expensive Coal Bailout coming, Perry: it's gov's job to pick who wins/loses
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:26:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  expensive Coal Bailout coming, Perry: it's gov's job to pick who wins/loses
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: expensive Coal Bailout coming, Perry: it's gov's job to pick who wins/loses  (Read 1256 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 22, 2017, 06:30:23 PM »
« edited: October 22, 2017, 06:40:22 PM by Blue3 »

http://www.npr.org/2017/10/12/557367017/is-this-how-the-trump-administration-might-save-coal

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 07:07:13 PM »

One of the things I really like about the Trump Administration is how it has lead the Republican Party, like a horror movie villain in the third act, to completely abandon it's disguises in favor of letting the pure evil underneath shine out, clearly visible to anyone with a working brain.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 07:31:56 PM »

One of the things I really like about the Trump Administration is how it has lead the Republican Party, like a horror movie villain in the third act, to completely abandon it's disguises in favor of letting the pure evil underneath shine out, clearly visible to anyone with a working brain.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 10:16:31 PM »

It's so true.

This in particular is just indefensible.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 10:21:19 PM »

Well so much for the old argument against clean energy being that it is no economically feasible
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 10:31:01 PM »

We Republicans can't criticize the dumping of public money into inefficient green-energy sources and yet support something like this. We need to eliminate government imposed barriers to energy production, not have government propping up industries that can't survive on their own. We shouldn't have a government that is pro-coal or anti-coal but instead a government that supports open and free competition within the energy sector. Hope this plan fails.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 10:31:30 PM »

Well so much for the old argument against clean energy being that it is no economically feasible

Coal is really what's economically infeasible when you add the costs of pollution and greenhouse gases.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 11:39:40 PM »
« Edited: October 22, 2017, 11:50:07 PM by Maxwell »

wow thanks to our glorious chairman of the central energy politburo Rick Perry! Don't let those capitalist swine try to shut down our terrific coal mines!

here's to the next energy secretary under a Democrat, following this precedent, nationalizing the energy industry.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 12:38:54 AM »

We Republicans can't criticize the dumping of public money into inefficient green-energy sources and yet support something like this. We need to eliminate government imposed barriers to energy production, not have government propping up industries that can't survive on their own. We shouldn't have a government that is pro-coal or anti-coal but instead a government that supports open and free competition within the energy sector. Hope this plan fails.

This is what we get with a demagogue as leader: someone who scraps economic rationality and efficiency for patronage. Coal mining has been a dying business for decades in the Appalachians (where the 'classical' coal miners are), and President Trump can prop it up only by demanding that we Americans burn more coal. That means pumping more carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, and thus accelerating AGW.

Will the 'classical' coal miners go to the west to mine the coal? Probably not, as the mining techniques are different. The 'classical' coal miners will get nothing out of it, but the coal barons will profiteer richly.

To be sure, there are other uses of coal than burning it for energy. But I don't see us making much more iron and steel per capita. Petroleum coke, which comes from oil and natural gas, is far more suitable as the carbon to be used in iron and steel production, as it is closer to being carbon than coal often containing sulfur unwelcome in iron and steel. (The RMS Titanic  sank faster than anyone could have expected because its steel had excessive sulfur that makes steel more brittle).

With his rejection of the free market for purposes other than equity (such as alleviation of poverty) or national security, President Trump shows that he is not a conservative.

Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 12:40:24 AM »
« Edited: October 23, 2017, 12:44:02 AM by Tartarus Sauce »

It won't save the the coal industry. I remember they were interviewing the commissioner of the utilities board in I think Arkansas for a piece several months back, and he more or less argued to the effect that no utilities company would take the bait because they know the moment Trump is out of office, coal will get the boot again, and likely for good. The leaders of the industry have read the writing on the wall already.

It will, however, end up being another addition to the pile of internal contradictions between the increasingly policy antiquated Republican establishment and the nationalist paradigm of Trump which will lead to a collapse in the party's order eventually.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 12:42:47 AM »

It's pretty telling, though, that Perry actually says it's the government's job to pick winners and losers.  

Wasn't Perry against TARP?  Wasn't one of the objections for TARP the idea that it picked winners and losers?  Wasn't that the objection to Solyndra?  I can go on and on.  If the government is going to pick winners and losers for the greater good, I suppose it's not the end of the world, but let's drop the "free market" premises for the sake of intellectual honesty.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2017, 12:57:18 AM »

And the Trump Administration’s efforts at transforming America into a dirty energy state continues unabated...
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2017, 12:58:56 AM »

It's pretty telling, though, that Perry actually says it's the government's job to pick winners and losers.  

Wasn't Perry against TARP?  Wasn't one of the objections for TARP the idea that it picked winners and losers?  Wasn't that the objection to Solyndra?  I can go on and on.  If the government is going to pick winners and losers for the greater good, I suppose it's not the end of the world, but let's drop the "free market" premises for the sake of intellectual honesty.

I don't think Republicans should drop the "free market premises". The taxpayers shouldn't have their hard-earned money stripped from them so that it can be shipped off to politically in-favor companies, whether they be coal companies or renewable energy companies. The government should pursue policies that lower energy costs for consumers (increasing drilling permits, reducing regulations) not robbing from the taxpayer to prop up dying companies.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2017, 03:18:42 AM »

Donald Trump's administration betrays the most sacred Republican principle. News at 11.

I'm not really an Objectivist (I back the core message but Rand obviously is too extreme) but at this stage I'm begging for Paul Ryan and his most extreme Randian economist buddies to basically coup the hell out of this sh**t. Anyway, they ditched Bush's Compassionate Conservatism literally days after Obama won so I'm confident they can purge Trumpism after Trump loses in a landslide. But until that day we'll have to live with this deplorable "conservatism".
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2017, 04:35:56 AM »

As China, India, and many European nations move away from fossil-fueled vehicles, I'm sure the Trump Administration will do everything it can to support widespread adoption of coal-fueled vehicles.

^That's me being facetious, but only because Corporate America far exceeds the double-digit IQ average of the Trump Administration. Fortunately, the American auto industry is moving forward with the Obama Administration's standards and actually going to far exceed them.

To the blue avatars in this topic, I don't know what you think you won, but making America great again was not something you won. You lost and we lost. We have stupidity reigning supreme now. While China and India build out great infrastructure with no carbon emissions, we in the United States are stuck with catering to failing coal interests.

I can only hope that these four years are nothing more than a blip on the radar screen. We need serious leadership that appreciates the threat of warming and rising seas and leadership that wants to create good-paying jobs to repair our decaying infrastructure. Donald Trump does not care about any of that and if you believed him, you were lied to. We'll be lucky to rank top 10 on any serious world ranking by 2020 (for the few that we do still hold).
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2017, 06:34:16 AM »

Horrible policy and not a conservative policy.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2017, 08:51:40 AM »

As China, India, and many European nations move away from fossil-fueled vehicles, I'm sure the Trump Administration will do everything it can to support widespread adoption of coal-fueled vehicles.

^That's me being facetious, but only because Corporate America far exceeds the double-digit IQ average of the Trump Administration. Fortunately, the American auto industry is moving forward with the Obama Administration's standards and actually going to far exceed them.

To the blue avatars in this topic, I don't know what you think you won, but making America great again was not something you won. You lost and we lost. We have stupidity reigning supreme now. While China and India build out great infrastructure with no carbon emissions, we in the United States are stuck with catering to failing coal interests.

I can only hope that these four years are nothing more than a blip on the radar screen. We need serious leadership that appreciates the threat of warming and rising seas and leadership that wants to create good-paying jobs to repair our decaying infrastructure. Donald Trump does not care about any of that and if you believed him, you were lied to. We'll be lucky to rank top 10 on any serious world ranking by 2020 (for the few that we do still hold).

Whoa man stop harshing my mellow, you mean it’s not good we get to warmly navel gaze and annoy those SJWs we saw on Facebook that one time?!?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2017, 09:53:38 AM »

Donald Trump's administration betrays the most sacred Republican principle. News at 11.

I'm not really an Objectivist (I back the core message but Rand obviously is too extreme) but at this stage I'm begging for Paul Ryan and his most extreme Randian economist buddies to basically coup the hell out of this sh**t. Anyway, they ditched Bush's Compassionate Conservatism literally days after Obama won so I'm confident they can purge Trumpism after Trump loses in a landslide. But until that day we'll have to live with this deplorable "conservatism".

Outside of a few individuals the Republicans haven't been "free market" in a long, long time. They'll preach it but will bailout and do whatever their donors in different sectors want. That's why we have locked in monopolies on cable/internet/energy companies in areas. Not allowed to have a solar panel on your house now hooked up to the grid, illegal to do other things, the war against net neutrality.

Personally I would love to see the government come in and absolutely nuke these entities to tiny pieces and actually let competition in.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2017, 04:02:13 PM »

So basically a government handout?
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2017, 04:35:54 PM »

Yeah, but it’s for corporations and the rich, so that’s different.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2017, 07:04:43 PM »

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas

TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2017, 07:12:33 PM »

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies