State run by Democrats turning into a Third World Country
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:06:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  State run by Democrats turning into a Third World Country
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: State run by Democrats turning into a Third World Country  (Read 6399 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2017, 01:50:11 PM »

And you people keep wondering why I hate warm climates.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2017, 02:02:25 PM »

If you're rich, California is the greatest state/province/area on the planet.

California has a global raking of being the 6th largest economy on the planet.
Higher than entire nations like France and India.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2017, 02:47:03 PM »

Glad I don't live there.

Also this:

California is turning into a country? Good riddance!

#LETCASECEDE

If California seceded, I’d be in my car in a heartbeat.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2017, 03:11:05 PM »

Glad I don't live there.

Also this:

California is turning into a country? Good riddance!

#LETCASECEDE

If California seceded, I’d be in my car in a heartbeat.

Better keep a pristine record and avoid blame, because you're f*&ked out a renewal with even 2 points [unless you're good at tests]
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2017, 03:24:36 PM »

So we're just going to ignore the parts of WV, MS, AL and KY that have been 3rd world countries for a long time and will only get worse?

Why don't we give Republicans any meaningful time having any power in KY and WV before we chalk up their problems to GOP policy, LOL.  MS and AL are better examples, though it's worth pointing out that both were arguably in even worse shape when Democrats controlled them.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2017, 03:30:41 PM »

What a ridiculous definition of 'Third World'.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2017, 03:32:37 PM »

The difference is that California has the resources to do better, but it doesn't. In some ways the state has regressed more than 100 years. I mean, This was almost as bad as the Triangle Shirtwaist factory fire, even though it didn't get much attention at the time.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2017, 03:36:12 PM »

So we're just going to ignore the parts of WV, MS, AL and KY that have been 3rd world countries for a long time and will only get worse?

Why don't we give Republicans any meaningful time having any power in KY and WV before we chalk up their problems to GOP policy, LOL.  MS and AL are better examples, though it's worth pointing out that both were arguably in even worse shape when Democrats controlled them.

Yeah, all those conservative Democrats that became Republicans should be ashamed!
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2017, 03:45:28 PM »

WV was dominated by the democrats for 7 decades and your going to blame the GOP for that state's problem.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2017, 03:49:28 PM »

WV was dominated by the democrats for 7 decades and your going to blame the GOP for that state's problem.
WV's economic woes are neither party's fault.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2017, 03:53:18 PM »

This outbreak could happen in any part of America.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2017, 03:53:31 PM »

That is true but the other poster was trying to imply it was the GOP fault and all I said was you can't then blame the GOP for WV problems.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2017, 03:58:54 PM »

That is true but the other poster was trying to imply it was the GOP fault and all I said was you can't then blame the GOP for WV problems.
Fair enough.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2017, 04:27:35 PM »

Yeah, all those conservative Democrats that became Republicans should be ashamed!

Democratic Governors of Alabama since 1964, the YEAR EVERYTHING CHANGED (year they became Republicans in parentheses)Sad
Don Siegelman (Never)
Jim Folsom, Jr. (Never)
George Wallace (Never)
Fob James (1994)
Albert Brewer (Never)
Lurleen Wallace (Never)

Democratic Governors of Mississippi since 1964, the YEAR EVERYTHING CHANGED (year they became Republicans in parentheses)Sad
Ronnie Musgrove (Never)
Ray Mabus (Never)
William Alain (Never)
William Winter (Never)
Cliff Finch (Never)
William Waller (Never)
Jon Bell Williams (Never)
Paul B. Johnson, Jr. (Never)
Ross Barnett (Never)

So, out of all of those Democratic governors, one became a Republican.  Mostly false?  Obviously the state legislatures changed at some point during the last 20-30 years, but governors is one of the better proxies for who had control, given Democrats controlled those legislatures for decades.

Moving on to your next claim that all of these Democrats who resided over the governance of Alabama and Mississippi were "conservatives" (a subjective term in its own right), I guess I will just let you believe that.  They all ran against and beat Republican challengers, and something set them apart from their opponent.  I would argue it is that their opponent was more conservative than they were.  To go all third grader and suggest that the South hasn't gotten more CONSERVATIVE over the last 30 years as opposed to just more Republican is below this site.

Anyway, sorry to derail the thread!  MAYBE, just maybe, some places have troubles that have very little do with which party is currently winning their electoral votes ... crazy, I know.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2017, 04:40:58 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2017, 11:26:38 PM by IceSpear »

You just listed the 4 best states in America.

(just noticed this lady looks exactly like Paula Jean Swearengin, LOL)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2017, 09:51:38 PM »

I feel like now is the time to point out that Arkansas is doing amazing - we have the lowest unemployment ever recorded in state history.
Vincent
azpol76
United States

« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2017, 10:00:26 PM »

Why don't we give Republicans any meaningful time having any power in KY and WV before we chalk up their problems to GOP policy, LOL.  MS and AL are better examples, though it's worth pointing out that both were arguably in even worse shape when Democrats controlled them.

Democratic Governors of Alabama since 1964, the YEAR EVERYTHING CHANGED (year they became Republicans in parentheses)Sad
Don Siegelman (Never)
Jim Folsom, Jr. (Never)
George Wallace (Never)
Fob James (1994)
Albert Brewer (Never)
Lurleen Wallace (Never)

Democratic Governors of Mississippi since 1964, the YEAR EVERYTHING CHANGED (year they became Republicans in parentheses)Sad
Ronnie Musgrove (Never)
Ray Mabus (Never)
William Alain (Never)
William Winter (Never)
Cliff Finch (Never)
William Waller (Never)
Ross Barnett (Never)

So, out of all of those Democratic governors, one became a Republican.  Mostly false?  Obviously the state legislatures changed at some point during the last 20-30 years, but governors is one of the better proxies for who had control, given Democrats controlled those legislatures for decades.

Moving on to your next claim that all of these Democrats who resided over the governance of Alabama and Mississippi were "conservatives" (a subjective term in its own right), I guess I will just let you believe that.  They all ran against and beat Republican challengers, and something set them apart from their opponent.  I would argue it is that their opponent was more conservative than they were.  To go all third grader and suggest that the South hasn't gotten more CONSERVATIVE over the last 30 years as opposed to just more Republican is below this site.

Anyway, sorry to derail the thread!  MAYBE, just maybe, some places have troubles that have very little do with which party is currently winning their electoral votes ... crazy, I know.

To argue that the Democrats controlling these states were conservative, how about we look at the adoption of "right to work" laws? I believe we can agree that a state adopting and sustaining rtw laws is not being governed by liberals.

Arkansas - 1944
Florida - 1944
Virginia - 1947
Tennesse - 1947
North Carolina - 1947
Georgia - 1947
Texas - 1947
Alabama - 1953
Mississipi - 1954
South Carolina - 1954
Louisiana - 1976

https://nrtwc.org/facts/state-right-to-work-timeline-2016/

So 10/11 former states of the Confederacy had adopted right to work laws by 1955. Louisiana Followed suit in 1976. They all did this under Democratic control.

(Of course, two states mentioned earlier in this thread, Kentucky and West Virginia, are recent adopters of RTW laws and clearly had a stronger organized labor presence.)

While this metric is not the end all be all of everything, it demonstrates a level of economic conservatism, especially when considering the role organized labor has played in American Liberalism.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2017, 11:49:04 PM »

Why don't we give Republicans any meaningful time having any power in KY and WV before we chalk up their problems to GOP policy, LOL.  MS and AL are better examples, though it's worth pointing out that both were arguably in even worse shape when Democrats controlled them.

Don Siegelman (Never)
Jim Folsom, Jr. (Never)
George Wallace (Never)
Fob James (1994)
Albert Brewer (Never)
Lurleen Wallace (Never)

Ronnie Musgrove (Never)
Ray Mabus (Never)
William Alain (Never)
William Winter (Never)
Cliff Finch (Never)
William Waller (Never)
Ross Barnett (Never)

So, out of all of those Democratic governors, one became a Republican.  Mostly false?  Obviously the state legislatures changed at some point during the last 20-30 years, but governors is one of the better proxies for who had control, given Democrats controlled those legislatures for decades.

Moving on to your next claim that all of these Democrats who resided over the governance of Alabama and Mississippi were "conservatives" (a subjective term in its own right), I guess I will just let you believe that.  They all ran against and beat Republican challengers, and something set them apart from their opponent.  I would argue it is that their opponent was more conservative than they were.  To go all third grader and suggest that the South hasn't gotten more CONSERVATIVE over the last 30 years as opposed to just more Republican is below this site.

Anyway, sorry to derail the thread!  MAYBE, just maybe, some places have troubles that have very little do with which party is currently winning their electoral votes ... crazy, I know.

To argue that the Democrats controlling these states were conservative, how about we look at the adoption of "right to work" laws? I believe we can agree that a state adopting and sustaining rtw laws is not being governed by liberals.

Arkansas - 1944
Florida - 1944
Virginia - 1947
Tennesse - 1947
North Carolina - 1947
Georgia - 1947
Texas - 1947
Alabama - 1953
Mississipi - 1954
South Carolina - 1954
Louisiana - 1976

So 10/11 former states of the Confederacy had adopted right to work laws by 1955. Louisiana Followed suit in 1976. They all did this under Democratic control.

(Of course, two states mentioned earlier in this thread, Kentucky and West Virginia, are recent adopters of RTW laws and clearly had a stronger organized labor presence.)

While this metric is not the end all be all of everything, it demonstrates a level of economic conservatism, especially when considering the role organized labor has played in American Liberalism.

That is because these states were mostly one party states and their establishments were deeply tied to the Business interests since they were ones in power. Once that began to change in the 1950's, you began to see more of a drift of business aligned interests towards the Republicans.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2017, 12:00:24 AM »

The last Democratic Governors of these Southern states were people who got elected a by a coalition of African-Americans and Yellow-Dog New Dealers. They were either New South Democrats like Sanford and Carter or New Democrats like Bill Clinton. A lot of people switched parties out of convenience and then evolved to match their parties after doing so, this certainly happened with a number of State Legislators and Congressman, but I would note in terms of education policy and other issues these Democratic Majorities were leagues different than their Republican successors. And I would note that opportunists aside, and while certainly more moderate on social issues, it is over generalization in the highest to label all of them as Conservatives and frankly MasterJedi, you know better. Tongue
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2017, 12:03:22 AM »

Say what you want about Bill Clinton, but it's true that New Democrats like him were the last to build biracial coalitions in the South, and today he's considered literally the devil, worse than Hitler.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2017, 12:05:46 AM »

Say what you want about Bill Clinton, but it's true that New Democrats like him were the last to build biracial coalitions in the South, and today he's considered literally the devil, worse than Hitler.

Well he has no one to blame, but himself and his appetites.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2017, 12:06:32 AM »

Well he has no one to blame, but himself and his appetites.

Execute him, he should be drawn and quartered. Along with our current president.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2017, 12:32:29 AM »

SD and CA in general has the best of both worlds. Great weather, bad drought periods; good economy for some, crappy opportunity for others; good cities but with homeless and trash on the streets. I have personally seen this when I was stationed out there so it doesn't surprise me that SD has this problem. They need to enforce a zero tolerance policy for homelessness and put these folks up in half-way houses or something similar. This has been done by Utah http://www.npr.org/2015/12/10/459100751/utah-reduced-chronic-homelessness-by-91-percent-heres-how

California without tech and movies would be another ag state but a huge one. It would be a large MS with a lot more ppl. It is a highly overrated and expensive state in which to live in or start a business.
The dumbest take so far.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2017, 07:57:42 AM »

SD and CA in general has the best of both worlds. Great weather, bad drought periods; good economy for some, crappy opportunity for others; good cities but with homeless and trash on the streets. I have personally seen this when I was stationed out there so it doesn't surprise me that SD has this problem. They need to enforce a zero tolerance policy for homelessness and put these folks up in half-way houses or something similar. This has been done by Utah http://www.npr.org/2015/12/10/459100751/utah-reduced-chronic-homelessness-by-91-percent-heres-how

California without tech and movies would be another ag state but a huge one. It would be a large MS with a lot more ppl. It is a highly overrated and expensive state in which to live in or start a business.
The dumbest take so far.

The state's agricultural sales first exceeded $30 billion in 2004, making it more than twice the size of any other state's agriculture industry. California is the leading dairy state. Milk is California's number one farm commodity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_California

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/31/Gross_Domestic_Product_of_California_2008_%28millions_of_current_dollars%29.svg

Finance, govt, retail, and construction make up the biggest chunks of CA industry http://www.latimes.com/visuals/graphics/la-oe-g-california-gdp-20150601-htmlstory.html

So like many ag states that have retail, construction, and some finance, CA would be largely an service sector/ag state but a large one. So do tell how my take is the dumbest.
Vincent
azpol76
United States

« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2017, 06:39:08 PM »

Don Siegelman (Never)
Jim Folsom, Jr. (Never)
George Wallace (Never)
Fob James (1994)
Albert Brewer (Never)
Lurleen Wallace (Never)

Ronnie Musgrove (Never)
Ray Mabus (Never)
William Alain (Never)
William Winter (Never)
Cliff Finch (Never)
William Waller (Never)
Ross Barnett (Never)

Arkansas - 1944
Florida - 1944
Virginia - 1947
Tennesse - 1947
North Carolina - 1947
Georgia - 1947
Texas - 1947
Alabama - 1953
Mississipi - 1954
South Carolina - 1954
Louisiana - 1976

That is because these states were mostly one party states and their establishments were deeply tied to the Business interests since they were ones in power. Once that began to change in the 1950's, you began to see more of a drift of business aligned interests towards the Republicans.

That is consistent with the point I was making. I also agree with your later post regarding this issue being more complex than "party switching". My main objection was the idea that the old South was a hotbed of progressive policy or that the Democrats who dominated it were largely liberal.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies