Macron to form new European Parliament political group (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:29:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Macron to form new European Parliament political group (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Macron to form new European Parliament political group  (Read 1812 times)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« on: December 09, 2017, 04:24:34 PM »

Blatant power grab by Macron. I hope the VVD won't join. My wet dream would be a new European party formed by the more right-wing ALDE parties (VVD, Venstre) and the less explicitly Christian Democratic parties of the EPP (like the Moderates in Sweden) but that's probably not going to happen as I don't think there is a lot of space in Europe for a party like this.

Honestly, what would this party's focus be? Aren't liberals already in ALDE and mainstream conservatives in the EPP? That would probably be too niche tbh.

Not to mention that if enough EPP MEPs leave that would mean that S&D would become the largest group and would probably try to get the EU Commision president. (of course it would depend on the election results)

Still, looking at both groups my guess is that these parties might be willing to join such a group (keep in mind that I don't know much about them to begin with):

EPP

SDS (Slovenia): 3 MEPs
Kokoomus (Finland): 3 MEPs
Forza Italia (Italy): 12 MEPs
Vienotība (Latvia): 4 MEPs
Nationalist Party (Malta): 3 MEPs
PSD (Portugal): 6 MEPs
TOP 09 (Czech Republic): 4 MEPs
PNL (Romania): 8 MEPs
Moderates (Sweden): 3 MEPs

ALDE

FDP (Germany): 3 MEPs
Open VLD (Belgium): 3 MEPs
MR (Belgium): 2 MEPs
MDL (Bulgaria): 4 MEPs
Venestre (Denmark): 2 MEPs
Reform (Estonia): 2 MEPs
VVD (Netherlands): 3 MEPs

Total: 65 MEPs, represented in 15/27 countries.

Of course, this means that EPP would lose the Commision presidency to S&D as they'd only have 171 MEPs (compared to S&Ds 189).

Such a group would be the 4th largest in the EU parliament, but mostly because they cannibalized others. Honestly, the liberals-mainstream conservatives division (ALDE-EPP) seems better to me.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies