libertas posts?

Or this guy's posts.

People's Speaker of the Atlasian House of Representatives

Southern Deputy Speaker/National Archivist TimTurner
TimTurner
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 05:27:23 am »
Ignore

Oppose.  Some threads are really interesting to look at five, ten, twelve years after they were posted.

Vote Lib Dem on May 7 - keep Clegg as deputy PM

http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=244197.0
Different states!
muon2
Modadmin
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 07:42:06 am »
Ignore

Sometimes a good thread goes quiet for a while, but is well worth keeping alive when interest resumes. There are also other tools to avoid blatant necroposting when it's not just the case of a dormant thread get active again. The best tool is to start a new thread with a link to the old thread by url tag or quote from a specific post. This is usually the best way when one wants to look at an old discussion for amusement. If a necropost turns into a legit thread on its own, moderators have the power to split threads so that the new content can have its own thread and the necro parts can stay in the past.

shua
YaBB God
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: -4.52

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 11:04:12 am »
Ignore

Sometimes a good thread goes quiet for a while, but is well worth keeping alive when interest resumes. There are also other tools to avoid blatant necroposting when it's not just the case of a dormant thread get active again. The best tool is to start a new thread with a link to the old thread by url tag or quote from a specific post. This is usually the best way when one wants to look at an old discussion for amusement. If a necropost turns into a legit thread on its own, moderators have the power to split threads so that the new content can have its own thread and the necro parts can stay in the past.

you make it sound like the exorcism of some ancient demon called a "necropost."
"Begone and go back to the past from whence you came!"  👻
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 11:06:10 am by shua »Logged

"Darkness makes a great canvas" - unidentified man
So dear to our hearts is our General's glorious name
Kalwejt
YaBB God
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 11:41:19 am »
Ignore

Most of necroposts are annoying and pointless spam, but there are exceptions. It's a case to case basis matter. And before you say "moderate hero answer" I'm cracking down very hard on useless necropsts on my boards Tongue

Beside, much worse offenders are not simply "banned on the spot", so it would be rather inconsistent, wouldn't it?

MY PRESIDENT IS ALIVETERNAL
muon2
Modadmin
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2017, 12:57:27 pm »
Ignore

It is late Oct, so one must beware of dark spirits. Wink

People's Speaker North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2017, 02:53:05 pm »
Ignore

It is late Oct, so one must beware of dark spirits. Wink

Well your signature does kind of look like a demonic eye opening. Wink

People's Speaker of the Atlasian House of Representatives

Ἅιδης
Hades
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2017, 07:53:45 pm »
Ignore

I wanted to open a thread about if Katy Perry is hot. But before doing so, I searched for an already existing thread containing that topic - and such a thread existed. Thus, I "bumped" it instead of making a new one.
What ought I have done?

muon2
Modadmin
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2017, 10:01:38 pm »
Ignore

I wanted to open a thread about if Katy Perry is hot. But before doing so, I searched for an already existing thread containing that topic - and such a thread existed. Thus, I "bumped" it instead of making a new one.
What ought I have done?

The OP was from late 2008 and ran active through early 2009. It came back for a few posts in Dec 2011. So it has a history of bouncing back. Bumping is fair, but I would have started a new thread with a link to the old one to draw the comparison to the past. However, it's more about what the board moderators would prefer than what I would do.

NewYorkExpress
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2017, 10:01:59 pm »
Ignore

What ought I have done?

IMO, you should have ignored the existing thread and not posted anything. Asking if someone is "hot" is basically sexual harassment.

Virginia
Virginia C
Moderators
YaBB God
Antarctica

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2017, 10:09:14 pm »
Ignore

IMO, you should have ignored the existing thread and not posted anything. Asking if someone is "hot" is basically sexual harassment.

Huh

NewYorkExpress
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2017, 10:12:08 pm »
Ignore

Huh

It's like asking a woman you've never met on a date. You don't do it.

Of course it's only my opinion. He's free to do as he wishes.

Ἅιδης
Hades
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2017, 10:49:07 pm »
Ignore

The OP was from late 2008 and ran active through early 2009. It came back for a few posts in Dec 2011. So it has a history of bouncing back. Bumping is fair, but I would have started a new thread with a link to the old one to draw the comparison to the past. However, it's more about what the board moderators would prefer than what I would do.

In hindsight it would have been more logical to start a new thread as she and Miley Cyrus have switch looks and many people who used to find her "hot" are now turned off by her.

shua
YaBB God
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: -4.52

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2017, 01:43:38 am »
Ignore

What ought I have done?

Neither.

"Darkness makes a great canvas" - unidentified man
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2017, 05:02:20 am »
Ignore

What ought I have done?

asking a group of people if somebody you know is hot, in front of them, could and usually would be harassment (though clearly not always), but asking a message board if a famous person is hot is always ok (assuming the message board is cool with it....we probably shouldn't be, but whatever).

Was that wrong? Should I have not done that? I tell you, I gotta plead ignorance on this thing because if anyone had said anything to me at all when I first started here that that sort of thing was frowned upon, you know, ‘cause I've worked in a lot of offices and I tell you people do that all the time.
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2017, 10:33:22 am »
Ignore

This went from necroposting to debating about whether we can ask if people are hot, amazing.

Anyway ban people who necropost immediately.

X Not_Madigan

Atlas Discord:  https://discord.gg/CSkybsh

Home is Worth Fighting For, Rauner/Sanguinetti 2018!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout