Austrian Elections & Politics 4.0
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:30:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Austrian Elections & Politics 4.0
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 47
Author Topic: Austrian Elections & Politics 4.0  (Read 164566 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #775 on: May 31, 2018, 10:57:56 PM »

The pollster Akonsult did a poll (May 15-22) on EU-membership recently:

35% of Austrians favour an Auxit
56% want to remain in the EU

Austrians also oppose Brexit by a 58-37 margin.

They also think that Chancellor Kurz will benefit most from Austria's EU presidency, which will start on July 1st. 40% say Kurz will benefit most, 35% Strache and 25% Kern.

https://www.meinbezirk.at/land-oesterreich/politik/umfrage-mehrheit-der-oesterreicher-will-keinen-eu-austritt-d2646425.html

---

There's also a new election poll by Research Affairs for Ö24 (May 24-30, n=1003):

70% of voters favour the government's reform plans and mergers of the health care system, but most think that nothing will change really in favour of patients.

http://www.oe24.at/oesterreich/politik/Aktuelle-Umfrage-Kurz-vorn-Krimi-um-Platz-2/335581150
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #776 on: June 01, 2018, 12:48:06 AM »

After OGM last week, the new Research Affairs poll also shows the possibility of a FPÖVP government in Red Vienna:

48% FPÖVP (+8)
48% SPÖ-Greens-NEOS (-10)
  4% Others (+2)

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #777 on: June 02, 2018, 03:26:46 AM »

Profil magazine/Unique Research poll:

78% of Austrians want recently-arrived foreigners (EU- & non-EU foreigners & asylum seekers) to get significantly lower welfare payments. Which is something the ÖVP-FPÖ government recently presented. Only 17% are opposed. 52% strongly favour lower welfare payments for foreigners, 26% somewhat. 8% are somewhat opposed and 9% strongly opposed.

https://www.profil.at/oesterreich/umfrage-oesterreicher-mindestsicherung-fluechtlinge-10107089
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #778 on: June 02, 2018, 06:20:11 AM »

A high-ranking FPÖ official in FPÖ Interior Minister Kickl's ministry has been exposed by the "Profil" magazine for uploading YouTube videos with the following model airplanes:

http://www.heute.at/politik/news/story/Manuel-K-FPOE-Mann-veroeffentlichte--Nazi-Flugzeug--Videos-45647266

Roll Eyes

Profil filed a lawsuit against the FPÖ-official for violating Austria's anti-Nazi laws.

No comment yet from Kickl, Strache & Co.
Omega21

« Reply #779 on: June 02, 2018, 06:36:13 AM »
« Edited: June 02, 2018, 06:41:02 AM by Omega21 »

A high-ranking FPÖ official in FPÖ Interior Minister Kickl's ministry has been exposed by the "Profil" magazine for uploading YouTube videos with the following model airplanes:

http://www.heute.at/politik/news/story/Manuel-K-FPOE-Mann-veroeffentlichte--Nazi-Flugzeug--Videos-45647266

Roll Eyes

Profil filed a lawsuit against the FPÖ-official for violating Austria's anti-Nazi laws.

Seriously?

This is a Messerschmitt Me 163 Komet and this is exactly how it looked like. I am all for punishing people who support the Nazi ideology and I think these people should be incarcerated, but this is something that doesn't even come close.

It was a legendary aircraft (one of the very little "good" things that came out of WW2), so I see no problem in having a model of the first ever rocket powered aircraft representing how it truly looked.

If this is what the Goverment considers as "Nazi", then I'm completely lost.

The exact plane on display in Berlin has a swastika on it

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #780 on: June 02, 2018, 06:44:26 AM »

(picture)

Roll Eyes

Seriously?

This is a Messerschmitt Me 163 Komet and this is exactly how it looked like. I am all for punishing people who support the Nazi ideology and I think these people should be incarcerated, but this is something that doesn't even come close.

It was a legendary aircraft (one of the very little "good" things that came out of WW2), so I see no problem in having a model of the first ever rocket powered aircraft representing how it truly looked.

(picture)

The problem here is that the Messerschmitt model plane has a swastika on it.

Swastikas are banned under Austria's anti-nazi law (except when shown in museums or in film productions that are not used for nazi-propaganda).

Also, the combination FPÖ-official in the FPÖ-led Interior Ministry using a model plane with a swastika on it is ... tough. Without the swastika on it, it might be slightly different.

Also, the model you showed is likely in a German museum.
Omega21

« Reply #781 on: June 02, 2018, 07:12:51 AM »

(picture)

Roll Eyes

Seriously?

(picture)

The problem here is that the Messerschmitt model plane has a swastika on it.

Swastikas are banned under Austria's anti-nazi law (except when shown in museums or in film productions that are not used for nazi-propaganda).

Also, the combination FPÖ-official in the FPÖ-led Interior Ministry using a model plane with a swastika on it is ... tough. Without the swastika on it, it might be slightly different.

Also, the model you showed is likely in a German museum.

Yeah, it is in Berlin.

I mean I understand the laws, but how far does it go lol... Stamps, War memorabilia, and anything with a Swastika on it people should pretend it doesn't/didn't exist.

Personally I think it's just watering down history. Besides, nowadays there are more hardcode "Nazis" in America than in Austria.

Either way, not sure why the FPO official would do something like this, it's like a lot of them have a fetish for getting pounded by the media and public.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #782 on: June 02, 2018, 08:41:38 AM »

Glad that the Austrian media are paying attention to the truly important things in politics. A good indication that FPÖVP are doing a great job if the media have to focus on non-news like this, though.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #783 on: June 02, 2018, 09:00:18 AM »

Glad that the Austrian media are paying attention to the truly important things in politics. A good indication that FPÖVP are doing a great job if the media have to focus on non-news like this, though.

Well, they are doing a good job. Not on all topics, but by-and-large, yes.

The economy is doing great and the opposition is in shambles right now as well.

So, the media mostly focuses on "unique cases" such as these instead. Which is their job of course. And something that needs to be done. Even if there are only a few cases discovered by the media out of 1.5 million FPÖ or 2.5 million Hofer-voters, it's still annoying that some Austrian FPÖ-voters continue to hold these Nazi-views. The FPÖ could easily do a good enough job and still get high approval and polling numbers by getting rid of all Nazi-related stuff and only focus on systemic criticism and rule-of-law concerning immigration.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #784 on: June 02, 2018, 09:27:45 AM »

Because obviously some FPÖ guy's little model airplane is a bigger problem and should be a bigger news story than the violent crime, welfare abuse, radicalization, and disrespect for our countries that have now become par for the course all over Western Europe, including Austria.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #785 on: June 02, 2018, 09:34:55 AM »

Because obviously some FPÖ guy's little model airplane is a bigger problem and should be a bigger news story than the violent crime, welfare abuse, radicalization, and disrespect for our countries that have now become par for the course all over Western Europe, including Austria.

That's a valid argument.

But I would like to see both problems being limited close to zero.

The first problem needs to be tackled with a good (history) education and the second problem needs a constant, boisterous focus by the parties in our countries to keep dangerous foreign influences out (and not naive welcome policies by the Greens and other douches).
Omega21

« Reply #786 on: June 02, 2018, 05:03:03 PM »

I was really surprised that the ultra Lefties didn't post an article named "FPO FLIES SWASTIKA HIGH OVER AUSTRIA!!!!". Lol

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #787 on: June 03, 2018, 12:19:31 AM »

Russian President Putin will be in Austria on Tuesday for a work visit ("50 Year Anniversary of Soviet gas delivery to Austria").

Chancellor Kurz, Vice-Chancellor Strache and President VdB and a huge economic delegation will meet Putin and discuss various topics with him. While Kurz will be all statesman-like, a good host, avoid hot topics and mostly talk about the economy, Strache will talk about ending the Russian sanctions (which he cannot end, it's an EU matter) and VdB will talk about the human rights abuses in Russia, Crimea, Syria etc.

Still, Putin really likes Austria these days: It is a bridge-builder between West and East and did not expel Russian diplomats after the Skripal-case.

https://diepresse.com/home/ausland/aussenpolitik/5439786/Warum-Putin-gern-nach-Wien-kommt
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #788 on: June 04, 2018, 12:18:50 PM »

With Putin visting Vienna tomorrow, the highly popular and pertinacious Austrian journalist Armin Wolf (from the public ORF broadcaster) got the chance to interview the Russian President for an hour.

This interview will be broadcast on the ORF in roughly 1 hour during primetime (you can watch it here).
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #789 on: June 05, 2018, 02:10:46 PM »

While President VdB was quite sceptical of Putin today, Kurz and Strache had a blast meeting with Putin (... and yes, Kurz has an upside down map of Europe in his Chancellor office):

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #790 on: June 06, 2018, 11:50:53 AM »

All cabinet members of the ÖVP+FPÖ government took a plane* to Brussels today for a common council meeting (= school trip for grown-ups) there. This was done to prepare Austria's EU presidency, which starts on July 1st. Kurz/Strache & Co. then also met with Juncker & Co. - who praised the government this time (after attacking them in previous months).

* A constitutional expert called it highly dangerous and irresponsible that the whole government would be on board of the same plane, while the satirical "Tagespresse" wrote that "Austria's government is deporting itself".

https://derstandard.at/2000081070351/Mayer-Ganze-Regierung-in-einem-Flugzeug-grob-fahrlaessig

https://dietagespresse.com/keine-ausbildung-schlechte-deutschkenntnisse-regierung-schiebt-sich-ab

After the council meeting in Brussels, they said that their EU-presidency will focus on:

* Immigration and reforming the current asylum system (less immigration + better border control)

* Security/anti-terror measures

* Brexit talks

* West-Balkans EU-membership negotiations

* IT/digital topics

* The future EU budget

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #791 on: June 07, 2018, 12:07:59 PM »

The List Pilz is literally killing itself at the moment, like the Team Stronach or the BZÖ:

http://www.krone.at/1714770

Their total mess continues ... (text)

In a surprising turn of events, Peter Pilz has managed to return to parliament.

After MP Peter Kolba resigned his seat because of heavy party infighting recently, Maria Stern (a woman's rights activist and next on the list) refused to take her seat in parliament today. But for a good reason: By refusing the seat, it allows Pilz to return to parliament (after a few other seat shuffles, which are only a formality) and they have an agreement that Maria Stern will become the new party leader (while Pilz will become parliamentary group leader instead).

Martha Bissmann, the rogue MP who took Pilz's seat after his sexual harassment allegations, is the big loser in this recent, nasty intra-party fight: she will likely be thrown out of the List Pilz parliamentary group and will either serve the remaining 4.5 years as an Indy MP or resign her seat, so that someone else from the LiPi list can take her seat instead.

https://derstandard.at/2000081141096/Stern-macht-Weg-fuer-Pilz-frei-und-soll-Parteichefin-werden

IMO, the party is still badly damaged by all the twists and turns recently and the opposition is still attacking Pilz himself for his sexual misconduct allegations (they think that he's not fully cleared yet, despite the case being dropped by the state prosecution).
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #792 on: June 07, 2018, 12:34:52 PM »

A bar owner in Tyrol is being sued in court by the FPÖ (especially Strache and Hofer) for putting up the following sign on the entrance:

"We have to stay out."

(... a slogan that is typically used for signs at shopping centers to keep dogs out)

The FPÖ lawsuit would demand damages of 80.000€ from the bar owner, which would ruin him if he loses.

https://diepresse.com/home/innenpolitik/5440999/Strache-und-Hofer-klagen_80000-Euro-Prozesskosten-fuer-Tiroler-Wirt
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #793 on: June 08, 2018, 12:40:38 AM »

ÖVP-FPÖ starts cracking down hard on political Islam:

7 mosques will be closed immediately and more than 40 imams deported.

Press conference at 8am.

http://orf.at/m/stories/2441928

Excellent news.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #794 on: June 08, 2018, 09:09:22 AM »

A new "Heute" newspaper poll (June 4-6, n=800, online+phone) shows the ÖVP+FPÖ government gaining significantly in popularity:

Approval rating:

58% approve (+8%)
36% disapprove (-9%)

By party:

Vote choice for federal elections:

Historical polling results:

Right or wrong that Austria supports the Russian EU-sanctions ?

http://www.heute.at/politik/news/story/OEVP-unangefochten--Liste-Pilz-pulverisiert-SPOE-FPOE-Gruene-Wahlen-Umfrage-Sebastian-Kurz-Peter-Pilz-Heinz-Christian-Strache-Christian-Kern-49266808
rob in cal
« Reply #795 on: June 08, 2018, 10:54:10 AM »

I'm intrigued by the 28% of SPO voters who are somewhat approving of the government.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #796 on: June 08, 2018, 12:16:26 PM »

I'm intrigued by the 28% of SPO voters who are somewhat approving of the government.

Well ... I'm one of them (voted SPÖ-Kern and approve of the new government).
Omega21

« Reply #797 on: June 08, 2018, 12:40:27 PM »

There are people who vote for the Left but agree with the current government on some issues, mainly immigration and such, just like Tender.

Most people now realize the issues of the "welcome policy" i.e. letting everyone in, just look at the recent sh*tstorm Merkel faced after a rejected Asylum Seeker murdered a girl in Germany.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #798 on: June 09, 2018, 01:20:03 AM »

Next week, some changes in the Nationalrat and Bundesrat will take place:

After Peter Kolba stepped down as MP for the "List Pilz" recently, party founder Peter Pilz will return to the Nationalrat and be sworn in as an MP on Monday.

The "List Pilz" will then decide whether to kick out Martha Bissmann from their parliamentary group. Bissmann has refused to vacate her seat for the party founder, after he was cleared by the state prosecution from his sexual misconduct allegations.

On Wednesday, the new Salzburg State government (ÖVP-Greens-NEOS) will be sworn in. There will be hearings on Monday for the new government members, but this is only a formality.

Once the new Salzburg government is sworn in, this will also change the composition of the Bundesrat - the parliamentary chamber that represents the states, according to recent state election results.

The new (and final) composition in the Bundesrat after all state elections this year: 22 ÖVP, 21 SPÖ, 16 FPÖ (+4), 2 Greens (-2). "Others" also lost 2 seats.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #799 on: June 11, 2018, 12:08:50 PM »

Next week, some changes in the Nationalrat and Bundesrat will take place:

After Peter Kolba stepped down as MP for the "List Pilz" recently, party founder Peter Pilz will return to the Nationalrat and be sworn in as an MP on Monday.

The "List Pilz" will then decide whether to kick out Martha Bissmann from their parliamentary group. Bissmann has refused to vacate her seat for the party founder, after he was cleared by the state prosecution from his sexual misconduct allegations.

On Wednesday, the new Salzburg State government (ÖVP-Greens-NEOS) will be sworn in. There will be hearings on Monday for the new government members, but this is only a formality.

Once the new Salzburg government is sworn in, this will also change the composition of the Bundesrat - the parliamentary chamber that represents the states, according to recent state election results.

The new (and final) composition in the Bundesrat after all state elections this year: 22 ÖVP, 21 SPÖ, 16 FPÖ (+4), 2 Greens (-2). "Others" also lost 2 seats.

Virtually all female MPs in parliament walked out today as Pilz was sworn in ... Tongue

Video of the walkout:

http://iptv.orf.at/stories/2442339

Only the female MPs from the List Pilz and Doris Bures (SPÖ) remained in parliament, because she's 3rd Vice-Speaker - but later sent out a statement clarifying that she also would have walked out, her duties aside.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 47  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies