Did Staten Island vote the way experts thought it would?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:27:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Did Staten Island vote the way experts thought it would?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Did Staten Island vote the way experts thought it would?  (Read 816 times)
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 23, 2017, 02:52:19 AM »

Or did trump do better/worse than people thought he would do there?
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 07:12:13 PM »

Trump did better than expected here. Nearly everyone knew he was going to win it, but not by the biggest margin for a presidential race since 1988.
The Govanah Jake
Jake Jewvinivisk

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -5.30

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 04:57:39 PM »

I don't believe there was any Staten Island county poll for the election, as least i can find of, but i bet he definitely over performed in the county according to such a poll as he did in other states and regions with the similar white working class and Italian/Irish White Ethnic and also with the average state polling overall in the Midwest and Northeastern regions.

EDIT: On a second note i did find one county prediction for them by http://benchmark.shareblue.com/counties/. As expected the prediction only showed Richmond county at plus 7 with Trump doing much better then expected according to that.
Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 05:16:35 PM »

I don't believe there was any Staten Island county poll for the election, as least i can find of, but i bet he definitely over performed in the county according to such a poll as he did in other states and regions with the similar white working class and Italian/Irish White Ethnic and also with the average state polling overall in the Midwest and Northeastern regions.

EDIT: On a second note i did find one county prediction for them by http://benchmark.shareblue.com/counties/. As expected the prediction only showed Richmond county at plus 7 with Trump doing much better then expected according to that.
I'm pretty sure that shareblue just used a uniform swing, because they completely failed to predict most Clinton-Romney or Trump-Obama counties.
The Govanah Jake
Jake Jewvinivisk

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -5.30

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 07:16:54 PM »

I'm pretty sure that shareblue just used a uniform swing, because they completely failed to predict most Clinton-Romney or Trump-Obama counties.

Yea in retrospect the 2016 prediction county maps often vastly underrepresented the swing Clinton-Romney and Obama-Trump county. I wouldn't exactly blame them since the state polls were wrong and misleading in the end but trumps push towards 2012 Obama voters and clintons push toward moderate republican 2012 Romney voters should of been obvious to many of these predictors that each of these canids yes would gain in those demographics and county's. Though not exactly a prediction 538s article https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/clinton-trump-vote-maps-2016/ broadly in correct in the county flips mentioned. Shareblues prediction though as you said most likely universal swing themed prediction may of seen reasonable during the campaign but now look ridiculous. At least put some effort into very visibly strategys and focus/message among other factors.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies