55% of White Americans feel discriminated against because of their race
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:09:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  55% of White Americans feel discriminated against because of their race
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 55% of White Americans feel discriminated against because of their race  (Read 3661 times)
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 25, 2017, 10:58:00 PM »

This is gonna go well...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://time.com/4996106/discrimination-white-people-survey-poll/
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 11:07:24 PM »

Well duh.

Discrimination by association of the majority [while getting very few to none of "the privileges"] is always more subtle and harder to pin down. There's a lot more plausible deniability going on.

Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 11:08:14 PM »
« Edited: October 25, 2017, 11:10:07 PM by Green Line »

Don't ask if you don't want to hear the answer.  Having a serious discussion about race in this country, which is the common refrain amongst the left, means doing more than just lecturing to white Americans about how they need to shut up.  

The fact that they can't name specific examples doesn't mean there is no discrimination.  Listening to the rhetoric coming from many people in this country, constantly generalizing and insulting white people, would definitely lead some to perceive discrimination.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 11:14:22 PM »

moderate hero stance to the rescue:

there are mild, modest and mostly inconsequential ways that whites are discriminated against, but they are nowhere near the magnitude of a) the privileges they get by being white and b) the discrimination that non-white people face
AtorBoltox

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 11:18:46 PM »

Americans are deplorable
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 11:20:02 PM »

Lots of people want to be victims when they really are not. Congress is 80% white, the President and VP are white, the cabinet is mostly white. Almost all Governors are white and most CEOs of major corporations are white. That's being in the driver's seat, not being discriminated against.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 11:21:21 PM »

Telling the people of Elliot County, Kentucky that they had white privilege backfired.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 11:24:27 PM »

Eh.

It is hard to see your white privilege when you are living hand to mouth, and do not know if your lights will be on next month. White supremacy is steeped into everything. It is not just about having wealth and access. A lot of it is subliminal--- it is there but I can understand how many do not see it and take the attacks against "white supremacy" personal. It is an attack on their culture and I am sure it may be difficult to process that.

That's why racism in this country will never go away.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 11:29:56 PM »

Leave it to a "progressive" Bernie Bro to back right-wing logic. There are white people who actually believe that blacks get free education, free food, free housing, etc and we all know that it a total lie. You don't blame groups of people for your economic problems, because that is not the answer.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 11:38:27 PM »

Eh.

It is hard to see your white privilege when you are living hand to mouth, and do not know if your lights will be on next month. White supremacy is steeped into everything. It is not just about having wealth and access. A lot of it is subliminal--- it is there but I can understand how many do not see it and take the attacks against "white supremacy" personal. It is an attack on their culture and I am sure it may be difficult to process that.

Sure, it's bad when people of any race are living hand-to-mouth, but lots of types of people live in that condition. It's white privilege to have your condition become the focal point of the national political dialogue when you feel under attack. How much did we hear the conversation accommodate the plight of the black working class, the Hispanic homeless community, or unemployment on reservations after Obama won? The fact that Trump's win has made it a cornerstone of American politics that we need to respect certain demographics of white people is pretty obvious white privilege. I'm not saying it's wrong to say we need to listen to and address the needs of whites (we should be addressing the needs of the wwc), but I'm saying it's something that's afforded to whites that isn't afforded to others in any mainstream way.

(also I'm using the general "your" instead of directly referring to OP)
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 11:41:26 PM »

Lots of people want to be victims when they really are not. Congress is 80% white, the President and VP are white, the cabinet is mostly white. Almost all Governors are white and most CEOs of major corporations are white. That's being in the driver's seat, not being discriminated against.

By 'discriminated against' they mean a combination of:
-not getting the same benefit from being white that their recent ancestors did
-not getting as much from their birth as some other people do
-people who aren't white wanting (and sometimes getting) real equality across the board
-being called out for their own prejudices and biases
-having all the above pointed about to them
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2017, 11:43:57 PM »

Leave it to a "progressive" Bernie Bro to back right-wing logic. There are white people who actually believe that blacks get free education, free food, free housing, etc and we all know that it a total lie. You don't blame groups of people for your economic problems, because that is not the answer.

You don't have to think the black people get free sh!t to think that it's kind of tone-deaf for people to be lecturing impoverished rural communities (almost entirely white) that they have privilege because they're white when 70% of families in those impoverished districts have kids on free and reduced lunch and when over half the county residents are on some kind of government aid.

Those people haven't be lectured by white privilege, they more so buy into resentment. Jesse Helms' Hands ad is a perfect example of this. Most of these people feel as if their jobs have been stolen by minorities and that has been the thinking for years.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 12:16:07 AM »
« Edited: October 26, 2017, 12:42:33 AM by Senator Scott, PPT🍂 »

"White privilege" needs to be extinguished as a phrase.  I don't doubt the fact that non-white Americans face challenges that white Americans don't.  I don't believe society has come anywhere close to erasing its poor legacy on race relations.  But it is not that white people are at a structural advantage, rather that minorities are at a structural disadvantage.  You cannot build a rainbow coalition on meaningless feelings of collective guilt.

But, of course, most of the people who frequently invoke terms like "white privilege" are white themselves.  This should not come as a surprise to anyone.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2017, 12:24:26 AM »

We are discriminated against.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2017, 12:31:44 AM »

Everyone is discriminated against in their own way. Yet instead of recognizing that, we take it out on others.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2017, 12:46:16 AM »

Well, we are. Affirmative Action is just a fancy word for racism against whites. And a lot of the BLM stuff seems to support giving blaxicans MORE rights than whites.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2017, 01:23:24 AM »

"White privilege" needs to be extinguished as a phrase.  I don't doubt the fact that non-white Americans face challenges that white Americans don't.  I don't believe society has come anywhere close to erasing its poor legacy on race relations.  But it is not that white people are at a structural advantage, rather that minorities are at a structural disadvantage.  You cannot build a rainbow coalition on meaningless feelings of collective guilt.

But, of course, most of the people who frequently invoke terms like "white privilege" are white themselves.  This should not come as a surprise to anyone.

If I'm running a race and all the other people in the race either have sprained ankles or heavy weights strapped to their bodies, I can't credibly say I won the race because I "worked harder and am just more athletic" and that because "nobody helped me" the result is perfectly legitimate.

Absence of disadvantages is, in and of itself, an advantage. That's what a lot of white people who insist "Nobody ever gave me any handouts or help!" don't understand.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2017, 04:33:43 AM »

In regards to white privilege, there is an element of white privilege, that you are more likely to have less experience with discrimination. This privilege is very limited to class privilege, meaning that a white person person in rural WV is more persecuted than a wealthy black person in wherever.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2017, 05:54:51 AM »

If I'm running a race and all the other people in the race either have sprained ankles or heavy weights strapped to their bodies, I can't credibly say I won the race because I "worked harder and am just more athletic" and that because "nobody helped me" the result is perfectly legitimate.

Absence of disadvantages is, in and of itself, an advantage. That's what a lot of white people who insist "Nobody ever gave me any handouts or help!" don't understand.

And what others fail to understand is that it's perfectly natural that those whose only advantage is a relative lack of disadvantage would look askance at schemes that seem to try equalize things by giving them disadvantages.

It's why I think that resolution of our remaining problems will need to focus on helping the poor of all ethnicities far more than trying to aid specific ethnic groups.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2017, 07:52:21 AM »

White Americans are struggling, yes, just like many others in the country.  But their struggles are not stemmed from racial discrimination in the same way that minority struggles are stemmed from racial discrimination.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2017, 07:55:32 AM »

Snowflake-ism at its worst.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2017, 07:58:15 AM »

Donald Trump is president
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2017, 09:16:25 AM »

Eh.

Sure, it's bad when people of any race are living hand-to-mouth, but lots of types of people live in that condition. It's white privilege to have your condition become the focal point of the national political dialogue when you feel under attack. How much did we hear the conversation accommodate the plight of the black working class, the Hispanic homeless community, or unemployment on reservations after Obama won? The fact that Trump's win has made it a cornerstone of American politics that we need to respect certain demographics of white people is pretty obvious white privilege. I'm not saying it's wrong to say we need to listen to and address the needs of whites (we should be addressing the needs of the wwc), but I'm saying it's something that's afforded to whites that isn't afforded to others in any mainstream way.

(also I'm using the general "your" instead of directly referring to OP)
I wholeheartedly agree, but as another poster in the thread mentioned a lot of these people have a victim complex so trying to explain this to them is like talking to a brick wall. They are convinced that they are oppressed because people are fighting for the same visibility they have had for years.

I thought it disheartening that the last election cycle spent so much time on white people in the Rust Belt, when there are black people in the rural South literally living in third world conditions and dying while GOP governors and super majorities completely ignore them.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2017, 09:23:58 AM »

moderate hero stance to the rescue:

there are mild, modest and mostly inconsequential ways that whites are discriminated against, but they are nowhere near the magnitude of a) the privileges they get by being white and b) the discrimination that non-white people face
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2017, 09:52:17 AM »

Eh.

Very few people would argue that there aren't elements of "institutional racism" in our country or that minorities don't face more discrimination on average than Whites, but many would argue that there is a point where it doesn't matter anymore.  If a dirt poor White man living in Appalachia has some inherent advantage in society over a dirt poor Black woman living in the Black Belt, it is so negligible that it's ridiculous to bring it into the conversation.  When someone DOES bring it up (i.e., suggests that ALL White people, no matter how unfortunate their life circumstances are, have this inherent privilege simply because they are White), it will inevitably come off as discriminating against those people, IMO.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies