Ed Kilgore to Dems: Please don't nominate someone older than Trump
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:31:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Ed Kilgore to Dems: Please don't nominate someone older than Trump
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Ed Kilgore to Dems: Please don't nominate someone older than Trump  (Read 1250 times)
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2017, 01:42:54 PM »

Gabbard, Moulton, and Brown are Bannon's favorites and mine too.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2017, 02:30:17 PM »

Who the hell is Ed Kilgore and why should I care about the garbage coming out of his mouth?
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2017, 04:33:52 PM »

Gabbard would the first millennial President, Moulton is at the tail-end of the Gen X, Gillibrand & Booker are both Gen Xers. Harris just qualifies as a Baby Boomer, '64 is the last year of that generation.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2017, 04:51:38 PM »

Who the hell is Ed Kilgore and why should I care about the garbage coming out of his mouth?

@I came here to comment this, and I wasn't disappointed.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2017, 05:41:24 PM »

No one has the progressive qualifications and name recognition of Bernie.

Name recognition doesn't matter in the general election, since the very process of winning the nomination gives you ~100% name recognition among voters.  I mean, heck, Sanders himself was not well known among regular voters outside Vermont four years ago, but his run for president itself gave him high name recognition, and if he'd been the nominee, he would have gone into the general election with ~100% name recognition.  Same for anyone who wins the presidential nomination of one of the two major parties.  No one goes into the voting booth in November not knowing who the Democratic nominee for president is.

I'm talking about the primary. If you're a progressive with low name recognition and the DNC doesn't want to help you, and the media is ignoring you, you have a problem.

If you win one of the early primary states (or possibly even if you just start polling well in one of them), then you get high name recognition.  We don't yet know who's going to catch on and end up with high name ID by the time we get to primary voting because the campaign hasn't started yet.

The problem is that it quickly turns into a national campaign, where you probably didn't have the resources for infrastructure until after your good showing in Iowa. Remember, Super Tuesday includes California now. This is a problem for a real insurgent candidate, not someone who starts off at 25% nationwide like Obama did.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2017, 06:13:55 PM »

But 84 year olds are fine running for re-election in the senate?
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2017, 06:58:58 PM »

The youngest potential candidates; Zuckerberg, Booker, Castro, are all god-awful.

Garcetti and Murphy are younger than Booker, as are the House crew (Gabbard, Moulton, Ryan).  In any case, I think the point here wasn't that you should go as young as possible, just that you should think carefully about picking someone who's way at the other end of the age spectrum.

Garcetti would rather spend billions on the Olympics than housing for his cities massive homeless population. F**k 'em.
The LA Olympics could very well be profitable, and are very well thought out. The city government can't spend it's way out of homelessness anyway. Garcetti is amazing.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2017, 08:33:09 PM »

The youngest potential candidates; Zuckerberg, Booker, Castro, are all god-awful.

Garcetti and Murphy are younger than Booker, as are the House crew (Gabbard, Moulton, Ryan).  In any case, I think the point here wasn't that you should go as young as possible, just that you should think carefully about picking someone who's way at the other end of the age spectrum.

Garcetti would rather spend billions on the Olympics than housing for his cities massive homeless population. F**k 'em.
The LA Olympics could very well be profitable, and are very well thought out. The city government can't spend it's way out of homelessness anyway. Garcetti is amazing.

The thing about Garcetti is less than 10% of his city turned out to vote for him in both elections. Most of his constituents probably have no clue who he is.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2017, 12:44:43 AM »

The Olympics have been a money hole for every city that's had them, hence why the only people that usually try to attract the god-awful spectacle are 2nd-world, bribery-rampant despot-states like Russia and Brazil.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2017, 11:28:36 PM »

No one has the progressive qualifications and name recognition of Bernie.

Name recognition doesn't matter in the general election, since the very process of winning the nomination gives you ~100% name recognition among voters.  I mean, heck, Sanders himself was not well known among regular voters outside Vermont four years ago, but his run for president itself gave him high name recognition, and if he'd been the nominee, he would have gone into the general election with ~100% name recognition.  Same for anyone who wins the presidential nomination of one of the two major parties.  No one goes into the voting booth in November not knowing who the Democratic nominee for president is.

I'm talking about the primary. If you're a progressive with low name recognition and the DNC doesn't want to help you, and the media is ignoring you, you have a problem.

If you win one of the early primary states (or possibly even if you just start polling well in one of them), then you get high name recognition.  We don't yet know who's going to catch on and end up with high name ID by the time we get to primary voting because the campaign hasn't started yet.

The problem is that it quickly turns into a national campaign, where you probably didn't have the resources for infrastructure until after your good showing in Iowa. Remember, Super Tuesday includes California now. This is a problem for a real insurgent candidate, not someone who starts off at 25% nationwide like Obama did.

I don't think that's how it works.  Polling leads in the rest of the country before Iowa don't matter.  Look at Giuliani in '08 or Dean in '04.  They were leading nationally, and their position crumbled as other candidates caught up to them.  It doesn't really matter how much infrastructure you have in the Super Tuesday states, because the battlefield is so large that you can't spend your way to victory.  Whoever is winning in "free media" going into Super Tuesday will probably win the day, and that'll probably be whoever it is who does best in the 4 pre-Super Tuesday states.

California moving up makes IA and NH *more* important IMHO, because it makes it that much more impossible for any candidate to be able to spend themselves to victory on Super Tuesday with $.  There are too many markets to compete in at once.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies