What will Trump say and do if... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:06:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  What will Trump say and do if... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What will Trump say and do if...  (Read 1585 times)
60+ GOP Seats After 2018 GUARANTEED
ahugecat

« on: October 22, 2017, 10:33:01 PM »

I actually believe that Trump WISH he won the PV but lost the EV in 2016. Perhaps he never wanted to be President, but wanted to say "I COULD have won it if I tried" and having a PV "win" could back that claim up.
ahugecat

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 12:32:25 AM »
« Edited: October 23, 2017, 12:35:54 AM by 60+ GOP Seats After 2018 GUARANTEED »

I actually believe that Trump WISH he won the PV but lost the EV in 2016. Perhaps he never wanted to be President, but wanted to say "I COULD have won it if I tried" and having a PV "win" could back that claim up.

Not a bad argument

It's his M.O. "I COULD have won if I really wanted to." He does this a LOT. He did it during the 2012 race. He did it when he skipped the Iowa debate, etc. etc.

IMO the popular vote really, really affected him mentally (he even wanted to get rid of the electoral college but Mitch McConnell talked him out of it lol). In 2020 though I think he'll just want to win outright. IMO if  Trump wins next time he will get the popular vote as well.

Me? I just say he lost the popular vote because he didn't spend as much money as Clinton did.
ahugecat

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 12:34:50 AM »

I suppose I'd find the show amusing to a point.

I certainly don't think such a result would be good for our politics.  Half the Presidential elections in the 20th century would be giving the Presidency to the person who received fewer popular votes.  "Here, sir, the people rule!".  Would we be able to say that with credibility?

I do think the Electoral College should be abolished, and the President elected by popular vote.  I think there should be a whole lot of ballot access reform going with such a move. 

I don't think the electoral college should be abandoned because we do NOTHING nationally for votes. No national referendums for example.

What could help fix it is if all 50 states do what Nebraska and Maine do and split their EVs.
ahugecat

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 04:07:10 PM »

If anything that would help.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies