HB 1164: Deregistration Waiting Period Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:43:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 1164: Deregistration Waiting Period Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: HB 1164: Deregistration Waiting Period Act (Passed)  (Read 1879 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 22, 2017, 12:41:38 AM »
« edited: November 19, 2017, 08:08:59 PM by Vice President PiT »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

People's Regional Senate
Passed 4-0 in the Atlasian Senate assembled
Be it resolved, X President pro tempore[/quote]

Sponsor: NEEDED

I hereby open the floor for debate.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 01:39:47 AM »

The implication of two is that there is some penalty afterwards, but none is stated here. What is this penalty if any? If I am not mistaken we have yet to establish limits on the return of deregistered persons.

I would oppose doing so, just for the record as I am opposed to the process of active deregistration.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 08:46:53 AM »

Barring a particularly convincing argument by the yet-unnamed sponsor, I'm afraid I will also have to oppose this bill, for pretty much the opposite reason as Yankee. As a general rule, I'm not a fan of state-imposed waiting periods for personal decisions; from personal experience, I can testify that a quick and clean break from the game is often the best solution for those for whom the heckling and pressure of politics has become too much, and I don't think Congress should be in the business of telling them they can't deregister immediately because a dozen or so insiders in Nyman have decided their "overreacting" or whatever.
JGibson
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 11:25:20 AM »

I am willing to sponsor or co-sponsor this bill.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 11:41:50 AM »

Barring a particularly convincing argument by the yet-unnamed sponsor, I'm afraid I will also have to oppose this bill, for pretty much the opposite reason as Yankee. As a general rule, I'm not a fan of state-imposed waiting periods for personal decisions; from personal experience, I can testify that a quick and clean break from the game is often the best solution for those for whom the heckling and pressure of politics has become too much, and I don't think Congress should be in the business of telling them they can't deregister immediately because a dozen or so insiders in Nyman have decided their "overreacting" or whatever.

I agree with this.  Personally, I do not support this waiting period for those who would do better just to make a clean exit.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 12:52:13 PM »

Representatives have 24 hours to object to Representative JGibson assuming sponsorship.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 11:16:18 PM »

With no objections, Representative JGibson is now the sponsor. I invite the sponsor to make a post arguing for the bill.
JGibson
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 10:42:40 AM »

As the bill's sponsor, I rise to the House floor to speak in favor of HB1164 that's upon us in the Chamber.

What this bill does is make for a streamlined and defined process to deregister from voting in Atlasian elections and to withdraw such requests in a timely manner.

I understand that there are some objections to this bill mentioned already on the floor, and will address those concerns, but in the end, I'll be voting AYE at this juncture.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 11:27:58 PM »

But if one is going to restore the restrictions on returning, which could at some point happen, I would prefer this waiting period be in place then not be. At least now the only consequence has is the loss of whatever office said person held when they deregistered.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2017, 09:22:41 PM »

But if one is going to restore the restrictions on returning, which could at some point happen, I would prefer this waiting period be in place then not be. At least now the only consequence has is the loss of whatever office said person held when they deregistered.
I understand this argument, but I'm afraid I find it about as convincing as you find mine. Tongue What this ultimately boils down to is Congress trying to protect people from their own bad decisions. In certain contexts, this may be necessary or even desirable; but I don't think this is one of them.

I should also add that I am not at all convinced Congress has the constitutional authority to tell persons they must remain registered with the Census Bureau for a minimum period of time; that goes far beyond the power to "to establish uniform laws of naturalization" established under Article III(6).
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 12:12:02 AM »

I understand this argument, but I'm afraid I find it about as convincing as you find mine. Tongue What this ultimately boils down to is Congress trying to protect people from their own bad decisions. In certain contexts, this may be necessary or even desirable; but I don't think this is one of them.

I should also add that I am not at all convinced Congress has the constitutional authority to tell persons they must remain registered with the Census Bureau for a minimum period of time; that goes far beyond the power to "to establish uniform laws of naturalization" established under Article III(6).

Next thing you are going to tell me is the RG lacks the power to deregister people. Tongue
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2017, 02:53:49 PM »

I really don't believe there needs to be a 7 day waiting period. Either it should be substantially shorter or it shouldn't exist.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2017, 12:18:03 AM »

If there are no objections, we can proceed to a final vote in 24 hours.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2017, 08:04:43 AM »

I am supportive of this bill because I don't see the point in deregistering (especially so quickly). A citizen can easily resign from any held office or abstain from voting in an election if he or she views this game as being too troublesome but stay on the census rolls until that citizen misses too many elections which should warrant a removal from the census rolls.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2017, 02:41:39 AM »

I will renew the 24 hour period for last call, since we switched over sessions in the meantime. If there are no objections after 24 hours, I will call a final vote.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2017, 03:37:52 AM »

I think we need to define penalty.

Right now the only penalty present, is loss of office and your registration. We should put that in the text.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2017, 03:39:26 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2017, 03:44:31 AM »
« Edited: November 16, 2017, 03:52:37 AM by Vice President PiT »

Quote from: Restricted

Sponsor Feedback: Pending
JGibson
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2017, 01:34:32 PM »

The amendment is deemed acceptable.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2017, 09:09:14 PM »

Representatives have 24 hours to object to the amendment.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2017, 12:16:33 AM »

With no objections, the amendment is adopted.
Former Senator Haslam2020
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2017, 08:12:08 PM »

Let's get it
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2017, 01:14:19 AM »

Okay, another 24 hours for last call on comments and amendments.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2017, 05:49:56 PM »

If this law is passed, someone who deregistered fice days before an election can vote but would need to declare to have a change of mind ? But the vote is not valid if you say nothing in the registration thread. Is the vote valid if someone declares to reverse derigistration even after the election has begun.

The deregistration takes effect one week after its declare. I think there is a tirthy day period before you can re-register. That makes the deregistration period 37 days no? By having the waiting period you are basically increasing the deregistration period since declaration. 
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2017, 02:51:23 AM »

A final vote is now open on this bill. Representatives have 72 hours to vote aye, nay, or abstain.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies