South Korean local elections, June 13 2018
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:25:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  South Korean local elections, June 13 2018
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: South Korean local elections, June 13 2018  (Read 2076 times)
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 13, 2018, 06:03:21 PM »

I don't know much about South Korean politics besides Wikipedia-cribbing and stuff I've picked up along the way, but South Korea held local government elections today.

These elections were for the governors of 9 provinces (including Jeju) and metropolitan mayors of the 8 first-level cities (Seoul, Busan, Incheon, Daegu, Daejeon, Gwangju, Ulsan and Sejong), the 226 heads/mayors/whatever of the second-level administrative divisions known as cities, counties or districts, the members of the provincial/first-level cities/second-level divisions councils, 17 school superintendents as well as legislative by-elections in 12 districts.

According to results on KBS, the ruling liberal Democratic Party has won by a landslide, crushing the main conservative opposition currently going by the name 'Liberty Korea Party' and the new centre-right Bareunmirae Party. The liberals won 14 of the 17 gubernatorial/metro mayoral elections, with an independent (the incumbent governor, a right-wing dissident) winning the island of Jeju and the conservatives only saving the traditional conservative bulwarks of North Gyeongsang and Daegu. From the last local elections in 2014, the liberals gained Incheon, Busan and Ulsan as well as Gyeonggi (the largest province surrounding Seoul and Incheon) and South Gyeongsang provinces.

In Seoul, liberal mayor Park Won-soon, first elected in 2011, was reelected with 53% against 23% for the conservative and 19.6% for 2017 presidential candidate Ahn Cheol-soo of the Bareunmirae Party. The liberals won in the traditionally right-leaning cities of Busan and Ulsan, defeating incumbents in both cities by wide margins (53-40 in Ulsan, 55-37 in Busan). In a return to the typical regionalism of days past, the liberals won over 70% in Jeolla (South and North Jeolla provinces) and 84% in Gwangju.

In the local (municipal?) races, liberals won 151 of the 226 second-level divisions against 53 for the conservatives, 17 independents and five for the new progressive Democracy and Peace Party. Liberals also won 11 of the 12 by-elections, which means a gain of several seats, with the conservatives only winning one of the seats. Candidates seen as 'liberal' or 'progressive' also nearly all of the school superintendent elections.

This is a major victory for liberal President Moon Jae-in, elected last year, who remains very popular with approval ratings around 75% and the recent talks with North Korea have further boosted his popularity. On the other hand, it is a humiliating defeat for the opposition, both the traditional conservatives and the new Bareunmirae Party (a fairly incoherent 'third way' merger of dissident right-wingers and most of Ahn Cheol-soo's former party).

Results (in Korean): http://2018vote.kbs.co.kr/index.html
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 11:27:15 AM »

The liberals won South Gyeongsang? Wow. It even voted for the LKP candidate in the 2017 presidential election, who got only 24.7% nationwide.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 11:48:37 AM »

Seongnam Mayor Lee Jae-Myung, who won some favourable international press for running a left wing campaign last Democratic Primary, won in Gyeonggi despite a public spat with an actress he had an affair with.

This probably is the end of An Cheol-soo's political career. Not a person I would vote for, but it would have been nice to have a more democratic Right in Korea.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 12:15:29 PM »

Seongnam Mayor Lee Jae-Myung, who won some favourable international press for running a left wing campaign last Democratic Primary, won in Gyeonggi despite a public spat with an actress he had an affair with.

This probably is the end of An Cheol-soo's political career. Not a person I would vote for, but it would have been nice to have a more democratic Right in Korea.

Was he really on the right? I had the impression Ahn Cheol-soo was a centrist, even though his centrist party merged with a right-wing party to try to stay relevant (unsuccessfully, it seems; I agree with your assessment that his political career is over).
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 10:30:12 PM »

Map of governor races from ROC media.

Blue is Democratic and Red is Liberty Korea

In Seoul Borough head it is

Governor details are

County Magistrate races relative to 2014

Main reason for the scale of the Center-Right defeat is obviously Moon's popularity but also that Liberty Korea was not able to form an alliance with the anti-Park splinter Bareunmirae Party which split the Center-Right vote even when  Bareunmirae Party is not running since the vote bases of the two Center-Right party was not able to mix.   The Center-Left vote was also split with the Justice Party but the Center-Left in ROK historically was always split while the Center-Right was always united.  If the Center-Right was more united they would still have been beaten but the scale of defeat would not as catastrophic.  It was always expected that it will take at least one if not two election cycles for the ROK Center-Right to recover from Park.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 02:22:36 AM »

Was he really on the right? I had the impression Ahn Cheol-soo was a centrist, even though his centrist party merged with a right-wing party to try to stay relevant (unsuccessfully, it seems; I agree with your assessment that his political career is over).

I think he was a sort of centre-rightist in a more, err, western sense than the conventional Korean Right, which has its roots in the dictatorship. Could be very wrong here though.
into_oblivion
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 08:54:56 AM »

Tried the link to the results posted by OP but doesn't seem to work anymore. Does anyone know of another place to get the results? Been looking everywhere and I can only seem to find basic headline stats for the regional/metropolitan governors races.

Specifically looking for the results breakdown of the eleven by-elections for the National Assembly. Any help appreciated!
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2018, 06:38:56 PM »

https://ko.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018%EB%85%84_%EB%8C%80%ED%95%9C%EB%AF%BC%EA%B5%AD_%EC%9E%AC%EB%B3%B4%EA%B6%90%EC%84%A0%EA%B1%B0

This is the only thing I could find. It's the Korean wiki article for the by-elections
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies