Kentucky Bend
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:45:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Kentucky Bend
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What ought to be done with the Kentucky Bend?
Keep it as is.
Give it to Missouri.
Give it to Tennessee.
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Kentucky Bend  (Read 1216 times)
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 21, 2017, 10:42:13 PM »

There are 18 people are living in this exclave belonging to Fulton County, Kentucky.

muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 07:31:18 AM »

Is it any worse than the situation for the 14 people living in Kaskaskia, IL?

Or the 3785 people living in Carter Lake, IA?

There are many isolated pockets of states and counties due to meandering rivers. Should we adjust lines whenever a river naturally changes course? Should we force a river to never make natural changes in its path so that the situation can't arise? Or should we accept that nature doesn't follow the political lines of humans?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 07:39:55 AM »

In real estate law, river accretions move parcel boundaries, avulsions do not. That is probably the way it should be for state lines too. When a river avulses, to move the administration of the land affected into another state, would presumably be administratively inconvenient.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 08:47:43 AM »

Pretty sure Baarle-Hertog wins for downright "what the hell is going on?" when it comes to borders.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 10:07:04 AM »

Pretty sure Baarle-Hertog wins for downright "what the hell is going on?" when it comes to borders.

You find this border unusual? It kind of reminds me of a Rorschach test of the ideological cohesion of the Pub party.

photo sharing
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 11:42:07 AM »

In real estate law, river accretions move parcel boundaries, avulsions do not. That is probably the way it should be for state lines too. When a river avulses, to move the administration of the land affected into another state, would presumably be administratively inconvenient.

Kentucky Bend seems to have always been drawn that way, though. So your accretion/avulsion rule wouldn’t have mattered there.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 07:05:03 PM »

You find this border unusual? It kind of reminds me of a Rorschach test of the ideological cohesion of the Pub party.

photo sharing

The border between India and Bangladesh is worse - and used to be even worse:
Dahala Khagrabari was one of the 106 Indian exclaves within Bangladesh - and the only third-order enclave of the world, until it ceded to Bangladesh on 1 August 2015.

America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 07:38:43 PM »

I mean, the Missouri-Tennessee/Kentucky Border is the Mississippi River, and the Kentucky-Tennessee Border is 36-30N.

Geography makes it Kentucky.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 10:52:38 PM »

I think we should resolve all these disputes, by holding a referendum. NW Angle, Minnesota and Point Roberts, WA would have a choice whether to join Canada or remain American. Kentucky Bend, Carter Lake IA and other strange borders would have a choice whether to remain Kentucky/Iowa/etc or join Tennessee/Nebraska/etc.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 05:36:08 PM »

The whole NH-Canada border is horrible. The border is a tiny river called Hall's Stream and as is common with rivers it's changed its course a lot. There are now pieces of Quebec trapped in NH and pieces of NH trapped in Quebec. I don't think any of them are populated but I went to one of them whole hunting once so I can say I "invaded Canada"
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 09:22:45 PM »

The whole NH-Canada border is horrible. The border is a tiny river called Hall's Stream and as is common with rivers it's changed its course a lot. There are now pieces of Quebec trapped in NH and pieces of NH trapped in Quebec. I don't think any of them are populated but I went to one of them whole hunting once so I can say I "invaded Canada"

The Canadian part is somewhat populated, but the US side is pretty much all just empty forest except a tiny little farm area in the west.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2017, 10:28:03 PM »

The Canadian part is somewhat populated, but the US side is pretty much all just empty forest except a tiny little farm area in the west.
I just looked at it on Google Earth. There are a couple farms on the Canadian side but nothing else.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 10:44:39 PM »

Kentucky Bend seems to have always been drawn that way, though. So your accretion/avulsion rule wouldn’t have mattered there.

Yeah, I thought it was due to a surveying error.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2017, 11:07:44 PM »

I just looked at it on Google Earth. There are a couple farms on the Canadian side but nothing else.

Yeah this is the one I went to. The Blue line is the stream and the yellow line is the International Border. I was on the east side of the river, but technically I was in Canada
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies