Corker says he won't support Trump's reelection
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:55:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Corker says he won't support Trump's reelection
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Corker says he won't support Trump's reelection  (Read 664 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 24, 2017, 02:14:38 PM »

We have our first name for the 2020 #NeverTrump list:

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/356846-corker-i-wont-support-trump-for-election-again

You must be logged in to read this quote.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 02:55:01 PM »

I'm sure once Kamala Harris or John Delaney becomes Satan incarnate, he'll change his mind in late October 2020.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 02:56:45 PM »

I'm sure once Kamala Harris or John Delaney becomes Satan incarnate, he'll change his mind in late October 2020.

U wot

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 03:12:01 PM »

That's what many folks here were saying about the #NeverTrump Republican politicians last year.  "Oh, once we hit crunch time, they'll change their minds and endorse Trump."  Only a handful ever did though.  The bulk of them stuck to it, and in fact, the list of #NeverTrump Republicans in Congress was longer in October 2016 than it was in May 2016.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 03:17:12 PM »

That's what many folks here were saying about the #NeverTrump Republican politicians last year.  "Oh, once we hit crunch time, they'll change their minds and endorse Trump."  Only a handful ever did though.  The bulk of them stuck to it, and in fact, the list of #NeverTrump Republicans in Congress was longer in October 2016 than it was in May 2016.

Really? I seem to recall quite a few who pulled their endorsements after the Khans or Access Hollywood rushing back to him at the last second because of muh Hillary.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 03:45:12 PM »

Really? I seem to recall quite a few who pulled their endorsements after the Khans or Access Hollywood rushing back to him at the last second because of muh Hillary.

Well, you’re wrong.  There weren’t “quite a few.”  There were a handful.

Make Crapo did that (un-endorse, and then re-endorse), and there were a couple of others, like Chaffetz and Heller.  Then you’ve got Deb Fischer and John Thune, who both said post-Access Hollywood tape that Trump should drop out because the party would be better off with Pence leading it, but they never actually rescinded their endorsement of Trump.  They said he was still better than Clinton, but hoped that Pence would be the nominee instead.  The media bungled their reporting on cases like that, claiming that it was a “reversal”.

But the vast majority of those who went #NeverTrump stuck with it.  E.g., in the aftermath of Access Hollywood alone, you had all of these folks declaring that they were going #NeverTrump, all of them sticking with their non-endorsement through to election day (AFAIK):

Sen. Kelly Ayotte (NH)
Gov. Robert Bentley (AL)
Rep. Bradley Byrne (AL)
Rep. Barbara Comstock (VA)
Rep. Rodney Davis (IL)
Rep. Jeff Fortenberry (NE)
Sen. Cory Gardner (CO)
Rep. Cresent Hardy (NV)
Rep. Joe Heck (NV)
Gov. Gary Herbert (UT)
Rep. Will Hurd (TX)
Gov. John Kasich (OH)
Rep. John Katko (NY)
Rep. Steve Knight (CA)
Sen. Mike Lee (UT)
Rep. Frank LoBiondo (NJ)
Rep. Mia Love (UT)
Gov. Susana Martinez (NM)
Sen. John McCain (AZ)
Sen. Lisa Murkowski (AK)
Rep. Erik Paulsen (MN)
former Gov. Tim Pawlenty (MN)
Sen. Rob Portman (OH)
former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice
Rep. Martha Roby (AL)
Rep. Tom Rooney (FL)
Gov. Brian Sandoval (NV)
former Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger (CA)
Rep. Mike Simpson (ID)
Sen. Dan Sullivan (AK)
Rep. Ann Wagner (MO)

And of course, that’s on top of all the people who were #NeverTrump before Access Hollywood, like Jeb Bush, Lindsey Graham, Ben Sasse, etc.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 03:58:35 PM »

Well, you’re wrong.  There weren’t “quite a few.”  There were a handful.

Make Crapo did that (un-endorse, and then re-endorse), and there were a couple of others, like Chaffetz and Heller.  Then you’ve got Deb Fischer and John Thune, who both said post-Access Hollywood tape that Trump should drop out because the party would be better off with Pence leading it, but they never actually rescinded their endorsement of Trump.  They said he was still better than Clinton, but hoped that Pence would be the nominee instead.  The media bungled their reporting on cases like that, claiming that it was a “reversal”.

But the vast majority of those who went #NeverTrump stuck with it.  E.g., in the aftermath of Access Hollywood alone, you had all of these folks declaring that they were going #NeverTrump, all of them sticking with their non-endorsement through to election day (AFAIK):

Sen. Kelly Ayotte (NH)
Gov. Robert Bentley (AL)
Rep. Bradley Byrne (AL)
Rep. Barbara Comstock (VA)
Rep. Rodney Davis (IL)
Rep. Jeff Fortenberry (NE)
Sen. Cory Gardner (CO)
Rep. Cresent Hardy (NV)
Rep. Joe Heck (NV)
Gov. Gary Herbert (UT)
Rep. Will Hurd (TX)
Gov. John Kasich (OH)
Rep. John Katko (NY)
Rep. Steve Knight (CA)
Sen. Mike Lee (UT)
Rep. Frank LoBiondo (NJ)
Rep. Mia Love (UT)
Gov. Susana Martinez (NM)
Sen. John McCain (AZ)
Sen. Lisa Murkowski (AK)
Rep. Erik Paulsen (MN)
former Gov. Tim Pawlenty (MN)
Sen. Rob Portman (OH)
former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice
Rep. Martha Roby (AL)
Rep. Tom Rooney (FL)
Gov. Brian Sandoval (NV)
former Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger (CA)
Rep. Mike Simpson (ID)
Sen. Dan Sullivan (AK)
Rep. Ann Wagner (MO)

And of course, that’s on top of all the people who were #NeverTrump before Access Hollywood, like Jeb Bush, Lindsey Graham, Ben Sasse, etc.

Quite a few vs. a handful is semantics. Fair enough though, point taken that many didn't. My initial post was tongue in cheek and aimed more at the voters than the politicians anyway.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 04:01:47 PM »

I mean, I don't expect him to vote Democratic by ANY means.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 05:49:49 PM »

Surprisingly, I think the #NeverTrump Republicans list will be longer in 2020 than it was in 2016. He's driving away moderates and independents from the party ranks. (McCain, Collins, Ros-Lehtinen, Dent, Corker, Flake, etc.)
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 10:06:09 PM »

Surprisingly, I think the #NeverTrump Republicans list will be longer in 2020 than it was in 2016. He's driving away moderates and independents from the party ranks. (McCain, Collins, Ros-Lehtinen, Dent, Corker, Flake, etc.)

Only Collins will be in Congress at point though, and by then she'd be heading for the exits too, either because she lost the Republican Senate primary or saw she was going to lose it and decided to retire.

I don't see that happening with Collins. Her popularity is still high enough to win a GOP primary in Maine 3 years from now. And even if she didn't, she could probably still win (à la Murkowski). Remember, she would've still won in 2014 if not a single Republican voted.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 11:23:06 PM »

Hillary was always going to be some killer GOTV for the Republicans.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies