HB 1164: Deregistration Waiting Period Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:32:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 1164: Deregistration Waiting Period Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: HB 1164: Deregistration Waiting Period Act (Passed)  (Read 1886 times)
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2017, 02:30:15 PM »

AYE
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2017, 11:24:15 PM »

AYE
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2017, 03:21:14 AM »

If this law is passed, someone who deregistered fice days before an election can vote but would need to declare to have a change of mind ? But the vote is not valid if you say nothing in the registration thread. Is the vote valid if someone declares to reverse derigistration even after the election has begun.

The deregistration takes effect one week after its declare. I think there is a tirthy day period before you can re-register. That makes the deregistration period 37 days no? By having the waiting period you are basically increasing the deregistration period since declaration. 

The voter would be treated as a registered voter until the deregistration takes effect. It isn't retroactive to the date of the request and my amendment actually further clarified that. Since it states as a consequence of deregistration, "removal from the rolls". That means the person will remain on the rolls into the end of the cooling off period, at which point, if they don't say anything, their deregistration is effective and they are removed from the rolls.

As for 37 days, at present I don't think such is in statute, but my brain might be failing me here. If there is such a 30 day limit, that 30 days would start from the effective date of their registration, which is seven days after putting in the request. So it doesn't length the time to re-register in that hypothetical. Since the person is not deregistered in that first 7 days, anyway.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2017, 03:22:33 AM »

AYE
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2017, 06:25:06 AM »

AYE!
Former Senator Haslam2020
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2017, 06:30:30 AM »

Aye!!
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2017, 07:35:49 AM »

Aye
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2017, 11:49:02 AM »

Aye
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2017, 05:34:53 PM »

If this law is passed, someone who deregistered fice days before an election can vote but would need to declare to have a change of mind ? But the vote is not valid if you say nothing in the registration thread. Is the vote valid if someone declares to reverse derigistration even after the election has begun.

The deregistration takes effect one week after its declare. I think there is a tirthy day period before you can re-register. That makes the deregistration period 37 days no? By having the waiting period you are basically increasing the deregistration period since declaration. 

The voter would be treated as a registered voter until the deregistration takes effect. It isn't retroactive to the date of the request and my amendment actually further clarified that. Since it states as a consequence of deregistration, "removal from the rolls". That means the person will remain on the rolls into the end of the cooling off period, at which point, if they don't say anything, their deregistration is effective and they are removed from the rolls.

As for 37 days, at present I don't think such is in statute, but my brain might be failing me here. If there is such a 30 day limit, that 30 days would start from the effective date of their registration, which is seven days after putting in the request. So it doesn't length the time to re-register in that hypothetical. Since the person is not deregistered in that first 7 days, anyway.

I thought the citizen had to withdraw the request in the seven days. So a citizen post a deregistration "notice" but if the person hold an office it doesn't becomes vacant for seven days and the citizen can vote within the seven days. A citizen can deregister on a Monday and vote in an election the following Friday without taking any other action.

I'm ok with giving someone a couple of days to change their mind but making the deregistration effective a week later might expose people who decided to leave to pesky campaign pms if there is an election. 
Pessimistic Antineutrino
Pessimistic Antineutrino
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2017, 09:47:52 PM »

Aye
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2017, 01:03:21 AM »

This bill has enough votes to pass. Representatives have 24 hours to change their votes.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2017, 06:07:45 PM »

This bill has passed the House with amendment and will be returned to the Senate.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

People's Regional Senate
Passed 4-0 in the Atlasian Senate assembled
Be it resolved, X President pro tempore

As Amended:
Atlasian People's House of Representatives
Passed 8-0-1, in the Atlasian House Assembled,

[/quote]
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2017, 08:19:47 PM »

I thought the citizen had to withdraw the request in the seven days. So a citizen post a deregistration "notice" but if the person hold an office it doesn't becomes vacant for seven days and the citizen can vote within the seven days. A citizen can deregister on a Monday and vote in an election the following Friday without taking any other action.

I'm ok with giving someone a couple of days to change their mind but making the deregistration effective a week later might expose people who decided to leave to pesky campaign pms if there is an election. 

Indeed, but if they have decided to leave the only effect those PMs would serve is to further convince them of their desire to leave.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2018, 06:52:04 PM »

This bill should have been brought to a final immediate vote in front of the senate.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2018, 07:35:15 PM »

OH yes, send this bill to me. I will give you a waiting period alright. Evil
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies